broanl

Brianl

Howdy all. A friend who is new to leather work made a sword sheath for me. Structurally he did a fair job, bu after dying it there are specs on the leather that didn't seem to take the dye. It was a beige leather to begin with, he dyed it a light brown. It left about 5 small white areas on the sheath, is there a way to fix this? Appreciate you all, thanks. '

image.jpeg

Edited by Northmount
uploaded resized photo

Was it a pre-finished leather? Did he wipe it over or wash it down with anything to break through that pre-applied top finish?

Linky no worky

Even a new raw leather benefits from a wipe down with a dye-prep or other cleaner before further dyeing. Was this done?

Edited by fredk

Fred, try the link again please. I opened access, it was restricted before...my bad. 

As far as what if any pretreatment was done, I dont have the answer. 

4 hours ago, broanl said:

Fred it was new leather far as I know. When he first cut and sewed it he showed me, it was a very light beige color, didnt look died. I attached a link, hopefully it works. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pNwm6g3J_ji6e6H2m5wxU6sfJtHER8jc/view?usp=drivesdk

@broanl

Please upload your photos directly to this site.  Your photo file was too large and needed to be resized to fit the restrictions.  3rd party hosted files often go missing due to changes made by the host, or permissions changed, or OP has moved or deleted the file.  That makes the thread useless to those that want to follow or learn from your experience in the future.  Many users here will  not download random 3rd party items due to possible risks, so you lose their help that they might have provided.

There is some info and helps at this link about resizing files and posting.  Plus lots more info on the web.

Looks a bit like glue drops on the wrong side.

or resist drops.

you might try to lightly sand those spots then match the dye as closely as possible then sheen  . might still be noticeable but maybe not as bad as the white spots

Edited by Bert03241

11 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

try to lightly sand those spots

@broanl I wouldn't sand even with the finest paper.  The original surface of the leather leather won't match the sanded spots.  They will stand out, take dyes and finishes differently, usually darker. 

You could try with a Sharpy felt tip pen to darken just the spots.

Another possible is to use a cotton q-tip with deglazer or acetone to remove the finish and the glue or contaminant, carefully re-dye just the cleaned spot and apply the finish.  You may be able to blend the dye and finish into the surrounding area as you apply it.

6 minutes ago, Northmount said:

@broanl I wouldn't sand even with the finest paper.  The original surface of the leather leather won't match the sanded spots.  They will stand out, take dyes and finishes differently, usually darker. 

You could try with a Sharpy felt tip pen to darken just the spots.

:17:  :16:

I have a few paint pens which I use to colour in small spots that don't take dye. Used carefully they can match the rest of the colour and are undetectable

15 hours ago, Northmount said:

@broanl

Please upload your photos directly to this site.  Your photo file was too large and needed to be resized to fit the restrictions.  3rd party hosted files often go missing due to changes made by the host, or permissions changed, or OP has moved or deleted the file.  That makes the thread useless to those that want to follow or learn from your experience in the future.  Many users here will  not download random 3rd party items due to possible risks, so you lose their help that they might have provided.

There is some info and helps at this link about resizing files and posting.  Plus lots more info on the web.

Northmount, thank you for posting the photo for me. I appreciate Fred and the rest of everyones suggestions. The wife just bought a new set of fabric pens that must have 25 colors. Might give them a try to at least darken the spots. 

Thanks all

Broan