ArkieNewbie

Glasses Cases

So I came up with a design for glasses cases that I really like. I'm happier with my execution on the blue one than the brown one. I put a small patch of leather on the inside to cover up the back of the magnet snap and my stitching around it got a little wonky. I should have punched my holes BEFORE I put the snap on. And I also should have made that patch smaller so the stitching didn't go down so far below the snap. Let me know what y'all think!

Blue Glasses Case 1.jpg

Blue Glasses Case 2.jpg

Blue Glasses Case 3.jpg

Brown Glasses Case 1.jpg

Brown Glasses Case 2.jpg

Brown Glasses Case 3.jpg

Brown Glasses Case 4.jpg

Not all that bad. I am wondering why the side stitching was not brought further down to the bottom?

Definitely functional.  That is the main purpose for sure.  Another consideration would be to line the interior to avoid have a patch.

hello,
your stitching is certainly acceptable.
What I would do is bring more consistency to the whole thing.

some examples
Photo 2 if you rounded the corners on the inside I would also do this on the flap, like the brown pouch
Photo 3 the same here the bottom of the rectangle are rounded, but the top is not, however here I would opt for a round patch. This way this stitching will also look nice around your magnet. The same for the inside of the magnet, a round patch would look quieter than the rectangle in my opinion

Also the thinning of the leather where the bend is looks a bit rough, maybe you can try to even this out by going over it with some rough sandpaper.

These are my remarks, about taste, shape and color you can keep arguing ;-)
Practice makes perfect

13 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Not all that bad. I am wondering why the side stitching was not brought further down to the bottom?

Really just a design choice, and I had the thought it would let it expand for for different size glasses. 

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

Definitely functional.  That is the main purpose for sure.  Another consideration would be to line the interior to avoid have a patch.

Good idea Bob! I also liked @bvdv's idea about a round patch. 

32 minutes ago, bvdv said:

hello,
your stitching is certainly acceptable.
What I would do is bring more consistency to the whole thing.

some examples
Photo 2 if you rounded the corners on the inside I would also do this on the flap, like the brown pouch
Photo 3 the same here the bottom of the rectangle are rounded, but the top is not, however here I would opt for a round patch. This way this stitching will also look nice around your magnet. The same for the inside of the magnet, a round patch would look quieter than the rectangle in my opinion

Also the thinning of the leather where the bend is looks a bit rough, maybe you can try to even this out by going over it with some rough sandpaper.

These are my remarks, about taste, shape and color you can keep arguing ;-)
Practice makes perfect

Thank you for that feedback! I do see what you're saying and I agree. Honestly the rounded edges on the blue one were an after thought after the rectangle patch had been sewn on and I didn't want to risk cutting and my stitches popping out. 

I definitely agree with you about the thinning. The only tool I have for it is a French edger. Not ideal but it gets the job done, but I do agree it could definitely be cleaned up. I definitely appreciate your comments!

6 minutes ago, ArkieNewbie said:

Thank you for that feedback! I do see what you're saying and I agree. Honestly the rounded edges on the blue one were an after thought after the rectangle patch had been sewn on and I didn't want to risk cutting and my stitches popping out. 

I definitely agree with you about the thinning. The only tool I have for it is a French edger. Not ideal but it gets the job done, but I do agree it could definitely be cleaned up. I definitely appreciate your comments!

try to thin an area on a piece of scrap with the french edger, then sand this area with rough sandpaper(80-200 grid). i think you will get more or less the same leather structure as the non "french edger" area.

1 hour ago, bvdv said:

try to thin an area on a piece of scrap with the french edger, then sand this area with rough sandpaper(80-200 grid). i think you will get more or less the same leather structure as the non "french edger" area.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that. As I do more and more projects it becomes more clear that the little fine details are the hardest things to remember to do and to learn how to do well.