This is for a checkbook cover for a gift. The dye is Fiebring's Pro Dye Dark Brown again. I had just a little left in the bottle, so I ordered a second one. Also ordered wool daubers, since I  was certain the foam stain brush I used on the belt contributed to waste since it wasn't high density. I had already applied a light coat of neatsfoot oil to the cover, in hopes it would darken it and I wouldn't have to dye it, but to my surprise, it only slightly darkened the leather. I've applied it to work books over the years, and it always made them noticeably darker.

This evening, I poured some of the dye from the first bottle in a small disposable plastic cup, and used a dauber, using a circular motion to apply the dye. This time I had little waste. Still have some dye in the first bottle, and didn't have to open the second. The cover is now drying in the back of my truck, but the project is small enough I can move it inside after a few hours. Can either lay it flat or suspend it by a hook I made from electric fence wire, slipped into a pocket.

Used rubbing alcohol to rinse out the dauber. Will save it for use with this specific dye.

Overall, I'm pleased with the lack of waste. Will see if I need to do a second application. Hopefully, not.

Hi Gosut,

Just a thought about the neatsfoot not darkening your project, I think it depends on the type of leather you are using. I always use imported veg tan and never had any success darkening my projects with oil, so I stick with just dyeing. But I've heard that imported veg won't darken with oil and you have to use hermann oak or something similar to get it to darken with just oil.

I've always had really good results with the fiebings pro dye, never needed a second coat so I hope it works as well for you

Please post pics of your project when it's done!

~Frau~

It's imported leather. I'm a beginner and don't rate something like Herman Oak yet. I'm using a lighter weight of leather for the inside pockets, and it took dye differently that the cover itself. Ended up with some horizontal streaks on the cover despite using circular motion to apply the dye, so maybe it wasn't as circular as I thought. Wasn't terrible, but noticeable. Second application was to address this and bring the interior pockets to the same shade. Got rid of the streaks and brought the pocket material to a much closer shade to the cover.

Have applied neatsfoot oil again. Even though I applied a light coat before the dye, the leather felt harder afterward. Only applied another light coat. Will buff and apply Resolene (tm) next. Got good results on the belt with diluting it to 50/50 and applying three coats over as many days.

Will post photos in "Critique My Work" when it's done.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:25 AM, Fraulein said:

Hi Gosut,

Just a thought about the neatsfoot not darkening your project, I think it depends on the type of leather you are using. I always use imported veg tan and never had any success darkening my projects with oil, so I stick with just dyeing. But I've heard that imported veg won't darken with oil and you have to use hermann oak or something similar to get it to darken with just oil.

~Frau~

Tandy's imported veg tan will darken with NFO.

I use it on almost every project in lieu of dye if I'm trying to achieve a lighter brown color.

I use multiple light coats until the desired color is achieved. 

I made a notebook cover but didn't want to dye it so gave it a coat of NFO and left in the sun for a couple of days. It darkened slightly to what I think is a lovely looking "natural" patina.

I purposely left a 5”x 3” chunk of leather outside on a table exposed to the elements. It is now a deep range tan color, no dyes or oils were applied,  and the best seasons are the warmest to place the leather in the direct sunlight