MtlBiker

Consew 206 - Reinstalling hook?

I'm stuck (again) with my 206RB-5... there was a noise and a jam up and I couldn't even turn the hand-wheel without the needle hitting the hook assembly.  So I opened that up, cleaned it all and oiled it, and the part I now can't get back in place is #10 on the drawing.   there must be a certain orientation that has to match as you put it back.  Like what position the needle bar should be in, and where the notches align etc.   I tried to find this information on the two maintenance videos, but didn't have much luck.  Must be there somewhere.  Or there must be simple instructions somewhere for putting that back in position correctly.  Can any of you folks help me with this?

image.png

so you do not get #10 into #13, right?

It pretty much is the same on all rotary hooks (vertical and horizontal).

I would hold #10 (bobbin case base or basket) by the small center post push it slightly against #13 and either rotate the hand wheel or the bobbin case basket it self until it falls into the race then rotate a bit more and the bobbin case should be in place again. Can be a bit fiddly...

The needle hook timing should be mentioned in the manual. You can download it here:

https://www.consew.com/Resources/

Edited by Constabulary

Sometimes oiling the ridge of part#10 helps it to slide in easier.Part #10 has a little notch in it that is hold in position by a little finger to keep it from turning,it is at the top.If you have the largest part hook @ the top it should just slide in place.Next time it jams put some oil in the hook (the outer ridge of part #10)& take the belt off,turn the handwheel towards you & then push it backwards as hard as you can,you might have to do this a couple of times but it almost always will unjam it & is easier than taking things apart & taking a risk of loosing screws.IDK if you know but holding the needle thread when you start sewing will prevent this jamming problem.

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

so you do not get #10 into #13, right?

It pretty much is the same on all rotary hooks (vertical and horizontal).

I would hold #10 (bobbin case base or basket) by the small center post push it slightly against #13 and either rotate the hand wheel or the bobbin case basket it self until it falls into the race then rotate a bit more and the bobbin case should be in place again. Can be a bit fiddly...

The needle hook timing should be mentioned in the manual. You can download it here:

https://www.consew.com/Resources/

Thanks for the help!  I guess for me the problem is getting part #10 back into part #13 in the correct orientation.  I'm still fiddling with it (in the evenings when I get home).

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

Sometimes oiling the ridge of part#10 helps it to slide in easier.Part #10 has a little notch in it that is hold in position by a little finger to keep it from turning,it is at the top.If you have the largest part hook @ the top it should just slide in place.Next time it jams put some oil in the hook (the outer ridge of part #10)& take the belt off,turn the handwheel towards you & then push it backwards as hard as you can,you might have to do this a couple of times but it almost always will unjam it & is easier than taking things apart & taking a risk of loosing screws.IDK if you know but holding the needle thread when you start sewing will prevent this jamming problem.

The little finger isn't in the way... I've removed it (after marking the position) and will reinstall it at the end.  When you say largest part of the hook at the top, do you mean the point of the hook, or something else?  Should it be in the position shown in the above parts diagram?  And then part #10, should it also be in the position shown in the diagram?  I can get it back in, but it never seems to be in the right orientation in regards to when the needle comes down.

I wish I'd known your trick about removing the belt, etc. earlier.  This is the second time it's happened to me and like last time, it took me days (I have limited time at home) to get it back correctly.  And now again it's been frustrating the heck out of me.  I'll try your trick the next time it happens (and hopefully it won't).

I do know about holding the thread when I start, and did that.  This problem actually occurred in the middle of stitching a long length of shoulder strap.  Far from the beginning of the stitching.  There was a noise, and then the machine was all jammed up and when I tried to turn the hand wheel the needle would hit part of #13.  I don't know what might have caused this, but it wasn't from lack of holding the needle thread at the start.

I really appreciate your jumping in with advice, Bob.  Thanks very much!

"I can get it back in, but it never seems to be in the right orientation in regards to when the needle comes down. " The finger holds it from spinning & once you put it on & it's in between the grooves of part # 10 it shouldn't spin.Once in a while the finger can get bent so it isn't seated far enough to hold it properly it could spin out while sewing,but it needs to have enough clearance so the thread can pass though it. ,You also should oil the hook,just a drop everytime you change the bobbin or start sewing after it's been setting(just a drop will do)

Edited by CowboyBob