wildrose

Favorite part of project?

I know a long while back I asked what folks liked LEAST to do when they are making something, so now I'd like to know what is your favorite part?

I love carving the best. One of the things I love most about leathercraft is that even though I'm left handed, I can used the tools just the same! I find it frustrating when I'm trying to teach it and the kids don't just pick it right up! I have to keep in mind that it takes LOTS of practice.

The final coat of finish.....I love seeing whatever I've taken the time make finshed and all shined up :)

Wildrose, as a fellow lefty I totally feel your pain!

Edited by jammon

My favorite part is coming up with the new idea. Whether it's a simple new stamping pattern, or new design of a bag, when it finally clicks...that's the best part for me.

Well, I just love to sit and lace, there's just something about it that really relaxes me, and gives me my quite time.

Ken

With my masks, i really love when i put color on, it seems to bring the mask alive and it takes on its own personality.

Another lefty here,I love the colouring part of it as I find that relaxes me the most, I would also love carving if it wasn't for the fact that the mallet tapping sets of my husbands pet parrot (pink & grey galah and corella mix)into high pitch screaming mode. I've already made him put the bird outside but the damn thing has suberb hearing I'm just waiting for the neighbours to start complaining about the bird or possibly me yelling at it to shut up.

The noise it makes is equivelent to nails on a chalkboard to our son and I, I've threatened to change every sound on my husbands computers to nails on a chalk board (he particular hates this sound) if he doesn't do something about the bird.

Sorry to vent but the damn thing has been at it's screaming best this afternoon,I was looking forward all day to getting home and working on my project but sure enough within five taps the damn thing starts.

Oh to have a quiet house again

Cheers,

Clair

Yet another lefty checking in! :) I'd have to say my favorite process is hand-stitching. (As long as the seam isn't longer than 12"!)

Gosh, I love each part of what I'm making "until" I make an error [lol]. But, I have to agree that carving/tooling is my favorite. And,,, I do love to see those lines POP when I wipe off the antique.

Nice discussion......also lefty

Edited by Regis

Since most or perhaps all my projects are pretty much worked up from scratch with little or no guidelines from the bit's and pieces I learned here (and that is not little I can tell you, there's lots of details that I can just point at and tell exactly wich person here I learned/got inspired by on this forum) but much of the assembly and shape of things, lining up holes etc. I gotta figure out by myself.

That said I can say I like all steps equally and just wish I had a better brain so I wouldn't sit so long with the figuring out stuff 'cuz it's taking just too long time, that's the largest timethief for me.

So summing it up -I just love the whole process!

Tom

Watching someone appreciating your work by wearing (or using) something you've made, & showing it off to their friends. My son & I sold at a small renfaire this past weekend & got many, many complements on our work (there were 2 other leathercrafters there besides us). The neatest was a pair of snake bracers I sold to a young lady & she wore them the entire weekend. Watching her wear & enjoy then & show them off was worth all the effort I put into their construction.

For me, the best part is holding the project up to the light after the very last step is finished, looking back on the entire process, and being able to say, "Yes, I made this."

Maybe I'm a little skewed in this area, My favorite part is when someone says " That is just what I need, How much?" And we make the exchange, my time and talent for their money! :whistle:

Yet another lefty here, and I have to go along with Holly and say my favorite is carving, especially the decorative cuts. I don't get much call for traditional carvings, so when I do, the decorative cuts are like icing on the cake.

Maybe I'm a little skewed in this area, My favorite part is when someone says " That is just what I need, How much?" And we make the exchange, my time and talent for their money! :whistle:

Yes Jordan, I like it when they say "great, how much do I owe you?" That's the best part, especially when they also say "Will cash do?"

Tony.

On the making side I just love the smell of of the leather and how it feels to the touch. All of that aside I'm with jordon"My favorite part is when someone says " That is just what I need, How much?" And we make the exchange, my time and talent for their money! :whistle: " but even more so when someone gets in contact with me and says they love what i have made for them(either comercially or Just a gift).

I made a set of tooled bracers for a friend(back in my medievial days) for a wedding gift and everytime i see him he brings up how much he loves them.

chris