GrampaJoel

Sticky backing on card stock patterns?

Hey everyone.
I’ve been watching you tube videos of wallet making on these rainy rainy days.

Often times I see card stock patterns being used, that appear to have some type of sticky backing.
It doesn’t appear to mark or leave a residue on the leather.

And usually I have noticed it in the videos from Korea, or Japan.

does anyone here know what they may be using.
It looks like a good way to hold your pattern to the leather without weights or using your hand.

thanks 

Joel

I'm quite certain they use Sookwang score tape (It's made in Korea) I use it with good results on finished leather and semi-aniline veg tan. It does adhere really well to paper, but doesn't stick like crazy to these kinds of leathers, and doesn't leave any residue or impact the finish. I often use some kind of regular one sided tape, either for a glue line, or for the end of where I need to rough the grain and assemble something. And like regular scotch tape will dull the finish on a lot of finished leather (Like Alran goat, see my photo where I had used that transparent scotch tape to hold the pieces together while gluing it to the backing leather, since it was two pieces of leather, sure I could polish it and it got away) This sookwang tape doesn't have that problem, I usually make it a little bit weaker in strength before I use it (Put it on a piece of leather and pull it away a couple of times)

From the photos of my templates I put back the protection tape, but I plan to buy some sheets of silicone release paper, so I can stick my templates to that when I'm finished with my project, to protect the tape.

I can try on aniline veg tan if that's what you use?

It's really thin, and easy to remove the release paper.

Another good solution to avoid templates sliding around (if you use card paper templates) is to coat the back side with water based contact cement and let it fully dry, it leaves a rubbery surface.

IMG_4750.thumb.JPG.e2dc5643cf13cf1525baa244c1831016.JPG

IMG_4748.thumb.JPG.bd451f04cf6ff85cc72a496e4ed5e27e.JPG

An example how regular transparent scotch tape dull the finish (You have to open it full size and look the middle and you see how it's "dull" in the middle.

IMG_3966.thumb.JPG.2f703654e5d42708af9a11c5d4003c40.JPG

On 1/15/2023 at 11:24 PM, Danne said:

I'm quite certain they use Sookwang score tape (It's made in Korea) I use it with good results on finished leather and semi-aniline veg tan. It does adhere really well to paper, but doesn't stick like crazy to these kinds of leathers, and doesn't leave any residue or impact the finish. I often use some kind of regular one sided tape, either for a glue line, or for the end of where I need to rough the grain and assemble something. And like regular scotch tape will dull the finish on a lot of finished leather (Like Alran goat, see my photo where I had used that transparent scotch tape to hold the pieces together while gluing it to the backing leather, since it was two pieces of leather, sure I could polish it and it got away) This sookwang tape doesn't have that problem, I usually make it a little bit weaker in strength before I use it (Put it on a piece of leather and pull it away a couple of times)

From the photos of my templates I put back the protection tape, but I plan to buy some sheets of silicone release paper, so I can stick my templates to that when I'm finished with my project, to protect the tape.

Another good solution to avoid templates sliding around (if you use card paper templates) is to coat the back side with water based contact cement and let it fully dry, it leaves a rubbery surface.

An example how regular transparent scotch tape dull the finish (You have to open it full size and look the middle and you see how it's "dull" in the middle.

Duhhhhh,

Double sided tape!   Of course.

I often use it instead of glue where I plan to sew.

thank you Danne !!

Joel

On 1/15/2023 at 11:24 PM, Danne said:

That strap has such a finely defined line. 
I am amazed that there is no bleed over in that textured surface from the coloring.

you do very nice work.

14 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

Duhhhhh,

Double sided tape!   Of course.

I often use it instead of glue where I plan to sew.

thank you Danne !!

Joel

Yes, I have tried a couple of brands, this is the one I like the most. 

9 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

That strap has such a finely defined line. 
I am amazed that there is no bleed over in that textured surface from the coloring.

you do very nice work.

It's not colored, it's two pieces of leather, orange and dark brown. Tricky to hand cut though.

Thank you 

Edited by Danne