Granite slabs for tooling and sharpening

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Greywynd

Greywynd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Misc. tack repairs and new....still finding my specialty
  • Interested in learning about:Whatever!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:looking for machines

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

This was on another forum, but Enco has granite surface plates on sale right now.

Enco has most smaller plates on 1/2 off sale right now. Use code PRSMAR for free shipping to sweeten the deal even more!

http://www.use-enco....?PMK0NO=1009324

These are the plates that are flat and true, great for uses other than just stamping!

#2 Hilly

Hilly

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Interests:Leatherwork, photography, bird dogs, nature, hunting, camping, plinking with a pistol.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:None yet, but wanna try it all.
  • Interested in learning about:All types of leatherwork and the people that hang here.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

This was on another forum, but Enco has granite surface plates on sale right now.

Enco has most smaller plates on 1/2 off sale right now. Use code PRSMAR for free shipping to sweeten the deal even more!

http://www.use-enco....?PMK0NO=1009324

These are the plates that are flat and true, great for uses other than just stamping!

Or you can go to a place that makes custom counter tops, and get granite sink cutouts for free.

#3 Greywynd

Greywynd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Misc. tack repairs and new....still finding my specialty
  • Interested in learning about:Whatever!
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:looking for machines

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Or you can go to a place that makes custom counter tops, and get granite sink cutouts for free.

Fine for tooling, but if you need it to be flat (to sharpen a splitter knife for example) I wouldn't use a chunk of counter top!

Also, not everyone has a counter top place around, so this still may be of interest to some.

(Doesn't matter to me either way, I have 2 or 3 surface plates, and a 4" thick chunk of granite for tooling...also, That is an American supplier, I'm in Canada.)

#4 mulefool

mulefool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:mules, pack equipment, horsehair hitching
  • Leatherwork Specialty:saddlemaking, chaps, accessories
  • Interested in learning about:horsehair hitching

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

I found the thinner pieces of granite like you would get with a cut out didn't hold up to lots of heavy basket stamping. I kept having pieces break off. About 10 years ago I got a granite surface plate about 3" thick. it been great and it wasn't that expensive either, maybe $80.00 or so.
www.horseandmulegear.com

#5 Doug C

Doug C

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Cowboy gear, cases

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

I found the thinner pieces of granite like you would get with a cut out didn't hold up to lots of heavy basket stamping. I kept having pieces break off. About 10 years ago I got a granite surface plate about 3" thick. it been great and it wasn't that expensive either, maybe $80.00 or so.

I agree with Greywynd and mulefool, for a good stamping block it's much better to have something that is 3 to 4 inches thick or more. You may not think you have much bounce with a thin slab until you try one with more beef to it. You will see an improvment in impression depth especially basket stamping.

That's a good deal Greywynd thanks for the information.

Doug

#6 Timbo

Timbo

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Old West gun leather, chaps, saddles and gear
  • Interested in learning about:.....the art of saddle making.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Wow that is a great price for granite plates!! The free shipping is also a great deal sweetener. Everybody on this forum who stamps or tools should get one of these, even if it is just a small one. I've been stamping on one for years and will never go back to thin, easily broken marble slabs.
Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!
Tim

#7 sdkid

sdkid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, anything ranch related, old pickups & tractors, model trains & cars. At the barn, having a cold one with the BIL's.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Whatever I can make for myself or my family.
  • Interested in learning about:All aspects of leatherwork
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google search

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

Are the grade B slabs good, or would I need to get the grade A slab?

#8 gtwister09

gtwister09

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Grade B works fine.

Grade A's are for high precision tolerances/machining. In fact when you step up to high tolerances you would keep the temperature constant in the QC room and even soak your parts in that room prior to them being checked.

Regards,
Ben

#9 TwinOaks

TwinOaks

Ambassador

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts
  • Interests:all of it.
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Yellow Pages :)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

The back side of headstones with typos work nicely too. They're also pretty cheap.
Mike DeLoach

Esse Quam Videri (Be rather than Seem)
"Don't learn the tricks of the trade.....Learn the trade."
"Teach what you know......Learn what you don't."

LEATHER ARTISAN'S DIGITAL GUILD on Facebook.

#10 gtwister09

gtwister09

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

I would strongly suggest that you get a ledged surface plate so that you can move it more easily.

On another note, I have a quick question about the flaking granite. What kind/name of granite was it that flaked off? That is pretty common with marble. Just wondering....

Regards,
Ben

#11 Billy P

Billy P

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Leatherworking, Harley's, bass fishing,
  • Leatherwork Specialty:NONE
  • Interested in learning about:I want to learn how to be a better carver/carftsman, and maybe some braiding.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

I've heard both ways saying that marble is better if you get a thick piece, as it's softer and if a tool punches through less likely to damage the tool. Granite is harder and I do know that it will mess up tools. My daughter used a single hole punch and really destroyed it on granite. After the talking to I gave her she knows better now, but damage was already done. One other thing, I have a piece of marble about 3 and 1/2 in. thick that is app. 24"x28'' that I got for free from the scrap pile of a monument maker. The manager, after I told him what I wanted it for took me out to the pile and told me to get anything that I could load, as they have to pay to have it hauled off. That was the best piece that day, but he also told me to check back. That has been several years ago, and I hopeing to get a new tooling table made and if things work out I going back and try to get a pice with really straight edges and have it recessed into the table top. Anyway a good source might be to check with any local monument makers for their cast offs. Good Luck Billy P
Billy PSideLine Leather Co.Leatherworker.net/Forum

#12 Jimbob

Jimbob

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Interests:leather and more....
  • Leatherwork Specialty:none
  • Interested in learning about:all leather related
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Ya need at least 3-4 inch slab of granite to tool....also you can sand it down so you have smooth surface to sharpen tools !!!
I have a 36X20X4 for free, if anybody wants it....pick up in Gate City, VA 24251!!!

Greetings
first it is only leather, then it will be art...***

www.berkheimarts.com

#13 celticleather

celticleather

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Belts and bags
  • Interested in learning about:All aspects of leatherwork
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Through PSLAC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

I have a 36X20X4 for free, if anybody wants it....pick up in Gate City, VA 24251!!!

Greetings

Just what I'm looking for . . . pity you can't just slip it in a Jiffy bag and drop it in the postbox! :(
When everyone is somebody, then no one's anybody

#14 Bree

Bree

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Guns, Kayaking, Canoeing, Sewing, Leather, Computers, Website/Application Development
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Biker leather
  • Interested in learning about:Gunleather
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

I picked up a very nice 9"x12"x3" 2 ledge granite plate over at Grizzly at their Muncy, PA distribution center while I was on vacation. It cost me $23 and is very portable. Impulse buy.

BTW I would not tool on it without a poundo board or something similar on top.
:red_bandana: :red_bandana: :red_bandana:
Ride Safe!
Bree

2003 Dyna Wide Glide
Memberships:
Iron Butt Association, Niagara Falls HOG, Wild Fire HOG
NRA, Niagara County Sportsman's Association

#15 HideShop

HideShop

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Carving and Stamping
  • Interested in learning about:Anything to make me a better crafter
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Browser

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

Tried to order one but the promo code comes up as invalid. Could there be a typo or another code?

Thanks
Richard