I might have the opportunity to buy a 45K21 for $400. I mostly make holsters but I also make gun belts and rifle slings. I’ve looked on Google but I can’t find the info I’m looking for.
What’s the thread size I can use on it from the smallest to the largest? 

What’s the thickest it will sew? 

I just picked up a 111W155 to use on belts, bags and such. I’m excited to put it to work. I wish I could use 207 on it but I can’t  get it to do it and I don’t want to mess anything up on it. 

45Ks are very solid, simple, reliable machines, popular in Britain and its (now former) dominions for over a century. The 21 subclass has a cylinder arm and a plain presser foot with drop-feed and no reverse. Like all drop-feed machines they can have issues climbing up and down large changes in thickness, and will leave dog marks on the back side of your leather. The permanence of these marks will vary depending on your leather and application, but on a belt or a sling I find them to be insignificant. Indeed many vintage pieces will exhibit dog marks on close inspection. Certain later models came with a jump-foot to make feeding easier and some with a slightly clunky reverse feed.

Max thickness for 45Ks is usually around 1/2" or 13mm. Some will do a smidge more. Thread size is probably 18/3 to 18/5 linen, or TKT13/V207 to TKT8/V346 nylon. Max speed 900 SPM.

There is/are Chinese clones of the 45K21 being produced still today, sold as the GA5 or CB2500. (Really it's a clone of the Adler Kl5, which was in turn a  very good copy of the 45K21). This should give you a pretty realistic idea of a 45K21's specs: https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb2500.html

I believe the 45K21 to be well suited to sewing belts and slings, and with a little careful driving should work for your holsters providing they aren't any thicker than 1/2" and you're able to make do without reverse.

Thank you very much i have a 111W155 and a Cowboy Outlaw so I’m getting use to not having reverse. (Can’t miss what you never had) right? 
the one I’m looking at has a rattle can paint job on it and needs some TLC but the owner says it’s in good working order. 

Is $400 a good price for it? 

On 5/31/2022 at 4:39 AM, 02indian said:

depends on condition, if motorized, if with stand or just the head, what accessories are included... some pictures may help.

The 45K21 came ex factory with a roller foot. If it is included it is worth $80-100 alone.

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you, unfortunately I don’t have and pictures at this time 

It does have a clutch motor and table and it’s been painted with a rattle can. 

On 5/31/2022 at 3:34 AM, 02indian said:

Thank you very much i have a 111W155 and a Cowboy Outlaw so I’m getting use to not having reverse. (Can’t miss what you never had) right? 

:lol: Well put! Then you should be used to it, and as you know there are workarounds. 

the one I’m looking at has a rattle can paint job on it and needs some TLC but the owner says it’s in good working order. 

I'm always a bit leery about painted machines, especially if I don't know who did it or how carefully. On the plus side if you want to strip and restore it a 45K21 is an excellent machine to cut your teeth on.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:39 AM, 02indian said:

Depends entirely on your local market, any work you'll have to do on it and what is your budget.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:40 PM, Constabulary said:

The 45K21 came ex factory with a roller foot. If it is included it is worth $80-100 alone.

I think that may be the 45K25 that came with a roller presser. AFAIR the 21 was a plain presser foot.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:56 PM, 02indian said:

It does have a clutch motor

Clutch motors are solid, reliable, and an acquired taste. One that I've never managed to acquire. If you're not used to you may wish to budget for swapping to a digital servo motor, unless you enjoy using both feet and all three hands at once.

I did put a servo on my 111W155 and I like it a lot better then the clutch motor 

Before 

346D0DFA-7B41-4F5C-8B65-D9FD3ECC56BF.jpeg

155 after I redid it

C61E55B1-0434-4F1D-93DF-1EE5ED980EC9.jpeg

12 hours ago, Matt S said:
On 6/1/2022 at 5:40 PM, Constabulary said:

I think that may be the 45K25 that came with a roller presser. AFAIR the 21 was a plain presser foot.

I think you are right - my bad :whistle:

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I think you are right - my bad :whistle:

You wouldn't be the only one of us two to mix up the 21 and the 25 :innocent:

14 hours ago, 02indian said:

155 after I redid it

C61E55B1-0434-4F1D-93DF-1EE5ED980EC9.jpeg

That looks great, very clean and ready for another 50+ years of use!

14 hours ago, 02indian said:

I did put a servo on my 111W155 and I like it a lot better then the clutch motor 

A servo motor is a good shout, and clutch motors are great for workshop projects like burnishers or disc sanders. 

I never thought about turning the old clutch motor into a burnisher. That’s a great idea

Matt S

would you happen to have a manual for the 45K21? I picked it up Sunday 

13 hours ago, 02indian said:

Matt S

would you happen to have a manual for the 45K21? I picked it up Sunday 

Here you go.

45Kmanual.pdf 45K21.pdf

Thank you Bob