ClayB

Yaklady on the cover of the LCSJ

Randy mentioned an article by his son Riley in the latest issue of the LCSJ. I just wanted to mention that the cover of this issue is carved by Kathy Flanagan (did pronounce that right Kathy?) aka Yaklady. Congrats on your first cover Kathy. There is also a nice article in the magazine that tells how she carved the cover. It's really fun to see articles like these written by your friends. Keep 'em coming Riley and Kathy!

Congrates Kathy !! :wavey:

Don't forget there's an interview with Yaklady / Kathy right here on LeatherWorker.net also.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Congratulations Kathy, can't wait to get my copy in the mail.

Kathy,

I'd like to add my congradulations. Not only are you helpful here on the forum but, a famous front cover artist too. Maybe National Geographic or Smithsonian cover next!!! :clapping: I'd vote for ya!

Regis

Kathy, congratulations, you are getting to be so famous. I wonder....was it because you were the first guest on the freal show? Makes ya kinda want to get in line to be a guest. Just like back in the days of Johnny Carson...LOL

Ken

Hurrah for the YakLady! Congratulations; could someone please scan the cover so those of use who do not have the magazine could see it too? Please just ignore the suggestion if it's not a good idea for some reason.

cover1.jpg

Here's a picture for you, Braider. Sorry, but I don't have one with all the writing and stuff on it!

I think it was the freak show that brought me to the surface. No one else could possibly present me to the public like freak can. The Dave Reis just couldn't resist such amuzment. With all this attention, maybe I should go get a face lift or something. Or at least a new hat like Clay's. Should I bring a yak to Sheridan to have photo sessions with? Maybe then I could make it onto National Geographic.

Clay, I think you pronounced my name right this time. Now if I can get yours right . . .

Thank you all, you wonderful people!

Kathy

post-1462-1210288467_thumb.jpg

Kathy - GORGEOUS! Thanks so much - what a treat to see this, and NO WONDER you got chosen to be the cover! :yes:

Now - did you get 50 copies or so for all your friends and family? You'll need at least that many...

Very nice job, it is really beautiful.

That is very nice work. I like the way you blend the back ground. Is that a matt tool or a backgrounder. Is the yak deal a joke or do you actually raise them??

That's one heck of carving what is it for.

Thank you, Braider! I did find a couple extra issues in my mailbox, but no where near 50. I'll have to talk to Dave about that!

Doug, I used the A104, my all time favorite, close in to the pattern. Then I used Bob Beard's matter to blend it out. Bob makes the best matting tools in the whole world. I couldn't have blended it that well with out it.

I really do raise yaks, and I really did put one in the freezer. He really did want to kill me. He really tastes really good, too! I'm hoping to have my first calves this summer. I only have three yaks, a bull and 2 heifers, and they're all young.

yak1.jpg

This is Yogi, my bull.

yak2.jpg

This is Pabu. That's Tibetan for "Puff ball"

yak3.jpg

This is Pubari, which is Tibetan for "Good". She's the sweetest one.

They live on my mother's acerage to keep it zoned agricultural. I chose yaks because they don't eat much and they can take care of themselves. They are pretty cool creatures.

jbird, I didn't make it for any specific purpose. I just wanted to practice what I learned from Pete Gorrell about drawing patterns. I mostly liked the way it turned out, so I gave it to Dave. He went bonkers over it, and, well, here it is!

post-1462-1210347860_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210347924_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210348053_thumb.jpg

We've had roping steers end up in the freezer also. Sometimes it's the little things in life that give you the most pleasure.

You said "I just wanted to practice what I learned from Pete Gorrell about drawing patterns."

did you take his class or was this learned from his new book?

Doug, did the roping steers start chasing you around like my bull chased me?

Anne, I took a class from Pete in Wickenburg last year. That was one of the best classes I ever took. I have one of his books to refresh my memory when needed.

Guess I will have to order that book. I was waiting to hear what some one thought of it.

Thanks

Congratulations, Kathy! It's a really nice piece you tooled there. Can hardly wait to get my copy of LCSJ so I can study it and see how you made it.

Thank you, Braider! I did find a couple extra issues in my mailbox, but no where near 50. I'll have to talk to Dave about that!

Doug, I used the A104, my all time favorite, close in to the pattern. Then I used Bob Beard's matter to blend it out. Bob makes the best matting tools in the whole world. I couldn't have blended it that well with out it.

I really do raise yaks, and I really did put one in the freezer. He really did want to kill me. He really tastes really good, too! I'm hoping to have my first calves this summer. I only have three yaks, a bull and 2 heifers, and they're all young.

yak1.jpg

This is Yogi, my bull.

yak2.jpg

This is Pabu. That's Tibetan for "Puff ball"

yak3.jpg

This is Pubari, which is Tibetan for "Good". She's the sweetest one.

They live on my mother's acerage to keep it zoned agricultural. I chose yaks because they don't eat much and they can take care of themselves. They are pretty cool creatures.

jbird, I didn't make it for any specific purpose. I just wanted to practice what I learned from Pete Gorrell about drawing patterns. I mostly liked the way it turned out, so I gave it to Dave. He went bonkers over it, and, well, here it is!

Kathy, may I ask how tall these beasts grow? Build looks a mite swaybacked also.

Tony.

Roping steers have many admirable traits! But one thing to remember. If you believe in reincarnation, being a roping steer would be the equivalent of the place where all of the cowboys end up who have been very very bad!!!!!!

Anne, there are remarks about Pete's book under Patterns and Templates, "Found a Good Book". You can order direct from Pete at 719-746-2311. He's a good guy with a good book.

Myriam, Thank you for the kind words. I hope the acrticle gives people new ideas on how to do that kind of thing on leather.

Tony, The "beasts" are not very big. right now, the ladies are no taller than a welsh pony, 13 hands. The bull is at least a hand higher, even though he's younger. He will keep growing until he's about 6 years old. They say the bulls can reach a weight of 1200 to 1700 pounds, but I'm not sure of the height. They have a large hump, similar to a bison. Not all of them are sway-backed, but Pabu sure is.

Doug, Is that kind of like a bad yak ending up in the freezer?