• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Shooting
    Knife Making
    Woodworking
    and now Leatherwork
  • Interested in learning about:Tooling and Carving

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

I tried to make a pattern out of paper for a 6 cartridge belt slide for .357 mag and not having any luck. I tried making one out of scraps just to see how it might be done. I didnít realize it was such a technique to it. Can someone help me out with some instructions or a source for how to do one? Iíve seen some pictures on the forum of some beautiful rigs with holster, belt and a slide that matches. Thanks everyone, this is all still very new to me. Iíve made the holster. Thanks again. Larry

Posted Image

#2 rhona

rhona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:lots..
  • Leatherwork Specialty:clocks, sheaths & knife cases, pen box & pen cases
  • Interested in learning about:marketting, meeting contacts, braiding
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:browsing around

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi Larry,

Iíve made clocks, knife sheaths, everything else almost but never tried a holster! However, I have a friend who makes one of the most professional looking holster ďconceal carryĒjobs Iíve seen! Check out: Rhome of DGL heís on LW. You can check his site: www.desbiensgunleather.com. I hope this helps.

MALIGAYANG PASKO!

Rhona

Baguio City, Philippines

http://rhonacarantes.multiply.com

#3 MBOGO

MBOGO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:DUST BUNNIES, SHINEY THINGS, COWBOY GUNS, CRAZY DOGS, PLASTIC BAGS, KRUSTY THE KLOWN, FREAK POWER MOVEMENT.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:GENERAL
  • Interested in learning about:ALL
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:RUGER FORUM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Larry,

You will need leather for the slide, let's say 8-9 oz, and leather for the loops, under 7 oz. The leather for the loops will have to be cut to width, any ornamantation (?) done to it, dyed (?), edges finished. There are different ways to proceed, if you want the rim of the carterage to ride on a shelf, you will have the loops sewn onto another piece of leather which is sewn to the looped slide, or the rims are stopped by the loop. The loops are sized for the cartdrige and sewn in place, do not groove on the loop side, as the leather is thin, and the strength is a plus. Then fold the piece in half, (welt or no welt) and sew. You would probably be well to give yourself an extra 1.5 inches extra on each end, after cutting to center the loops after them all, then edging. Don't be discouraged if you have one or two practice pieces.

Marc

#4 DCKNIVES

DCKNIVES

RIP, gone, never forgotten.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Knives, Sheaths, Guns
  • Leatherwork Specialty:sheaths and holsters

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

Yep, pretty much what Marc said.I do mine a little different as I slot my top piece and weave the cartridge strap through the slots and attach on the ends. I also put snaps on mine at the bottom.Dave

Posted Image

#5 MBOGO

MBOGO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:DUST BUNNIES, SHINEY THINGS, COWBOY GUNS, CRAZY DOGS, PLASTIC BAGS, KRUSTY THE KLOWN, FREAK POWER MOVEMENT.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:GENERAL
  • Interested in learning about:ALL
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:RUGER FORUM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

The instructions I gave have a downside, the loops can stretch out. The downside to Dave's method is if you pull out for a partial reload, the others can get loose. I did make one belt with a similar method to Dave's, but cut one end long, didn't secure it, and pull it tight when cartredges are removed. That was mentioned by Elmer Keith as one of his favorite patterns.

As for books on construction related to this, pick up a copy of Al Stohlman's Making Leather Cases, Vol I. All three of these books are great for techniques and how to.

Marc

#6 Larry

Larry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
    Knife Making
    Woodworking
    and now Leatherwork

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thanks, Marc and Dave for the help. After a couple of days and a lot of trial and error, I think I finally got it. I went with Marc's method because it worked out a little better for me. But Dave's method is good too. I have a cowboy rig done by Bill Weaver from Oklahoma (Leather, Guns & Etc.) and he used slots for the loops on my rig. He did a great job, as anyone who knows Bill will agree. I actually worked out measurements for the location of the stitching holes and cut my pieces then punched the holes with a 4 pronged diamond hole punch. Put it in my stitching horse and when I pulled the stitches tight the loops came right into position. The cartridges are real snug. I used the welt, folded over and glued. This is my first one and since its still new to me, my stitches are a little sloppy. My name is not centered and there are other things, but I just wanted to get one completed so I would know what to expect. I plan to make a good one and will take more time with it now that I know how it all goes together. Thanks again. Larry

Posted Image

Edited by Larry, 25 December 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#7 Lobo

Lobo

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:holsters, accessories
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:web search

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

All the high points have been well-covered. The only thing that I would add is wet-forming the loops to the cartridges, stretching the leather into final form. Otherwise normal wear will accomplish the stretching and over time the loops will become loose more easily.

