DartmouthDuffer

Picking leather for a workshop apron

Hello everyone! I'm about to make a leather apron for a family member as a gift. The most intense work they do is woodworking. My main ask for people here is what leather should I use.

Chrome vs Veg vs pull up

3/4 or 4/5 oz?

Soft or medium temper?

Any advice helps! Thanks in advance!

Edited by DartmouthDuffer

I might make an apron at some point and I am curious as well. For such a large piece, isn't chrome tan less expensive? I think a pull-up leather would look awesome.

I had to make an alteration to a leather  apron that a friend of mine got as a gift, it was custom made , apparently. My friend is quite tall as well ( he too is a woodworker) The leather apron  was chrome tanned dark brown. The issue he had was  that the strap that goes around the neck was too heavy on his neck . The apron itself was heavy , a bit too heavy for my liking. But anyway, I ended up making the straps in cross  ' X' arrangement so that the weight of the apron was on his shoulders.I  also altered the strap that goes around his waist so some of the weight sat on his hips.A lot of messing around, but it worked. 

So when making a leather apron, just keep the weight in mind. 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I once made a sort of apron for a chap. He wanted it like a tabard with a full length back. I used upholstery grade chrome tan which was a mid-brown colour. The leather was about 1.2mm thick. I had a very large piece of leather and just cut a head hole just off centre, only for to try it out for size and shape. The chap thought that was going to be it and liked it! so I added straps and buckles just about waist level and that was it. No pockets, no trimming. That was what he wanted. *   He was a farrier and used it in his work, he wanted the back piece to protect his bare back from the open fire, both heat and sparks

*other workers will maybe want pockets for tools

I made my first apron with vegetable tanned leather. I found this to be too stiff and uncomfortable. Every time I bent or sat down, the leather did not want to do the same. I thought it would break in in time, but it never did.

I made a second apron with the same pattern, but this time I used a soft 6/7 oz chrome tanned leather for the body. This one is comfortable, bends with me, and I wear it exclusively over the vegetable tanned.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, GatoGordo said:

I made my first apron with vegetable tanned leather. I found this to be too stiff and uncomfortable. Every time I bent or sat down, the leather did not want to do the same. I thought it would break in in time, but it never did.

I made a second apron with the same pattern, but this time I used a soft 6/7 oz chrome tanned leather for the body. This one is comfortable, bends with me, and I wear it exclusively over the vegetable tanned.

thanks for the post! you don't find 6/7 too heavy? What do you use it for primarily?

3 hours ago, DartmouthDuffer said:

thanks for the post! you don't find 6/7 too heavy? What do you use it for primarily?

The completed apron is only about 2.5 lbs so not heavy at all. I use it primarily when dying, but I wanted something thick enough that it would provide some protection when doing something a bit more intense.

2 hours ago, GatoGordo said:

The completed apron is only about 2.5 lbs so not heavy at all. I use it primarily when dying, but I wanted something thick enough that it would provide some protection when doing something a bit more intense.

Any chance you could link the leather you used here? Really appreciate the input!

8 hours ago, DartmouthDuffer said:

Any chance you could link the leather you used here? Really appreciate the input!

I purchased the leather from Maverick Leather, but they no longer sell what I purchased. It was a Golden Rod Dearborn which is described as Glovey/Soft. They currently have four different colors of Dearborn with black the thickest at 6oz. I would consider the other three to be too thin, but you might like it if you think the thicker leather might be too heavy.

9 hours ago, GatoGordo said:

I purchased the leather from Maverick Leather, but they no longer sell what I purchased. It was a Golden Rod Dearborn which is described as Glovey/Soft. They currently have four different colors of Dearborn with black the thickest at 6oz. I would consider the other three to be too thin, but you might like it if you think the thicker leather might be too heavy.

Incredible, thank you so much!