craftsman827

BARGE CEMENT

Last time I inquired about purchasing something, it was LEXOL.

The responce was on the $$$$ !

I NEED HELP once again. WHERE TO PURCHASE BARGE CEMENT IN GALLON, BEST PRICE ?

In advance,

THANKS TO ALL !

Craftsman, in your city look for a Shoe Findings Supplier. and there is a possibility that you will have to

show prof that you have a business to buy that product. If it is the New Barge cement , you might not like it.

go for Masters Cement. at Tandys, the new Tanners Bond Craftsman Cement is an excellent product.

if you have to mail order it, the shipping is very high.

To follow on to Luke's comment, Carlos and I got a couple of small cans of Barge at Tandy's, and after using it for a while, we thought it was defective. It was a sort of clear yellowish color, and I didn't think it held worth a :censored2:

We stopped into Tandy in Jacksonville and asked Annette what the deal was with Barge. She didn't know what we were talking about, so we got a new small can off the shelf and opened it. Same thin, almost clear yellow color. Just for giggles we got one of the gallon cans down and looked in there. Now THAT was the Barge we knew and loved. I don't know if OSHA or Greenpeace or somebody made them change the formula or what, but this new stuff isn't worth the powder to blow it straight up!!

Oh, and we bought a couple of gallon cans of the good stuff.

Mike

Edited by Mike Craw

WoodWeld contact cement. You can get it at your local hardware store.

Check the list of ingredients on the Barge. In the latter part of last year they changed the formula. If you have some old ones you will see it still had Toluene in it and some other things. New supplies of Barge do not have near the # of ingredients in them. That is why you are seeing a change. While I was still at Hide Crafter's we had customers complaining that it did not work as well as the older version. Other said it held the same. Guess it depends on your application.

Mike,

The formulas of a lot of these chemicals have changed. On one of the other forums I am on, they have said with the new formulas the solvent tends to separate from the base material. It needs to be stirred each time, and sometimes while being used. Some guys like it better, and some not. Apparently this is not unique to Barge, but most of the other commonly used cements are changing as well. I am still working on a stash of gallons of the old stuff. I got a gallon of something from a local shoe guy that he likes. Another guy by me has tried something else also and seems happy with it. These have been delivered by the supplier reps and no HL fees. What I tried so far has bonded latigo well and dries fast. I haven't tried it on oiled vegtan or tried to reactivate it with heat yet.

I've been using weldwood contact cement for years and years. I can't say I've even tried barge... weldwood works good and dries fast, besides it's cheap. Here we pay 23 bucks a gallon, most hardware shops have it.

Craftsman,

Shipping is a killer for Cement, it's Hazmat and they charge ALOT for that.

Search local for suppliers, stockists and other retailers. I have found it at suppliers of OTHER items like plumbing supplies and such.

Andy

S-T Leather has the best price I've found. www.stleather.com IF you buy quarts they don't charge the $20 flammable fee.

Best place for Barge is Tandy if you have one locally, they only sell (supposedly) to resale accounts.

Consider Master cement from any shoe supply house or have a local shoe repair guy get it for you on his next order.

A lot of shoe supply houses handle the Renia line of cements from Germany, Colle de Cologne is the general purpose cement in the Renia line and works very well, I do miss the "high" I get from Master and Barge though.

Art