Very nice job on the Threepersons' holster!

Edited by Lobo, 26 December 2009 - 09:20 AM.

Lobo Gun Leather
serious equipment for serious business, since 1972

www.lobogunleather.com

#8 okie44

okie44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:holsters & cases
  • Interested in learning about:holsters
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I have not tried to build any belt loops my self, but I remember reading years ago, that a good way to keep the loops from stretching too much over time, is to cut a strip of leather and wet it, then stretch it as far as it will go. Then use it to make the loops. I don't know if this would help or not.

#9 Larry

Larry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
    Knife Making
    Woodworking
    and now Leatherwork

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Okie44 I'll check it out. It's sure worth looking in to.

Lobo, thanks for the tip. Wet forming the loops will also help when I go to stitching them in place. Also, thanks for the compliment on the holster. Coming from you means a lot.

#10 goodfella

goodfella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:selling leather products

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Lobo, thanks for the tip. Wet forming the loops will also help when I go to stitching them in place. Also, thanks for the compliment on the holster. Coming from you means a lot.

here is mine actually quite smiple to make id be glad to talk to you you need further help lee

here is mine actually quite smiple to make id be glad to talk to you you need further help lee

Attached Files

check us out at

www.jrussellleather.com

Email Jack Russell leather

please visit Jack Russell leather on facebook and like us

fullranger2.jpg

#11 George B

George B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, camping and spending time with the family and grandkids.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Gun leather & Western saddles
  • Interested in learning about:gun leather and western saddles
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:internet

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Attached File  cart slide 12 russet snap on.jpg   374.22KB   201 downloadsMost of the ones I get orders for are the snap on type. Normally I stitch the loops on, but I have to make a set for a customer for the S&W 500 mag this weekend. I will use the loop through the back on these, they stick out a little farther but I feel will be more secure for the larger cartridges.
Attached File  cart slide 6 brown snap on.jpg   326.84KB   202 downloads

#12 SooperJake

SooperJake

Leatherworker

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:search engine

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

Do you happen to have a picture of the back of these, Dave?

Jake

Yep, pretty much what Marc said.I do mine a little different as I slot my top piece and weave the cartridge strap through the slots and attach on the ends. I also put snaps on mine at the bottom.Dave

Posted Image

Once you know what the magician knows, it isn't magic anymore. www.corvusleather.com

#13 renegadelizard

renegadelizard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Shooting, Hunting, Fishing, and Dirt bikes..
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Holsters
  • Interested in learning about:Holsters

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Here is another tip...go to springfield leather and order the 5 pack of horsehide belt blanks...this are thin enough for catridge loops, and quite firm...get them really wet for forming so they dont crack...when they dry they are rock hard...

Do you happen to have a picture of the back of these, Dave?

Jake

#14 prc77ro

prc77ro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Leather Carving, Hand Tooling, Knife sheaths, Holsters, Footwear, Inlays, Custom Leatherworks
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Holsters, Spur Leathers
  • Interested in learning about:Hand Carving, Color Dye Techniques, Saddle and Tack
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Searching for Custom Knife Sheath Making/ Using leather Dyes and Finishes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

I am currently working on a gunbelt for a coworker for a pair of Uberti Scholfields and I may have gone a little overboard. the inside and outside belts are of 9-10oz and I ended up using 9-10oz for the cartridge loops. My main question is I only had 4 rounds to work with but I had a piece of 1/2" dowell rod that i cut into 2" sections to insert into each loop untill the leather dried. Now the cartridges drop right into the loops with the rim preventing the cartridge from falling out. Will this be ok in the long run or should I get another 8 cartridges(I'm putting 12 on each side) and reform the loops tighter?
C:\Users\1040271933V\Pictures\Makers Mark.png

#15 camano ridge

camano ridge

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Knife making, custom sheaths and holsters, saddle repair.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:sheaths, holsters, saddle repair
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:google

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

The problem with the 1/2" dowel is that it is .50" and .45 cal is .45". SO yes they would fit loose. Yes the rim will keep the rounds from falling through. However there is the potential for rounds falling out depending on what activity he may be doing when wearing it and especially when he takes the belt off. If you did not stitch them in I would recomend loosening one end tighten all the loops and refasten.