Sign in to follow this  
GerryAttrick

New member from New Zealand

I am just getting interested in trying some leather work. It started when I wanted to replace a buckle on a much loved leather belt (riveted). This led to me now wanting to sort another buckle but this time on a stitched belt...and so down the rabbit hole I went!!  I am already thinking of making a couple of other belts similar to ones I already have but which are showing their age. I suspect one may have been made from Chrome Tanned leather as it has stretched a bit...I totally deny that my waistline has contributed to the stretching as the belt fits perfectly:rolleyes2:

My interest at this stage is belts, wallets (billfolds)

I have a couple of the Stohlman books already and the Val Mitchell one is in the mail. In the meantime I have been reading all the great info about various tools that I  "cant live without" and watching YouTube videos. Unfortunately I subscribe to the school of buying good(expensive) rather than adequate( usually cheap) so I am progressing very slowly. I have almost finished making a stitching pony...just have to locate some scrap leather to cover it with. I was told that old leather handbags at the local Opportunity shops are worth looking at.

My biggest issue is obtaining leather and it seems that other than one supplier I may have to consider importing so that will probably mean a check with NZ Biosecurity to see if that is likely to be a problem. I will also be contacting some of our tanneries to see if they can supply some. The other problem is freight. I did look at getting some tools from USA but the freight cost on a US$15 tool was over $US60.

Yesterday a lady I work with part-time told me her (now deceased) father was a professional leather-worker and she has some of his stamps and her brother hase all of his old tools which are lying unused. I have asked for first refusal if they come up for sale:whistle:

I know there are other Kiwis on here and wonder if they would like to chime in with advice. Sources of supply they use especially welcome.

Alan

Welcome! There are many sources for leather for what you want to make. One person in my area males wallets out of old baseball gloves. They look great and he sells quite a few of them. I hope you can find what you need. Good luck!

Thanks @Hags I will keep that idea in mind.

Welcome to the forum from SW Missouri, USA.  Sounds like you have a great start by getting the Stohlman books.  Good luck with finding a source for leather and tools.  Hopefully, it will work out with your co-worker to obtain some of them.

Welcome to the forum!  I hope some locals are able to help you with information.  I suggest you get a relationship going with what supplier or suppliers there are down there.  When there's something you need that they don't inventory, ask if they'd source it and sell it as a non-stock product.  Who knows, maybe your interest will stimulate them to expand their offerings?  We sometimes assume suppliers are on top of everything, but many are not.  They keep doing what they've been doing and may not be aware of current trends.  A good example might be the high quality tools that keep cropping up.

Anyway, good luck.  And by the way, my wife and I watch a few television shows which are based in New Zealand and we would love to be able to visit someday.  It looks amazing.

Thanks for your replies guys. I have not heard anything from local leatherworkers yet but NZ has a nationwide State of Emergency as we have been hit by one of our biggest storms ever. Its pretty understandable that they have other things of more importance ATM.

Our town is totally cutoff from the rest of the North Island and Auckland,our biggest city,  has massive floods and slips with one volunteer fireman lost when a slip hit the house he and a colleague were in. The other fireman was rescued but is in hospital in a critical condition. 

@Tugadude - you sure would not want to be here currently. One of our main roads in to town (Whangamata) has totally gone in one part and is still slipping. Some engineers have suggested it may take between one and two years for it to be reinstated. There is only one other route out of town and that is currently blocked by several slips. We lost about one metre of seafront last night.

image0(1).jpeg

Wow!  How unfortunate.  My prayers for you and others affected by the devastation.   Yes, more important things are going on.  

Edited by Tugadude