Bree

Edge Experiment - FROG Tape

I wanted to try a new product I ran into in one of my woodworking magazines. It is called FROG Tape. It is a fairly tacky masking tape similar to blue tape. But it has a twist that is significant for working leather. The edges of FROG tape are coated with an expanding absorbant. It is designed to seal the edge against water-based paint running under the tape.

Leather is not a smooth surface. It has hills and valleys when looked at very closeup. So a product that can expand to block any wicking of dye under some masking tape interested me very much. If it works it can assure me of razor sharp perfect edges on a belt with little or no risk of the black dye ruining a natural colored blank.

I ordered some FROG Tape and it arrived today. So I took a piece of strap about 1 1/4" or so and ran a piece of 1" FROG Tape up the middle of the blank taking care to create a nice straight line parallel to the edge. I gave it a quick run thru the burnisher. Then I took some water-based Fiebings Edge Kote and with a foam brush just schlepped it on the blank... both edges. I noted that there was a depression in the leather at one point and the FROG Tape could not make a perfect bond with it. If it was going to fail, this would be the place.

I let it dry for a few hours and then peeled the FROG Tape off and took a good look at the results. Judge for yourselves. The FROG Tape did a fabulous job. I am thrilled with its performance. I am giving away a secret even before it has become a secret! Check it out.

sCIMG3880.jpg sCIMG3883.jpg

sCIMG3885.jpg sCIMG3887.jpg sCIMG3888.jpg

sCIMG3891a.jpg sCIMG3891b.jpg sCIMG3892.jpg

Pretty darn good edge line if you ask me... a lot better than I can put on with either a brush or piece of felt.

:Holysheep::Holysheep::Holysheep:

post-7132-1232588892_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1232588904_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1232588915_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1232588931_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1232588946_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1232588968_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1232588979_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1232588990_thumb.jpg

That's awesome! Where did you order it from?

Edited by tashabear

I think Homedepot now carries this too. Thanks for the Tip it will help loads! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by Greybeard

Great idea, looks good too. Question, did it leave much or any residue on the leather. Like if you were gonna finish the belt after you do the edges would it cause any issues.

Cool stuff Bree. Thanks for the experiment.

I was brainstorming yesterday about patterns and such and this helps.

That appears to have excellent masking properties. Thanks for sharing that info, Bree.

Kate

I saw the Frog Tape on one of them DIY

shows and wondered if it worked as good

as they said. Now I know. Thanks Bree.

WINDY

FROG Tape is expensive... like about double the cost of Blue tape. I got mine at Amazon.com. My thought was to take the 1" tape and split it putting one half on the top of the blank and one half on the bottom You must be careful to make sure that the outer edge of the tape is aligned to the belt edge. If you split the tape, the inner edges of the split tape don't have the expanding stuff... only the outer edges. So be careful.

It is a fairly strong tack tape. Best to remove it fairly soon after applying it. I removed mine easily and it left no residue. But go slow or you might tear it as you remove it.

I plan to have only a small area of the FROG Tape in actual contact with the leather. I will fold the inner area back on itself so I can just lift it off. I won't be freestyling the dye like I did on the experiment. All that I need is 1/4 of an inch to catch any mistakes and give me a nice straight line.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Edit: Max... I will airbrush some water-based sealer on the test strap and see if there are any issues. A perfectly straight line is much easier to screw up than one that isn't!! Any flaw is immediately evident.

Edited by Bree

" I will airbrush some water-based sealer on the test strap and see if there are any issues. A perfectly straight line is much easier to screw up than one that isn't!!"

Bree, I too would be interested in the airbrush blocking abilities of this stuff as well.

Thanks for the tip. And looking forward to you experimentation results.

Allen

" I will airbrush some water-based sealer on the test strap and see if there are any issues. A perfectly straight line is much easier to screw up than one that isn't!!"

Bree, I too would be interested in the airbrush blocking abilities of this stuff as well.

Thanks for the tip. And looking forward to you experimentation results.

Allen

Allen...

I have it hanging down in the shop and the airbrush is hooked up and ready to go. Once I get outta work, I will blow three coats of sealer on it and see what the heck happens. Results later today. CYA! Gotta get back to my non-leather job!!

:coffeecomp::coffeecomp::coffeecomp:

I airbrushed a full airbrush cup of Super Sheen onto the strap both sides and the edges. Here is the result. Sorry for the yellow tint... bad light.

CIMG3893.JPG

Complete seal with zero run after 3 sprays. I tried to put some water on the edge to make it run... no run... no bleeding of color onto my finger. Test successful.

post-7132-1232671510_thumb.jpg

One quick question.

Is the tape applied to the flesh side? Have you tried applying it to both sides?

I know when putting blue tape on the good side it tends to muff it a bit.

I couldnt wait, and went out and bought some Frog Tape.

I got it at Home Depot.

I will be doing some Frog tape tests with the airbrush tomorrow (hopefully)

Bree thanks for the test results and mentioning this product.

Allen

One quick question.

Is the tape applied to the flesh side? Have you tried applying it to both sides?

I know when putting blue tape on the good side it tends to muff it a bit.

No It was not applied to the flesh side. The reason was that I am making double layer belts so the flesh side gets glued. If I was applying it to the flesh side, I would skive the blank to get a nice smooth surface and apply the tape. OR I would size or paste the flesh side so there is a smoother surface for the tape to adhere to. I would not feel real confident if the flesh side were fuzzy but I haven't tried it so I am only offering a speculation.

:eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty:

Edited by Bree

I can't wait to give it a try with some oil dye,, Thanks Bree

I can't wait to give it a try with some oil dye,, Thanks Bree

Best to use a water-soluable dye since methinks that the absorbent on the tape edge is triggered by water not oil. Still it's pretty darn good tape and may well perform just as well with oil. Just not sure since I have only tried it with water-based.

Thanks I did read the water thing, in your post I just want to see if and how far the oil may run under the tape

Thanks I did read the water thing, in your post I just want to see if and how far the oil may run under the tape

OK Report results!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

just tried the frog tape, and it worked... while i may not be 'cheap' is does make me cringe at the reg price of the frog tape... so... when i found it at walmart in their blow-out bin for $2 a roll in it's plastic container... i thought it was a no-brainer, bought a few rolls to try it, and it works on leather (as well as wood trim), as well as masking on a rosewood... it blocked out the lacquer from getting under it with all of the pores in the rosewood.. so... atleast from my experience (so far...) it does work... just wanted to let anyone who wanted to try it, that they can get it on the cheaper side if they look...

eric

I keep a roll of FROG TAPE in my shop all the time!

No shit, I just used a buncha FROG tape when I painted the nursery last month. I think I have a good bit left over, too.

Big thanks Bree, this is awesome...

Interesting read Bree, thanks for sharing your results.

I will remember this the Bree Frog tape method. :)