Sign in to follow this  
ArkieNewbie

Seeking Suggestions

A while back I bought 3 CXL horse butt strips from Maverick. One brown, one light brown, and one black embossed with the dimples for a football.

I have never worked with horse hide before. Does it behave differently than other leather? These "strips" are about 6-8" wide and 40" long, 5/6oz, and has about the same temper as other CXL I've worked with, maybe a little firmed. 

Any insight into horse hide and what my first project should be out of it is MUCH appreciated!

image.png.8ab2b0d03d34772a0bb9d79a04251386.pngimage.png.26da4e53bf8bc6348ab6a88d834cce28.png 

I've used very little horse hide, but I have used it.  I thought it was fine for what I used it for, which was briefcase straps.  Of course the most famous horse leather is cordovan, the fibrous flat connective tissue (shell) beneath the hide on the rump of a horse.  That's not what you have here, but it still looks like a nice quality leather.  

Some say horse leather is more weather resistant compared to bovine.  Don't know if it is true or not.  There is a difference in the grain between horse and cow and perhaps that results in being more resistant.

Being 5/6 oz., it is too thick for some things I would make and it is too narrow to be used for others.  It would make a good material for bible/notebook covers so long as the bible or notebook isn't wider than what you've got.  I think it is too thick for wallets, except maybe for the outer piece.  I generally stay around 4 oz. for wallet backs and 1.5 to 2 oz. for the innards but I know some like to go thicker.  

The leather with the smooth texture would make great belts, or straps as I mentioned.  If it isn't long enough for a particular belt maybe you can do a Ranger Belt style and make it work out.  

Hopefully others will have some more ideas for you!  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

I've used very little horse hide, but I have used it.  I thought it was fine for what I used it for, which was briefcase straps.  Of course the most famous horse leather is cordovan, the fibrous flat connective tissue (shell) beneath the hide on the rump of a horse.  That's not what you have here, but it still looks like a nice quality leather.  

Some say horse leather is more weather resistant compared to bovine.  Don't know if it is true or not.  There is a difference in the grain between horse and cow and perhaps that results in being more resistant.

Being 5/6 oz., it is too thick for some things I would make and it is too narrow to be used for others.  It would make a good material for bible/notebook covers so long as the bible or notebook isn't wider than what you've got.  I think it is too thick for wallets, except maybe for the outer piece.  I generally stay around 4 oz. for wallet backs and 1.5 to 2 oz. for the innards but I know some like to go thicker.  

The leather with the smooth texture would make great belts, or straps as I mentioned.  If it isn't long enough for a particular belt maybe you can do a Ranger Belt style and make it work out.  

Hopefully others will have some more ideas for you!  Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions! A Ranger belt is a good idea. I have been wanting to make one. I might give that a go. 

I'm also working on a briefcase for myself right now. Straps would be a good option. 

I've made a few notebook covers here lately but haven't done a Bible cover yet that might be a good option too. 

I've also toyed with the idea of rebinding my paperback copy of Valley of Vision in leather but 5/6oz might be too heavy for that. 

Although horse hide is denser/strongmer than cow hide, 5/6 oz might be a bit lightweight for straps/belts.  If you use 2 layers you could make a raised leather belt.  There's more information on these leathers at the Horween Leather Co website.  My understanding is the Chromexcel tannage is pull-up leather.  Is the football dimpled leather CXL tanned cow hide?

You can either double up the leather or use another leather for the lining.  I agree that 5/6 is a bit thin for a sturdy belt.

Horse butt, I'm told, is about the best for holsters.  Your strip size limits the size of the holsters you could make, though.  That weight would be good for lined holsters.

How does horse leather tool?  Would it tool the same as cow leather?

16 hours ago, TomE said:

Although horse hide is denser/strongmer than cow hide, 5/6 oz might be a bit lightweight for straps/belts.  If you use 2 layers you could make a raised leather belt.  There's more information on these leathers at the Horween Leather Co website.  My understanding is the Chromexcel tannage is pull-up leather.  Is the football dimpled leather CXL tanned cow hide?

No sir. The football dimpled is horse hide as well. Would it be against "leather laws" to back a CXL strap with a veg tan strap?

1 hour ago, ArkieNewbie said:

No sir. The football dimpled is horse hide as well. Would it be against "leather laws" to back a CXL strap with a veg tan strap?

I wouldn't think so, but I would test how the CXL leather burnishes and blends with a backer strap.  If the edge doesn't look right, you could use the horse hide as inlay for a veg tan belt.  

1 hour ago, TomE said:

I wouldn't think so, but I would test how the CXL leather burnishes and blends with a backer strap.  If the edge doesn't look right, you could use the horse hide as inlay for a veg tan belt.  

Ooo, thats a good idea. Especially the football dimpled. That would be cool!