Who is going to Wickenburg? Any suggestions for a first-timer?

Johanna

I'm planning on being there. Candy store for leatherworkers.

My suggestion is to bring lots of money. For some reason Barry King gets $$$$ in his eyes when he sees me coming. I couldn't even pass him last month at the NFR without giving him some of my money. Oh well, money well spent.

First thing - go down to the river and drink some Hassayampa River water - local legend.

1)We stayed at the Las Viejaros or something like that. It was alright for us.

2)Best T-bones I ever ate were at Circle 7 or something like that. I had to eat there twice in a row to prove it to myself. Yep, the second one was as good. Mine were medium rare. For entertainment, watch Barry King eat one nearly raw.

3) The museum in Wickenburg is great. well worth a visit.

4) Visit the jail, I think Bob Park told me he was born there. Maybe they have a sign?

5) Be on the lookout for anyone named Harvey.

This will be my first time to go to Wickenburg. I have had the chance to go to Sheridan but it has been several years now. I am looking forward to going, so I'm pinching pennies and stretching the dollars in order to enjoy the merchants. I have seen the list of classes but nothing on activites. Is there usually judging and if so what are the catagories?

Who is going to Wickenburg? Any suggestions for a first-timer?

Johanna

Gee, your FIRST time, Johanna?? I hope it'll be good for you!

Let's hit the Bar 7 for dinner (that's what Bruce calls the Circle 7). It's across the street from the Circle K at THE stoplight. I know Bruce can vouch for their alcoholic content, too. I'm staying this year at Super 8, be there Wed & Thurs. nights. Thursday night there's generally a fun-filled soiree at the courtyard across the street from the Bar 7. Live music, outdoor eats, restaurants, lost of folks. I forget the name of the leather shop there. BRING A JACKET OR SWEATSHIRT. When the sun goes down, it does get cool (unless you've been hanging some Coors Anti-Freeze.).

I'll be lookin' for you!

Harvey

This will be my first time to go to Wickenburg. I have had the chance to go to Sheridan but it has been several years now. I am looking forward to going, so I'm pinching pennies and stretching the dollars in order to enjoy the merchants. I have seen the list of classes but nothing on activites. Is there usually judging and if so what are the catagories?

Jana, I can't tell you much about the judging and categories; they have in the past had some pieces by the entrance when you first come in, but it's not like Sheridan at all. Kind of on the small side as far as entries go. Dave Reis from the Leather Crafters Journal could probably tell you about that; you could e-mail him or just meet him at the front table.

The show is also considerably smaller; you can go through it all in a couple of hours. BUT . . . the good part of that is it leaves you plenty of time to go back and spend ample time with the vendors of your choice. As far as activities, there's "sight-seeing" in the area; the Caballeros Museum (worth the stop), a saddle shop right there on Tegner, some jewelry stores and antique stores, and just hooking up with folks and having lunch/dinner, etc. Plenty of nice small, folksy, homey places to eat. If you find you're the Lone Rangeress, feel free to look me up at the Super 8. Most of the time, I'm reasonable company.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey, I am looking forward to going and it sounds like it will be rather relaxed. I have a project in the works that might be finished in time to bring along... we'll see.

There is no competition in Wickenburg. Once they had a "potrait" carving contest, but that was only once. One piece of advice: get your hotel reservations early, like now. The rooms are few and go fast.

Do vendors typically offer better prices at the shows than their normal phone or internet sales?

Hi everyone, I will be there, come by and see me. I would like to meet those of you that I have not met yet. It's a great town, I am sure you will have a very good time! Thanks, Steve

Why I live in the area so I will be going. Sure looking forward to meeting any of you LW folks. I here that the evening festivities are a lot of fun too.

Gee, your FIRST time, Johanna?? I hope it'll be good for you!

Let's hit the Bar 7 for dinner (that's what Bruce calls the Circle 7). It's across the street from the Circle K at THE stoplight. I know Bruce can vouch for their alcoholic content, too. I'm staying this year at Super 8, be there Wed & Thurs. nights. Thursday night there's generally a fun-filled soiree at the courtyard across the street from the Bar 7. Live music, outdoor eats, restaurants, lost of folks. I forget the name of the leather shop there. BRING A JACKET OR SWEATSHIRT. When the sun goes down, it does get cool (unless you've been hanging some Coors Anti-Freeze.).

I'll be lookin' for you!

Harvey

Hey Harvey, it's King Crown Custom Leather. Steve

Harvey, Johanna, Bobby, Steve, et al,

A fine spouse said that four nights in Las Vegas is about right and I agree. We are going to go to Wickenburg after all. What was that old Geritol deal - "My wife, I think I'll keep 'er"? Yeah... Called tonight and got into the Best Western downtown there. They still have some rooms, but are getting close. We will get there sometime Weds afternoon, partake of a T-bone at the Bar 7, and move it on over to the Circle K later on I imagine. Show Thursday and the soiree that night. We'll start towards home sometime Friday I imagine.

