Rannoch

Bag Kote, about ready to throw it out

Hi friends,

I'm about ready to throw my bottle of Bag Kote out because no matter how I apply it, it streaks.  Is there anyway to "fix" the streaking on clean (no carving) veg tan?  I've applied various products on top, including another coat of Bag Kote, but the streaks won't go away.  I tried removing it with deglazer with some good results, but the streaks are still visible.  I've had this problem with Bag Kote for a very long time and just assumed it was user error, but now I'm beginning to think it's dumb to keep using the stuff.  Is there anyone out there who loves it?  Am I the only person who hates it?

Thanks for your advice.

Streaking sounds like its drying too fast. My thoughts are to dilute it and dampen the leather project then apply the Kote

I "sorta" had the same problem early on with Resolene . . . found out if I cut it 50/50 with water . . . it looks a lot better.

But I have to admit . . . I had a bottle of it once . . . could not get it to do what I wanted . . . it's gone.

Got a bottle of tan kote a month or two back . . . gonna play with that a bit . . . but I am a dyed in the wool Resolene and Aussie wax user.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've never used BagKote, but I do find minor streaks with TanKote. (You have to hold it in the light just right to see.) After the second application of TanKote, I let the project sit overnight and then buff it with Aussie Leather Conditioner and this seems to hide any imperfections.

Might not be an option for you but I'd imagine you could spray apply it with an airbrush.  That should prevent streaks, but I'm sure there is a learning curve for spraying too.  Spraying always sounds easy, but nothing is perfect.