sayluv

Alder 30-70 Timing Issue?

Hi-

We have this beautiful Alder patcher and I believe the timing is off--the bobbin thread won't catch the needle thread. I was able to find the manual and a video on how to thread it but other than that I am out of luck. We are in the Seattle area and have not been able to find someone to repair it. Does anyone know how I would go about correcting the timing issue on this. I am pretty handy but just dont have any experience with this and years have gone by trying to find someone to fix it.

Thx!

Adler.jpeg

Maybe the racks & pinions in the gear box are worn or maybe the hook tip is worn. Are you sure you are using the right needle system 332 LONG (not 332)? Make sure the long grove of the needle is facing left.

You haven't given us much to work with. For instance, what needle system is installed in the machine? Is the rib side facing due left and the scarf due right? Unless you are sewing very thick stuff, you can back off on the slack adjuster by raising the pointer higher up in its frame, reducing the slack. Yours is set to add a lot of extra thread when sewing through about 5/16 inch of leather.

Next, the correct needle system for this machine is 332LLG, for round point, and 332LLLG for leather point. Mine measure about 2 1/8 inches, from stem to stern.

As for changing the timing, first confirm if yours is set close to nominal timing. With the shuttle hook unit in place, remove the thread from the needle, open the needle plate sideways, then rotate the rear mounted hand wheel counterclockwise (towards you from the top) until the needle reaches bottom dead center. Slowly continue rotating the wheel until the needle rises and halts its motion. At this time, the tip of the hook should be close to and behind the needle, above the eye. As you rotate a little more, the hook should intersect the needle above the eye, then the needle should start back down as the hook continues to turn counterclockwise. It is a down-up-down jog during pickoff time.

If the timing of the hook is too far advanced or retarded, the hook needs to be re-timed. Instructions will follow later.

adler_30_-10-50-70.pdf Adler_30_Instruction_Manual.pdf

I googled industrial sewing machine repair shops in Seattle and half a dozen businesses showed up.

30-10 or 30-70?  which?  you must first check the needle bar to make sure it is at the correct height.  30-1 different than 30-70!  One determined that needle bar is times, you then remove shuttle from the shuttle carrier to time the hook.  There is an eccentric on the lower drive rack that you move to time shuttle carrier.   I might be able to walk you thru it over the phone.

glenn