AndyRC

New boy - advice on clothing leather

Hello from the U.K.  

My wife likes leather skirts but often they only come in black/brown/tan , or the fit is not right for her, and she would like something in a brighter colour so wants to have a go at making her own. I said I do some research for her so Looking  for advice on what sort of leather to use, any tips , just wanting to learn from folk who know how to do this.  She has sewing skills and a machine which is capable of sewing leather. I’ve found a few leather suppliers in the U.K. and Italy but really need to know what sort to buy. Any advice most welcome. 

Thnaks 

Andy 

Edited by AndyRC

6 hours ago, AndyRC said:

I said I do some research for her so Looking  for advice on what sort of leather to use, any tips , just wanting to learn from folk who know how to do this.  She has sewing skills and a machine which is capable of sewing leather. I’ve found a few leather suppliers in the U.K. and Italy but really need to know what sort to buy. Any advice most welcome. 

Welcome to the forum from SW Missouri, USA. You have come to the right place.  There are folks here that make clothing, including leather jackets and a wealth of information on sewing machines and techniques.  I have never made clothing, but the type of leather you will need is a thin chrome-tan leather.  I would say 1-2 ounce in thickness.  Hopefully someone will chime in and give you more information.  Good luck.

Also do searches for leather supplies and applicable info using the term "garment leather".  Many years ago I made a long coat using glove leather.  It is thin, stretchy somewhat, so drapes nicely.  Had a lot of help from my Mom.  Getting the sleeve shoulder seam was the hardest part to do.  Tandy has a few garment patterns.

15 hours ago, Northmount said:

Also do searches for leather supplies and applicable info using the term "garment leather".  Many years ago I made a long coat using glove leather.  It is thin, stretchy somewhat, so drapes nicely.  Had a lot of help from my Mom.  Getting the sleeve shoulder seam was the hardest part to do.  Tandy has a few garment patterns.

Hi. Thanks for the tip on leather. My wife is going to take some old cloth skirts apart which she likes to make her own patterns so she can make one in leather. 

7 hours ago, AndyRC said:

Hi. Thanks for the tip on leather. My wife is going to take some old cloth skirts apart which she likes to make her own patterns so she can make one in leather. 

We used a pattern for a pyjama top (large) and made it longer when making the coat.  So yes, lots of options to get or make patterns up.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:31 AM, AndyRC said:

Hello from the U.K.  

My wife likes leather skirts but often they only come in black/brown/tan , or the fit is not right for her, and she would like something in a brighter colour so wants to have a go at making her own. I said I do some research for her so Looking  for advice on what sort of leather to use, any tips , just wanting to learn from folk who know how to do this.  She has sewing skills and a machine which is capable of sewing leather. I’ve found a few leather suppliers in the U.K. and Italy but really need to know what sort to buy. Any advice most welcome. 

Just use ordinary paper patterns. Even the seam allowances are alright for leather seams

My first choice for leather would be from Le Prevo :

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm

Scroll down for the clothing leather. And the staff at Le Prevo will help with advice too

41 minutes ago, fredk said:

Just use ordinary paper patterns. Even the seam allowances are alright for leather seams

My first choice for leather would be from Le Prevo :

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm

Scroll down for the clothing leather. And the staff at Le Prevo will help with advice too

Hi 

Thanks for that link , very useful, will check them out 

Depending if you are near London, check out JT Batchelor for leather supplies, they don’t list on a website but if you can get there In person  it is a true Aladdin’s cave of leather, you will find pretty much everything colour option going and at reasonable prices 

I tend to go there via train select every thing I want & they will ship it home for me at a bargain cost of £13.50!  As I always seem to buy more than I can carry ;)