I picked up a 29k62 yesterday and I will be having questions as I start to go over this machine. So far. Everything seems to be working. Without thread in the machine the foot and needle seem to be in time and moving the leather

I opened the bobbin door and much to my dismay the bobbin was absent, here is what I found

image.jpg

hard to tell from the pic but looks like a pre wound bobbin.

New metal bobbins have parts number 8604 and are cheap and available almost everywhere

Pre wound?   Wow,  I have only seen the metal bobbins,   

here is another concern In the parts diagram it shows a thread tensioner where this threaded hole is. (Middle picture)

The machine was threaded when I received it but the  thread was run through2 plates just above the threaded hole

are The horizontal tension plates adequate? And the missing plates not needed? 

image.thumb.jpg.242625057111b77ba1a77297a73292a2.jpg

The one that is missing is not really necessary for normal sewing. I use mine when winding bobbins but for nothing else. IIRC manual says the lower tension unit is for sewing with waxed thread or darning (darning requires an extra device) but IMO it makes no difference. Anyway I would install one just to have the machine complete f.i. in case of selling it. A missing part is a missing part...

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

are The horizontal tension plates adequate? And the missing plates not needed? 

Like Constabulary I use the tension mounted on the side as a guide for threading my bobbins. I have not seen any video's on using a 29K for darning but all the manuals I have seen have instructions of how to thread the needle for darning using the side mounted tensioner. Anyone have a video, love to see how that works.

This is a manual for the 29k-71 but if you refer to pages 9 and 10 you will see the top threading path.

This is how I set up my 29k for the top and bobbin threads.

kgg

4sing.jpg.30ae18cf0ce00a5d9b7feca414b5d619.jpg

6sing.jpg.2befb93c066a581886214f565fb0f4ea.jpg

29k71-2.pdf

The use for darning may come from an Adler 30 manual but that basically is the very same. I do not have a darning device but IIRC WIZ has a daring device on is 29K patcher.

Edited by Constabulary

Thank Guys,  Please bear with me as. I stumble along this learning curve

I threaded the machine and tried to pick up the bobbin thread. Sigh,   

it looks to me the timing is off just a scooch.  Or a. BCH

I think you need to take the bobbin thread and have it exit by the thumb size recess on the front side and slide the cover close. Then hold the end of the top thread and move the needle down holding the end of the top thread. With my machine I cheat and just thread the bobbin thread up through the hole in cover then slide the cover over. A caution is that make sure you use the correct hole in the cover as there is a different size needle hole on each end. Also a standard class 15 domestic sewing machine bobbins are really available and cheap.

kgg

Ok guys all good info

this is where I am

hoping this is the correct needle

DP x 17

110/18 B

inserted needle. Dropped the foot and lowered the needle, felt under the arm with my finger let the needle tap my finger tightened screw

cycled machine. It did not pick up the bobbin thread

slide bobbin cover over and slowly cycled machine  the hook grabbed the top thread

slide cover back on, hook does not catch top thread

slide cover off,  hook catches top thread 

now I am scratching my head

Make sure the needle is firmly seated all the way up in the clamp and that the rib is on the due left and scarf on the due right.

Ensure that you have threaded the top correctly. The route is as follows:

1. Feed up from the spool to a loop overhead, then to the top of the machine. I usually feed the thread through the center cutout in the top rack.
  2. Under the lube pot clamp then out thru the lube pot hole.
  3. Around the post on the right side of the top tension disks and into the right side of the disks.
  4. Out of the disks and through the eyelet on the top front side of the head.
  5. Up to the take-up lever. Make sure the spring on top of the take-up lever is functional and exerts force to pull the lever up, but lets the lever go down as the rack moves up on the take-up stroke.
  6. Out of the take-up lever and down the needle bar hole, using a patcher threading rod or thin wire that has a V cut, or split on the bottom to hold the thread.
  7. Through the paddle spring above the needle clamp and down to the needle.
  8. Thread the needle left to right.
  9. Test to make sure there is tension on the thread with the foot lift lever down.
  10. Ensure that the paddle spring exerts some friction on the thread in the snout. If the paddle spring is bent, weak, or broken, the loop will dissolve before pick-off time and it will skip stitches.

If the hook timing is off, adjust it via the eccentric screw accessed through a hole in the right side of the base of the machine. There is a rod coming down that joins a rod feeding under the arm. You'll have to wrangle a wrench under the base to loosen the nut on the back of the adjustment screw to turn it. Turn either way to get the best timing that picks off the loop as the needle moves down, then jogs up, then moves down again. Once the timing is right, tighten down the locking nut.

8 hours ago, Frodo said:

inserted needle.

Looking at your video again and it maybe the angle of the lighting but it appears that you have the groove of the needle on the Right side and the scarf on the Left. If so the needle is insert backwards.

kgg

You are correct

after reading Wizcrafts post I went over everything 

the needle picked up the thread and I managed to sew. Then the bobbin ran out. I have put in an order for bobbins, 

15 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Then the bobbin ran out. I have put in an order for bobbins, 

That's good news the machine is working. If you have a sewing / fabric shop in your area the bobbins are the same as you would use in a domestic sewing machine.

kgg

Really?  Ok I have a few of those around here…..somewhere

old singer 66 did not fit 

old Brother did not fit

do I dare snag the wife’s ?

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

do I dare snag the wife’s

Why not give one a try. If they work great. Not sure if you get caught you don't windup in the dog house.

kgg

Wife’s simplicity did not work 

all to large to fit in shuttle

49 minutes ago, Frodo said:

all to large to fit in shuttle

A good place to get bobbins / needles with fast delivery is Wawak.com

Leather needles: 135 x 16 (DPx16), www.wawak.com/sewing/needles/industrial-machine/schmetz-leather-industrial-machine-needles-135x16-tri-dpx16-d-10pack/#sku=smnl135118

Bobbins: metal Class 15, www.wawak.com/sewing/sewing-machine-accessories/bobbins-cases/singer-class-15-metal-bobbins-1pack/#sku=bob8

Thread size vs needle size reference chart: www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

kgg

4 hours ago, kgg said:

If you have a sewing / fabric shop in your area the bobbins are the same as you would use in a domestic sewing machine.

@kgg - his machine is a shoe patcher! He can only use small patcher bobbins, #8604. Those have to be ordered from industrial sewing machine dealers. Here is one source.

48 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

@kgg - his machine is a shoe patcher! He can only use small patcher bobbins, #8604. Those have to be ordered from industrial sewing machine dealers. Here is one source.

I reached out to Patcher last night with a pm.  I will wit to see if he responds before going forward

55 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

his machine is a shoe patcher!

I stand corrected , sorry.

kgg