chuck123wapati

stohlmans wild roses

My wife and I dug these wild roses from the mountains and transplanted them years ago.

These are the wild roses AL Stohlman carved in many of his designs It sure is hard to think something so delicate could be copied in leather.

I take a lot  of photos for reference material. 

rose5.JPG

rose6.JPG

rose7.JPG

Roses carved & coloured in leather really are a stand out for me, that and acorns & oak leaves. They're enjoyable to carve & tool  as well as just to look at the finished product. I can thank Al Stohlman for that . 

We have roses all around our house,  Mum & Dads fave flower , and  in different varieties .  I look forward to the day when science...or maybe Mother Nature can produce a true 'blue rose'  . 

HS

Rose Guitar Strap 001.jpg

Those look great i am still trying to figure them out. I always seem to overwork them.

In Canada, we call the 'prairie roses' or wild roses. They are the provincial flower of Alberta. The slogan on Alberta's license plates is "Wild Rose Country'. They have a lovely scent, don't they? :)

47 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

In Canada, we call the 'prairie roses' or wild roses. They are the provincial flower of Alberta. The slogan on Alberta's license plates is "Wild Rose Country'. They have a lovely scent, don't they? :)

Yes they do, my whole yard smells of them, they are in full bloom and there are hundreds it seems. i go out in the early morn to sit and have coffee in the quiet, all i hear are two doves cooing that made a nest in my lilac bush. 

Saw the most interesting thing yesterday. I was at a meeting, and saw there was a bird's nest just outside the window. I could see mama bird's tail, but not enough to know what sort of bird.

So, after the meeting, I went outside to take a look. It was a mourning dove, and she'd built her nest on top of an old robin's nest! No, she didn't re-use the robin's nest, just put a bunch of twigs on top of it!

Mourning dove nests are the most ridiculous looking things. You wonder how the babies don't all fall out and wind up on the ground! They just make a pile of twigs on a branch somewhere, usually in an evergreen tree. This bird was lucky to have a nice solid base for her nest.

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Saw the most interesting thing yesterday. I was at a meeting, and saw there was a bird's nest just outside the window. I could see mama bird's tail, but not enough to know what sort of bird.

So, after the meeting, I went outside to take a look. It was a mourning dove, and she'd built her nest on top of an old robin's nest! No, she didn't re-use the robin's nest, just put a bunch of twigs on top of it!

Mourning dove nests are the most ridiculous looking things. You wonder how the babies don't all fall out and wind up on the ground! They just make a pile of twigs on a branch somewhere, usually in an evergreen tree. This bird was lucky to have a nice solid base for her nest.

We have ring neck Doves they are about four times the size but they too build the little stick nests. They look crazy setting on that little pile of twigs lol. They are so tame we can get within a few feet of them they are right over our lawn chairs.