From the old grump: Back on the 7th I posted a few pics of a pretty simple sheath. It was one of two that was ordered by a custom knife maker --- both knives being of identical pattern. With the first one almost done, I found that i miscalculated and had to dump it --- a loss of time and a chunk of nice brown sea snake. The new 'first' one included a chunk of 'gator, and came out OK. Now I have finally finished the second, which includes a chunk of skin of a big bird. The pair are different alhough they use basically the same pattern for construction. Here they are --- the 'second one first.. Mike

006-4.jpg

001-13.jpg

007-5.jpg

I really like the yellow and black one with the little corset

I really like the yellow and black one with the little corset

Thanks Sylvia, I appreciate that --- It's actually very dark brown, to match the dark areas of the Sambar Stag scales in the haft. Mike

That first one's a beauty!!! Nice sheathes!

I'd like to see the back of that second, Mike. Top notch work as to be expected!

I'd like to see the back of that second, Mike. Top notch work as to be expected!

Eaglestroker: No sooner done than said --- or something like that. Here it is. Mike

005-5.jpg

i love the ostrich..very cool Mike...i may have to borrow your technique for inlay..ive got some elephant i haven't found a use for yet, and i got a buddy that wants a sheath for one of his custom damascus buck skinner knifes...awesome work!

i love the ostrich..very cool Mike...i may have to borrow your technique for inlay..ive got some elephant i haven't found a use for yet, and i got a buddy that wants a sheath for one of his custom damascus buck skinner knifes...awesome work!

Thanks a bunch. This was the first time I used 'gator --- just had a small piece and had nothing to do with it until a custom knife maker contacted me and asked for something 'different' for two of his blades. With he 'gator I was a bit cautious, with but the ostrich (being on of my favorite 'exotics') i was less so. He was pretty happy with the results. Mike

Edited by katsass

Thanks for the picture Mike. Like the way you wrapped the lining around on the front, seen that a lot on El Paso Saddlery lined rigs. The two tone really sets them both off.

-Robert

Thanks for the picture Mike. Like the way you wrapped the lining around on the front, seen that a lot on El Paso Saddlery lined rigs. The two tone really sets them both off.

-Robert

Robert: Thanks for the comments. That front piece CAN be integral and actually serve as anchor for the belt loop. I didn't do it that way because it's a bit more economical to cut a single,more narrow strip to make the body of the sheath than to widen it out and cut the straps in, or cut a big bulge in a nice shoulder of leather. It may be false economics, but I end up with a straight edge off the shoulder piece, rather than odd shape with a chunk out of it. I also feel this way the belt loop is more secure with the same appearance on the front. I bring the lining over on the front on a lot of my sheaths, and almost always on the back, but, even though almost all of my holsters are lined, I don't do it much on them. Mike

003-1-1.jpg

Edited by katsass

I'm sitting here with a leather needle, awl and a big bird leg. You posted this just in time, well but I guess I found it late. I'm looking at my stitches and your left over veg tanned isn't any wider than mine but you did two rows of stitches, and I have mine situated where there's just room for one. And my stitching looks gigantic next to yours Mike. Your work is just so classy and beautiful. I was going to send you a picture of the inlay tomorrow but I may rethink that :-) Sometimes I can hear you bellowing clear to VT. Seriously, just really beautiful work. Cheryl