tsunkasapa

A Lifetime in Leather

Ι was going from company to company for many years (auditor and later consultant).  What I noticed is that when you see older people working, these are usually the companies you want to work for.  When people stay they stay for a reason.  When you see workplaces full of young people, these companies are usually the worst.

37 minutes ago, Spyros said:

Ι was going from company to company for many years (auditor and later consultant).  What I noticed is that when you see older people working, these are usually the companies you want to work for.  When people stay they stay for a reason.  When you see workplaces full of young people, these companies are usually the worst.

:16: My wifes great grandfather retired from the railroad at the age of 89 two years ago went to work for them after he retired at 70. the reason young folk didnt work out wasn't becasue of the work enviroment it was because they couldn't pass a piss test or stay clean after they were hired.

Edited by chuck123wapati

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

Saw this in the news this morning. Some feel good news for a change.

Nokona employee celebrates 60-year loyalty to leather (yahoo.com)

very cool story!

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

Saw this in the news this morning. Some feel good news for a change.

Nokona employee celebrates 60-year loyalty to leather (yahoo.com)

wonderful story indeed.

2 hours ago, Spyros said:

I keep hearing of companies who lay off their older workers, or force them to take early retirement, because they cost the company more in wages than the younger workers.

They often wind up hiring them back as 'consultants' because the young 'uns haven't a CLUE what they are doing, and totally screw things up! :rolleyes2: FALSE ECONOMY to get rid of your experienced people!!

Another story - I recently found out my mother's father, who was station agent for the local C.N.R. railway station retired in 1947, before I was born! That was his OFFICIAL retirement date. Before I was old enough to be in school, my mom would take me with her when she went down to Main Street to shop. She would often stop in at the station to talk with her dad. I still remember seeing him with his green transparent eye shade, and his sleeve garters. He died when I was 7,  at age 76. He kept working until about a year before his death He would have lived longer if he hadn't been such a heavy smoker of 'roll your own' cigarettes. :(

Edited by Sheilajeanne
corrected dates