exopaws

Gang Punch?

I've had my eye on the "Gang Punch" sold by Strap Warehouse even though it's out of my budget right now, but I'm still surprised that I haven't been able to find anything else like it. Is there a different name for this machine that I'm missing? Or does Strap Warehouse make the only one? Seems like an interesting alternative for a rotary punch, but I'm wondering how well they actually work. Video of it in motion here and here

Edited by exopaws

Weaver sells something similar, and Tandy has done but I think they were discontinued. Sometimes called a tipping press (cos it punches the holes and cuts the tip).

Alternatively you can have a clicker die/press knife made to your specs. Brian (@RockyAussie ) has a great thread that shows how he uses these professionally, including a couple of ways he builds a locating jig. If you just want the holes punched buy a handful of punch tubes and drill and tap them into a piece of strap iron or heavy box section.

2 grand and custom made tooling means a lot of straps to make it pay plus your at their mercy for cost of "custom tooling". but if you got the dime it looks pretty cool. does it require custom tooling plates for every thing you plan on punching? I mean what if you want 3/4" between holes instead of 1"  is that a whole other custom tool?

1 hour ago, exopaws said:

I've had my eye on the "Gang Punch" sold by Strap Warehouse even though it's out of my budget right now,

Another one is the Craftplus Tipping Machine at $1000 ( https://www.ivan.tw/products/craftplus-tipping-machine )

kgg

25 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

2 grand and custom made tooling means a lot of straps to make it pay plus your at their mercy for cost of "custom tooling". but if you got the dime it looks pretty cool. does it require custom tooling plates for every thing you plan on punching? I mean what if you want 3/4" between holes instead of 1"  is that a whole other custom tool?

Yeah the custom tooling thing was kind of... concerning lol, it's a little vague. Seeing how it functions I can't imagine it would be hard to fasten it to hold bits from any manufacturer? The price of the machine would be more than worth it at that point if you could just throw any ol tips into it, so I can only imagine they made it that way on purpose.

Tipping press seems to be the name I was looking for, thank you guys! Really cool concept honestly, that $1000 craftplus looks a lot more doable.

A sharp round knife makes quick work of strap points, and one size fits all widths.  See the bit in this video about cutting an egg point (English point).  Steadying the knife against the edge of a clicker/poly board and drawing the leather across the blade makes it relatively easy to make symmetrical curves with a bit of practice. I'd spend the money on a power burnisher with a sanding drum to touch up the shapes.  If I do use a strap end punch then I sand the transition to the straight edge to get the shape right.

On 2/12/2023 at 1:23 AM, Matt S said:

Weaver sells something similar, and Tandy has done but I think they were discontinued. Sometimes called a tipping press (cos it punches the holes and cuts the tip).

Alternatively you can have a clicker die/press knife made to your specs. Brian (@RockyAussie ) has a great thread that shows how he uses these professionally, including a couple of ways he builds a locating jig. If you just want the holes punched buy a handful of punch tubes and drill and tap them into a piece of strap iron or heavy box section.

Had me looking for a bit but I think this is the one you mention Matt

On 2/13/2023 at 11:21 PM, RockyAussie said:

Had me looking for a bit but I think this is the one you mention Matt

That's the badger!