Sign in to follow this  
LuisPaulo

want an even finish with my dyes

Hi,

I never can achieve an even finish with my dyes. Here, there is only one good option of dye, an alchool based dye called Enigma.

I tried various ways, using a sponge, a pice of wool, diping the piece...

Th best result I can get is diluting the dye in alchool (1:1 or even more...) and apliyng various light layers with a soft paintbrush, but I'm not satisfied.

Any suggestions are very welcome, its drives me crazy. :ranting2:

HELLO LUIS... CHECK THE TANDY STORES FOR THE "PREVAIL SPRAYER"

IT HAS HELPED ME OUT A LOT.

THEN IF YOU LIKE THAT CONCEPT, GO THE ROUTE OF AN AIR BRUSH &

COMPRESSOR.

Hummm...

I think I'll use my double action airbrush just in my model airplanes...

I'll try !!!!

Thank you very much !!

I assume you're doing veg tan. Try on scrap first: spray it very lightly with water or wipe lightly with damp sponge then spray the dye cut 1:1 with alcohol in your air brush. Using water first helps to open the pores. I usually apply Lexol after dye but try Justwakingup suggestion before dye and see if that helps. Either or both should work. If you're doing black dye, try the above, but apply another color dye first, red, green, blue, tan, doesn't really matter, and then apply the black and it'll probably take 2 coats of black, dry and buff between the coats of dye and spray lightly with water before apply each coat. Good luck and let us know what happens.

lexol before dying? what kind of lexol? i will try that. I use to moisten the leather before, but i notice that it make a green "patina" over when it dry, why??! I shake my bottles before...Last time i did not moisten the leather at all and it gave me a nice result.

When i finish to dye, i use a cotton to remove that green and then i apply neetfoot oil, then a waxy cream (on both sides). It age well.

The sprayer can really make a good job? Is that handy? What kind of alcohol do you use for reducing? I buy the fiebing reducer but if i can buy cheap alcool for same result...

Edited by pella

I use a small automotive touch up spray gun to dye my seats..... the spray guns are very inexpensive and work fine on my small Campbell Hausfeld compressor. I bought the gun at Lowes.

If you are using an alcohol dye, why do you need to reduce it? The main reason to add reducer is to make it thin enough to spray....most alcohol dye is as thin as water, so it shouldn't need reducing.

The green "blush" that you are getting is the alcohol reacting with the water or the tanning chemicals. No water water, no blush.

David Theobald

Using an airbrush or sprayer is definitely the best method if you want the colors even.

For those of you who still prefer hand brushing, it helps to apply the color diluted first, then make subsequent passes with stronger dilutions of dye until you have the intensity you want.

Kate