Bakyardknives

Barry king swivel blades

So I have quiet a few Barry king swivel knife blades and the reason for this is I can never seem to get them sharp. I can sharpen Tandy blades with zero issues but the Barry kings always give me a hard time. So I figured I’d buy the Tandy jig for blade sharpening. Guess I should have done more research because they don’t fit into the jig. So 1st question is there a jig that works for the Barry king blades 2nd of not any tips or tricks? I’m also looking at buying a leather wrangler sk will I have the same issue? 

1 hour ago, Bakyardknives said:

So I have quiet a few Barry king swivel knife blades and the reason for this is I can never seem to get them sharp. I can sharpen Tandy blades with zero issues but the Barry kings always give me a hard time. So I figured I’d buy the Tandy jig for blade sharpening. Guess I should have done more research because they don’t fit into the jig. So 1st question is there a jig that works for the Barry king blades 2nd of not any tips or tricks? I’m also looking at buying a leather wrangler sk will I have the same issue? 

go back to what works for you! Your just buying names now and spending more money for no real benifit.

I agree with Chuck. I had a BK blade and found it to be no better than any of my others.

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

I agree with Chuck. I had a BK blade and found it to be no better than any of my others.

My experience was very different. I had a couple cheaper swivel knives and I could never get them sharp. I ended up buying a BK knife and it has been wonderful. I never had to sharpen it yet. Just stropped it out of the box and before each use. 

I also have a Craftool Pro that works pretty good also. 

Here's my take, they all will sharpen up and use them enough - they all get dull. I used to not think so but time has told me you cannot do the best job resharpening unless you use a jig. 

As far as jigs. I am pretty the Leather Wranglers blades will still fit the Tandy jig. Barry Makes blades that will fit the Tandy knives and jigs, and I know a few people have drilled out the Tandy jig to fit Barry's standard blades. Chuck Smith is back to selling the Big Red swivel knife jig. There are a few jig styles that hold the handle -  Probably one of the more common is the Red Ox Brand jigs that Gordon Andrus makes.  Nice media like a ceramic or diamond stone in a few fine grits or wet/dry paper and you are on your way.