BFaehn

Antique finish

I don't know what I'm doing so any tips would be great. I put a sheen coat o. And applied antique gel but this is the finish I got. Wht am I doing wrong nd can I save the piece is tried it on? All I seem to be doing is making the leather darker where I apply it. 

Did you apply the antique to the entire piece, or just the carved design? And when you say a 'sheen coat", what product did you use? I'm not sure that a lot of 'sheen' products have the proper 'resist' to apply antique over.

1 hour ago, BFaehn said:

. . .  nd can I save the piece is tried it on? . . . 

Try sponge washing it over with alcohol. This will remove some brands of antique and dye

I used suet sheen. Should I be using something different?

I use Fiebing's Pro Resist. I'm not sure that super sheen is resistant enough, but I don't use it at all. If you are getting good 'resistance', you shouldn't get much darkening of your project, but only in the cuts and depressions. It may be that you need to do 2 or 3 coats to get the resistance you need. Also, apply the antique to the whole project, to ensure consistent coloring.

Edited by tsunkasapa

I use Resolene. It really helps.  Put it on, when dry apply your antiquing and wait 10 minutes.  Then, wipe off the antiquing.  This will prevent it from making the entire piece darker.

One method I have used in the past, for a carved piece for eg. flowers,  I use a small brush on  the flowers ( only)  with a super sheen sealer, perhaps a few coats, let dry fully , and then apply the antique  dye on the main body and over the now sealed  flowers  using a swab, but quickly wiping off any excess with a slightly damp cloth. The outside/main body is dyed, but the flowers remain natural . There might be  a little dye on the flowers , but hardly , and thats it.  Its fiddly I know, but it works. 

Another technique I learnt  from somewhere on  this site in the early days:  I used to  put my antiques  directly on dry leather, with varied (  and unsatisfactory) and blotchy   results. Then  I started  to put some oil , like neatsfoot,  or phane oil over the stamped/ carved pattern , let soak in , and then  I apply the antiques and cut back with a damp cloth.  All the antique dye stayed in the stampings/carvings with much better results  . I've been doing that ever since. 

HS