Redbeeerd

Leather from clothes and such?

Heya!

There is always a crapload of used leather and suede jackets, pants, skirts etc on places like eBay. Would it be a bad idea to buy such items to use the leather?

Example: right now I am looking for suede to use as a liner for a small bag. I'm a beginner and the bag is just practice so it probably won't be very good. On a Swedish auction site I can buy a suede jacket for 10 bucks including shipping. What would be good reasons not to buy?

25 minutes ago, Redbeeerd said:

Heya!

There is always a crapload of used leather and suede jackets, pants, skirts etc on places like eBay. Would it be a bad idea to buy such items to use the leather?

Example: right now I am looking for suede to use as a liner for a small bag. I'm a beginner and the bag is just practice so it probably won't be very good. On a Swedish auction site I can buy a suede jacket for 10 bucks including shipping. What would be good reasons not to buy?

The only good reason i can think of not to buy it is that you need the money for something more important like eating. Or that your wife will get pissed  maybe lol.

I'm always searching the thrift stores. Leather reuses really well IMO, plus its good stuff to practice on make patterns etc. Also to deconstruct to see how things are made is always a good idea too.

25 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I'm always searching the thrift stores. Leather reuses really well IMO, plus its good stuff to practice on make patterns etc. Also to deconstruct to see how things are made is always a good idea too.

Oh, I didn't even think that far, thanks!

On 1/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, Redbeeerd said:

Heya!

Hi! 

Thats an interesting idea actually. Repurposing used clothing to create leather goods. 

We actually recieve tons of positive feedback on our Nappa Lambskin to use as a liner for shoes and sneakers. Could definitely be used as a soft & supple liner for your handbag projects.

As long as the picture shows that they're in pretty good condition to be used for your project, I think you should go and purchase it.