For anyone that might be interested, I will be substituting for Paul Zalesak in the classes he was scheduled to teach at the Wickenburg, AZ show.

The classes are:

SWIVEL KNIFE: Introduction and Theory Wednesday, Feb 17th, morning

SWIVEL KNIFE: Practice. Wednesday, Feb 17th, afternoon

For anyone who doesn't know me I have attached some photos of my knife work...these were the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place entries in the 2009 Billy Wootres Swivel Knife Contest held in Wickenburg last year.

I just wanted to let everyone know about the changes and if anyone is interested there are still a few seats left. Please contact the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal or feel free to email me for more information.

Thanks and hope to see you there!

Bob Park

Skull '09 (b)M Signed.jpgPHX '09 (a)M  signed.jpgBird '09 (b)M signed.jpg

post-7682-126607536965_thumb.jpg

post-7682-126607537177_thumb.jpg

post-7682-126607537319_thumb.jpg

Bob

I wish I could attend your class, but, my money is going toward Sheridan. Those patterns are in the mail yesterday

Happy tooling

Tim

Hi everyone, hope all is well. I'm loading up my trailer gettin' ready for Wickenberg. I am leaving tomorrow morning (Valentine's Day), and arriving Sunday evening. I am bringing 2 Cobra Machines to John Bianchi and Matt Whitaker for their holster class that starts on Monday morning. Hope to see you all their! Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you taking those "special set up" machines with you? Everyone needs to see them, I wouldn't buy a machine any other way.

Art

Hi everyone, hope all is well. I'm loading up my trailer gettin' ready for Wickenberg. I am leaving tomorrow morning (Valentine's Day), and arriving Sunday evening. I am bringing 2 Cobra Machines to John Bianchi and Matt Whitaker for their holster class that starts on Monday morning. Hope to see you all their! Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you taking those "special set up" machines with you? Everyone needs to see them, I wouldn't buy a machine any other way.

Art

Hi Art, yes I am. Two of them are going to Bianchi/Whitaker for their class. I'll let you know good buddy. Steve

Hi Art, yes I am. Two of them are going to Bianchi/Whitaker for their class. I'll let you know good buddy. Steve

Just curious if you will bring any post bed machines with you? I'd like to see one (but am not ready to puchase right now).

Can anyone help with the question I posted earlier in this thread...

"Do vendors typically offer better prices at the shows than their normal phone or internet sales?"

I live about an hour away from Wickenburg but even so, the dates of this show make it very hard for me to go. If I know the 'hand tool' prices are not discounted below what they always are then I'm not going worry about trying to make it there.

Anyone?

Can anyone help with the question I posted earlier in this thread...

"Do vendors typically offer better prices at the shows than their normal phone or internet sales?"

I live about an hour away from Wickenburg but even so, the dates of this show make it very hard for me to go. If I know the 'hand tool' prices are not discounted below what they always are then I'm not going worry about trying to make it there.

Anyone?

I would say Not really. There may be a special here and there on certain items, but the prices are generally normal. That being said, I would still recommend going if your that close. I'm planning on being there tomorrow.

I spent today and some $$ there. Casey is right, there may be a few here and there show specials, but usually not many. For me it is not so much looking for a deal as it is hands on comparing. I am a little biased, because I do most of my serious buying of tools at the shows. This show let me compare stamps between Wayne Jueschke, Barry King, Bob Beard, Lana Smith, and Hackbarth and buy based on that. For hand tools, Bob Douglas had new ones he makes, Barry King,Ron Edmonds, Osborne, Weaver, Tandy, and HideCrafter. Bob Douglas and another guy were both there with older refurbished tools. You can compare mauls between Barry and Wayne, swivel knives between Lana Smith, Leather Wranglers, and Barry. Hermann Oak, Wickett & Craig, Sheridan Leather, and Tandy were there with leather. Two sewing machine sellers are set up. You can learn from all of these how something is supposed to work, how they are supposed to be sharpened and maintained too. Just BSing I pick up a lot. The offtime has been really special and entertaining at this show.

I saw these machines today at Wickenburg - YUM! They are great machines and Steve is a great guy.

Hi everyone. Just got back from Wickenberg. It was a very successful show (sold 15 machines), and introduced the new King Cobra Class 4-25 with the new EPS (Electronic Positioning System). The response was great! Sold 4 machines with this new system. You can click on my banner ad then go to Instructional Videos, and watch how it works. It is also on You Tube. Then go to Cobra Machinery, and click on the King Cobra Class 4-25, and read all the features. It was good seeing you all there., and thank you for your support. Steve