shtoink

Potenitial Toolbox Design

I suppose that this isn't exactly a tool, rather more of a tool storage solution, but I hope it is well received nonetheless.

I seem to really enjoy the tool aspect of leather more than working with the leather, but we all have our strong suits.

While I was digging around the Internet for whatever reason, I ran across a very

(to me) done by one of my favorite woodworkers, Matthias Wandel. It was specifically about the four bar linkage hinge for his toolbox made by Würth. It started to see if I could find and further information on the topic, because it seemed like a great idea. I also knew that there were plenty of handy people in here who enjoy making their own stuff and a leather tool specific solution was the first thing that popped in my head. Mainly due to the fact that there really isn't any sort of solutions for the leather tools that isn't stupidly expensive or completely custom.

On Matthias's own site, he has a video and a series of images of similar toolboxes made by a couple guys who live in Brazil that were inspired by the Würth toolbox. It doesn't provide any plans, but it seems like if those of you who were interested in making your own might have enough technical expertise that that detail wouldn't be a hindrance. There is a bunch of images that provide clear a clear view of all the internals of both toolboxes and how they function, too.

It also occurred to me that I might not have enough experience with leather tools to know what the layout for the inside might actually need. Maybe one for the bench might need to be bigger than one that you plan to travel to shows or classes with. Maybe some tools will require a specific retention device because each manufacturer has a slightly different take on it. Maybe the larger one could have castors on one side to make it like a rolling suitcase and easier to transport. Maybe there should be more than just two sizes and some kind of modularity.

The big reason for the post is to put the information out there for those who might be interested in making their own that wouldn't have ordinarily have stumbled onto it and to maybe spark some ideas on what should go inside the toolbox. I've also been needing a storage solution for my own tools.

Thank you for the link shtoink, that's a great looking design my woodwork skills are severely lacking to be able to make one myself but I definitely think some here could. Would love to see one made especially for leather work tools.

Clair

Dude, I have been looking for a good solution for traveling with my tools. A custom box with spots for the things I need would be sweet.

So, while winding down in the evenings, I have been working out some of the details for what would be needed to make the exterior of the toolbox. I started with a 14x14x24 box and might work up from there. I still have no idea what to add to the inside, though.

I was thinking of having some various storage options that could be added in as needed to suit the person making it. Some help on those will still be needed.

Here's some of the measurements I have so far. There's actually more progress on the toolbox than this, but I needed to work out exactly where the different parts were going to line up and such. I thought this was pretty interesting.

post-32478-0-12472300-1367368415_thumb.j

I thought that a shot of the virtual progress might be fun. It's clearly not finished, but it's not a bad start. Also, I can generate 2D plans to for those who might want them.

As you can see, I decided to make use of a whole lot of dovetailing, however that can be skipped and whatever joinery you prefer can be used. It'll be a chore, but I may actually have to modify those dovetails later on in lieu of the possibility to have some laser cut parts ordered to assemble at home. That'll be the easier solution for those that don't have the tools are skills needed to make one up from scratch, but still want to have one to assemble.

Hmm... I'll have to think a minute on that one...

post-32478-0-88278900-1367383673_thumb.j