kgg

Threading Juki TSC- 441, Cowboy, Cobra, Techsew

I find it interesting that similar machines to the Juki TSC-441 heavy duty sewing machines there are variations of how the top thread path to the needle varies. I wonder what are the pro's and cons are???

1. Juki TSC-441:

i) I couldn't find good photo's for the Juki TSC-441so the info is from the Juki instruction manual. The top thread goes through the top tension eyelet and through the tension disc's then down to the lower tensioner disc and then the thread wraps around 1 1/2 times the disc of the lower tensioner and exits the lower tensioner eyelet before going to the check spring.  There is a) no wrapping around the top tensioner and doesn't exit the eyelet before going onto the lower tensioner. b) doesn't go through the lower tensioner eyelet before being wrapped 1 1/2 times.

2. Cowboy: photo 1 and 3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCppWRvkyfAi)

i)The top thread goes through the top tension eyelet and through the tension disc's then down to the eyelet of the lower tensioner and then the thread wraps around 1 1/2 times the disc of the lower tensioner and exits the lower tensioner eyelet before going to the check spring.  There is no wrapping around the top tensioner and doesn't exit the eyelet before going onto the lower tensioner guide.

3. Cobra: photo 2 and 3 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPadkFEEJ4i) The top thread goes through the top tension eyelet and wraps around the tension disc's then and exits through the top tension eyelet before going to the lower tensioner eyelet and then wraps around 1 1/2 times (their are a couple of video's showing the thread wrap 2 1/2 times ) before going back through the lower tensioner eyelet before going through the check spring.

4. Techsew: photo 3 and 4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stGYaZ7GjPgi) The top thread goes through the top tension eyelet and through the tension disc's then down to the lower tensioner disc and then the thread wraps around 1 1/2 times the disc of the lower tensioner and exits the lower tensioner eyelet before going to the check spring.  There is a) no wrapping around the top tensioner and doesn't exit the eyelet before going onto the lower tensioner. b) doesn't go through the lower tensioner eyelet before being wrapped 1 1/2 times.

kgg

Cowboy 4500.JPG

Cobra class 4.JPG

Techsew top tensioner.JPG

Techsew Lower Tensioner. JPG.JPG

Edited by kgg
missing references

I looked for the destructions for mine and could only find the really blurry  ones they emailed me. So I think I must have got some for mine when I got it cause there is no way I could've threaded from the emailed ones. I go through the guide pin(1 hole) and then to eyelet, around tension disc clockwise then back out the eyelet down to the next eyelet, around twice then back out the eyelet to the take up spring. Right or wrong it's how I threaded mine from day 1.

I think exiting thru the first eyelet and then going thru the second eyelet before wrapping around the second tensioner just adds unwanted tension. I looked up every 441 clone I could find and Cobra is the only one who threads their machine this way. 

I went back and threaded my machine like Cobra does, and the thread is rubbing on the tension release arm/lever after exiting the first tension eyelet. I wouldn't think that would be correct. It obviously doesn't make any difference to the Cobra people. The original Juki machines aren't threaded this way. 

Anybody figure out why our edit button disappeared? Anybody that lost their edit button running Windows 11?

IMG_3753.JPG

Tim, I don't double up through the top thread guide. I set it as low as it will go behind the disks and feed through it, up and inside the top disks, then down through the eyelet over the bottom roller, around ccw 2 turns, then up through the same eyelet and on to the check spring. If that makes the top tension hard to adjust, I don't go through the roller eyelet on the way to the check spring. This would be when I dumb down my machine to sew with thin thread and thin needles into thin material.

7 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

This would be when I dumb down my machine to sew with thin thread and thin needles into thin material.

Your article, Dumbing down a Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4, or similar harness stitcherhttps://www.rw-leatherworks.com/blog/2019/02/dumbing-down-a-cowboy-cb4500-cobra-class-4-or-similar-harness-stitcher.html ) , is a really good. If possible any chance of a couple of photo's?

kgg

7 hours ago, kgg said:

Your article, Dumbing down a Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4, or similar harness stitcherhttps://www.rw-leatherworks.com/blog/2019/02/dumbing-down-a-cowboy-cb4500-cobra-class-4-or-similar-harness-stitcher.html ) , is a really good. If possible any chance of a couple of photo's?

kgg

Right now (March 9, 2023), my Cowboy, 4 other sewing machines and a Fortuna skiver are 20 miles away, stored in my business partner's workshop in Montrose, Michigan. We have been out of business since December 31, when the building hosting us closed on short notice. Hopefully, we can find a new host soon!

I will take photos, and maybe videos, once we get setup in a new building.

15 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Right now (March 9, 2023), my Cowboy, 4 other sewing machines and a Fortuna skiver are 20 miles away, stored in my business partner's workshop in Montrose, Michigan. We have been out of business since December 31, when the building hosting us closed on short notice. Hopefully, we can find a new host soon!

That is a terrible situation. Hopefully you find a spot soon.

kgg