Constabulary

Decorative Stitching on Leather with Domestic Sewing Machine?

Yeah, I´m really not into any kind of domestic sewing machines (not at all) but just recently I came across this post coincidentally...

https://naehfabrik.forumprofi.de/t11737f114-Anker-RZ-Automatic.html

and worded if this kind of decorative sewing machine stitching (done here with an ANKER RZ) would not be interesting for thin leather projects like watch straps or so.

Maybe someone is doing this already but I haven´t seen this yet.

I´m just curious ;)

Edited by Constabulary

I'm thinking it could be done, but you'd want to use pattern seams/settings that won't put a lot of stitches close together. Stitches close together becomes a perforation it can tear along.

Constabulary,

Sorry I don't understand the language used on the website you have posted. I'm not wanting to click any of the boxes (cookies) because I wouldn't know what I was clicking on or agreeing to.

However, I do know about embroidery on domestic machines and on industrial machines, have done it both ways. The domestic machines (older/antique) sometimes have built in embroidery stitches and sometimes the embroidery stitches formed by use of a cam or disc inserted into the machine. The embroidered stitch or design on these machines is usually a small repeat pattern or design. Could be a simple zig zag stitch, might be a tulip or something slightly fancier sewn in a repeating fashion without any jumps, stops or trims.

This sounds like what you might be referring to, as you mention using this type of decorative stitching for watch straps. Yes! That could be done for sure! I agree with Gunnarson who mentioned you would want to be careful not to land stitches too close together to avoid perforation of the leather. Good point and true! The only way to know for sure is to test, I always ask a Customer for a scrap of the leather I'm going to embroider on so I can test it before doing the actual piece. Backings are important, so is the method of mounting the leather piece into the hoop prior to embroidering. You want to be sure you are not stretching the piece out, so as not to distort or stretch the leather while embroidering. In the experimental stage, I test which backings that work best, if any. Sometimes I use no backing at all. Sometimes a tear-away backing, sometimes a cut away backing. 

I hope that helps you some. There are much fancier designs that can be done, but my answer involves just simple patterns and/or designs, as it sounds like that is what you are asking about. I have multi-needle Industrial embroidery machines that can run for hours with many thread color changes built into the designs. I can do full jacket backs, and also smaller designs that have lots of details. That's all good for Customers who want to pay more for the fancy stuff, but I still use a domestic machine every now and then for certain jobs where all they want is a simple repeat pattern. The machines I like for that type of work are my old Kenmore machines (45 years old) with Cams and dial in stitch patterns, and also an older Bernina machine (model 1008). In fact, I love the simplicityand functionality of these machines.

Oops, I forgot to mention, sometimes a hoop is not needed at all to mount the leather work prior to embroidering or stitching your pattern/design. Sometimes you can just simply run a design without too much prep work and you get a great result. Again, test with different backings first on a scrap to know for sure what will work. Try different needles and threads too. you may find that a regular round tip needle works just fine, or you may want to try a diamond shape/tipped needle. One of the other things I'd found in experimenting with small stitch patterns is that you can sometimes sew with the bobbin thread in the top of the machine and a much fancier/thicker thread in the bobbin area. Suprisingly, this is sometimes the best way to sew a very thick and/or ornamental embroidery thread. You obviously won't get too much of it into the bobbin area, but you may be able to make it work if you are sewing designs on smaller things like watch bands. Good luck!!!