Ferg

Singer 29-4 Vintage 1903 Remodeled

This is a project I have been wishing to do for some time. I believe it came out well, do not believe I would do anything different.

post-15740-0-06140700-1370559993_thumb.j

I took some liberties in rebuilding this beautiful old machine. Cleaned and removed all old paint, repainted with gloss black, have not applied the decals at this time.

The bobbin winder is new. I moved it down to the base of the machine from it's original position so the rubber tire would touch the drive wheel groove properly. A few new screws, new belt, needles, and some other items I will show you.

post-15740-0-12171200-1370560328_thumb.j

A close-up of the bobbin winder.

post-15740-0-17798100-1370560397_thumb.j

The bottom is of 1 3/4" Maple with casters (two of them lock). Foot control is of Cherry, I fabricated the movable parts of the control from aluminum, bronze and steel. Servo is a digital 600 watt from Bob Kovar. I slowed the top speed of the servo to 200 rpm plus attaching the belt to the larger of the two belted pulleys. I can sew i/8" leather, one stitch per at 8 stitches per inch, top speed with this setup is a little faster than I wish to run the machine at this time. Control with the pedal is excellent. I have about 2 1/2" of travel before hitting top speed.

The bolts/machine screws originally used appear to be of 28 tpi, a size of thread count that is pretty much impossible to find locally. Bob has them. Bolts to hold the machine onto the original cast iron table were 3/16" 28's, I drilled them out and replaced with 1/4-20's. I attached the bobbin winder with a 10-24 bolt replacing the 10-28. Odd looking black box to the rear of machine is covering the belt. Pedestal is of 4 x 4 x 1/8" steel with 1/4" steel plates on each end. I will be making a larger than normal drawer to fit under the top table for tools etc.

Thread stand was a must since the machine obviously used small spools of thread on the post. I fabricated a piece of Piano Wire to fit over the original spool post and rise high enough to keep the thread away from moving parts of machine. Top end of wire has an "Eye" for the thread.

One of the most important items I found on the Web was a copy of the original factory printed manual for the 29-4.

post-15740-0-73311300-1370561576_thumb.j

Rear view.

post-15740-0-78304300-1370561733_thumb.j

Closeup of the control pedal.

Most of the parts I couldn't get locally or have in the shop, I bought from Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Plus, He and Bobby keep me up to snuff on what I can and cannot do. Some times I even pay attention. :)

This was a fun project, I don't think I would ever consider selling it.

If anyone has questions I will be glad to attempt to answer them.

Thanks for looking,

ferg

Looks great Ferg!!

Regards, Eric

Lovely! Is that one of my bobbin winders?

I know I have sent a couple to the US

Ferg, That's a real nice looking stand you made.Were you able to get it sewing?

Nice job,

Is it a speed reducer inside that belt cover?

If you need something smaller, some of these might fit or could be altered to fit. http://www.kwokhing.com/accessory/

I belive they are made of plastic , just cut and glue/weld.

I do not think they are expensive

Looking good that stand.

Tor

Thanks Eric, your opinion much appreciated.

Darren, Don't know about the binder, got it from Bob Kovar.

Bob,

Believe it or not it sews perfectly. The bobbin tension screw was tight, loosened it about an eighth of a turn, relieved the top tension. The directions in that old manual are very clear and easy to understand, I had no trouble with winding or loading the bobbin.

Tor,

No speed reducer. The digital servo is infinite adjustment from 3600 rpm down to 200 rpm plus 2" pulley on motor to the 5 1/2" pulley on machine. I haven't tried anything heavier than 8 oz veg tan, had no problem sewing it. The knots are tight and inside the leather. I have a lot of Chrome tanned, will try it soon. Wiz had suggested coating the serrated foot with "Tool Handle Dip" to get rid of the impression in veg tan. I got some the other day but haven't done that as yet.

Some of us never grow up do we? The toys just change, along with my new 2014 Chevy Impala. It replaced a 1992 Oldsmobile with 50,000 miles.

ferg

Nice work Ferg. I'm glad that it sews. How long is the maximum stitch length at 1/8 inch thickness?

Wiz,

I am getting 1/8" stitch length. So 7or8 to the inch isn't bad for 110 years old. :)

ferg