bushpilotmexico

Vevor servo motor

Recently bought a Vevor servo motor on Amazon to replace the clutch motor on my Pfaff 138  sewing machine. Straight forward installation but I guess my Cobra 4 had me spoiled. By that I mean after Googling on speed control seems like Dave at the Leather Factory modifies the servo before sale with a simple addition to the optical speed control this allows me to walk through (sew) an item a stitch at a time or speed up for a straight run.

Not knowing that my Cobra was modified and assuming this was normal for a servo I was surprised to find out that the Vevor, even set for 100 stitches per minute wouldn't allow me to slow it down on start and sew one stitch at a time. I found a video on YouTube showing the modification that can be done to fool the optical sensor with a small piece of paper.

Question is, and I haven't been able to contact Vevor, is their speed control optical or magnetic? I know someone will say that I should just open the control and look inside but I'm always leery to open something and have parts spring out all over. If it's magnetic then my only option would be a speed reducer attached to the servo. I have been watching the DIY'ers using pillow bearings and various size pullies but I don't have a shop for welding, fabricating etc.

If the Vevor isn't optical and I can't use the "fool the sensor with paper trick" would anyone know where I can buy the two pully reducer and bearings ready to mount? I can't make a mount from steel but could make one out of wood to attach to the table.

Whilst I can't say categorically that it doesn't use an optical sensor I'd be very surprised if it did. None of the servos (different brands) I've bought over the last few years have used an optical sensor. You do know that you can buy speed reducers ready-to-use? Either the all-in-one big pulley/little pulley or box-type. If you want to make your own then you'll have to buy separate components and put them together.

did you set the parameters to: start up speed 100 rpm, and then whatever your max speed that you are comfortable with?   you can also set the power at each speed as well.   Along the supplied small pulley you should be able to get the stitch speed pretty low.  

If the motor uses a magnetic system, consider a pre-made pulley and bearing reducer kit. These are available online from various sewing machine parts suppliers or even general hardware stores. Look for kits compatible with the motor shaft size and desired reduction ratio. While you cannot fabricate a steel mount, a wooden one might be feasible. However, ensure it's sturdy enough to handle the motor's vibrations and weight without affecting sewing performance.

It looks like the Vevor is a brushless servo motor, and probably on the lower end of the price range.  That being said, it probably has a start up speed in the 500 rpm range, too fast to use it stitch by stitch.  As long as you don't have a needle positioner attached, you can slow it down by installing a 45 mm pulley on it.  You could also buy or build a speed reducer.  I made one out of angle iron, pillow block bearings, a shaft and pulleys - yes they can be made out of many materials, it all depends on your abilities.  I bought a Consew 550 servo motor with brushes, installed a 45mm pulley and it's wonderful, its start up speed is around 150.  You will need to learn where the start up speed comes in with your pedal, it's still easy to get two stitches instead of one but again, muscle memory will come with more use.  You might want to look here where I got mine: https://www.tolindsewmach.com/motors.html talk to Bob.