enin5479

Power Supply for JUKI DDL-555-4?

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me out with what I thought would have been a simple internet search...

I am looking to purchase a used Juki DDL-555-4 industrial sewing machine.  When I asked if it was operational, they said it was missing the plug. When they sent the picture, it had 4 wires.  Do these sewing machines need a 4 wire plug like a dryer would have?  If so what kind of plug do I get?

Thank you for any help

Is it single phase, or three phase?

I've noticed a few sales ads here (UK) where they omit to mention that the motor is 3phase, which isn't common domestically over here.

16 hours ago, enin5479 said:

When I asked if it was operational, they said it was missing the plug.

Which country are you in? If in North America a 4 wire could be a 220 volt single phase. When you see plugs missing it probably a good indicator that it was used in an industrial setting and directly wire into a circuit or the motor is shot. If the machine is in good operating condition plan on replacing the existing motor with a servo motor.

A photo would also help.

kgg

Thank you for responding.  Yes, I am in North America. Here are some pics.  I just am not sure what kind of plug to even put on there or what type of outlet to have installed. Thanks again.

machinejuki.jpg

wires.jpg

I'd get the part number off the box the wiring goes to and look up the part number. There should be a label on the machine that indicates the voltage too.     I usually assume 3 hots and a ground is 3 phase. 

I have the DDL-5550 and installed a $150 servo motor.  I'm not seeing a needle positioning system so, this servo might be overkill for this relatively basic machine. 

The 5550's are made for light to medium duty clothing.   I wouldn't use one for leather or upholstery.  They have a standard feed dog feeding system.  Most have relatively short max stitch lengths too. 

23 minutes ago, enin5479 said:

It looks to be nearly identical to the JUKI DDL 8700...but it looks decent. 

The main question is what are you planning on sewing and with what size of thread? The machines you have asked about are made for sewing fabric. The VEVOR appear to be a reseller of a wide range of Chinese stuff and have just put their Name on a clone machine. Support and parts maybe iffy.

kgg

The main question is what are you planning on sewing and with what size of thread?

This is what I was hinting at too.   My DDL-5550 is a great sewing machine. It'll even do relatively thick layers of cloth but I can tell the tension system is sort of at the limit.  It works fine for making bags, repairing and making dog beds and even some light webbing work but, you can feel it groaning a bit at the thicker end.