I want to make a heavy duty briefcase eventually. So I made a purse for my wife as a practice piece. The design comes from Nigel Armitages's Leathercraft book. I liked the idea of making a gussetless bag. The leather is Wicket and Craig English Bridle 6oz leather with a 4oz purple suede lining. The side tabs, newspaper pocket, inside pocket and pencil pocket are all 4oz English bridle leather.

The stitching holes were punched with flat (straight line) pricking irons. Angled holes would have probably looked better, but I do not reverse pricking irons for the backside. On a gussetless design, the holes have to be punched before the front and back are joined. Also, straight holes are a little more forgiving if they do not line up exactly. I used 0.6 tiger thread to sew it. And sewing the curved portions while trying to keep the holes lined up was a bear. 

If I had it to do over again, I would have skived the edges of the suede before stitching. The white center of the suede shows through on the edging. Also, 10oz is pretty thick for a purse. I had to skive, and re-skive, and hammer the turn buckle slot down so I could attach it. 4oz leather with 4oz suede would have worked better. Future project will include gussets. I liked the challenge of making a bag from only two pieces of leather, but I think it would be easier to design and make a bag with gussets.

purse_front-side-700.JPG

purse-inside-500.JPG

That looks great!

I think you did a great job for no gussets.  I have only done one bag with gussets and it was a pain in the butt. I need more practice.