NEWAY

Pfaff 335 binding conversion

2 hours ago, NEWAY said:

I was offered a Pfaff 355 with binding, does it require some conversion for sewing heavy leather?

My understanding is that the Pfaff 335 can only handle V69 thread as it can only accommodate a #16 (100) needle and is best suited for thinner items.

What are you planning on sewing?

kgg

2 hours ago, kgg said:

My understanding is that the Pfaff 335 can only handle V69 thread as it can only accommodate a #16 (100) needle and is best suited for thinner items.

kgg

Thanks for the info, I intend to use it to sew bags, may use vegetable tanned leather up to 8 Oz (1/8 inch), I was considering a Pfaff 145, but thought that a free arm may be more versatile.

The Pfaff 335 was made in a few sub-versions, ending with the letter H and a number. H4 is the heaviest duty version that can actually handle a #24 needle and 207 thread. But, you might need to drill out the hole in the inside foot, throat plate and feed dog.

Depending on the H version, you might be able to use #92 thread and a #19 needle in it. But, if it lacks the standard four motion feed dog drive, and you have to purchase Pfaff parts to get it to feed on the bottom, you'll be spending almost as much as you would on a good used Consew 227 type walking foot cylinder arm machine.

I wouldn't recommend investing in that machine if it is one of the light duty versions made strictly for synchronized binding.

4 hours ago, kgg said:

kgg

I have seen on YouTube that it sew with 160 needle and 10# thread.  It is probably the upper limit?

I am a hobbyist sewer who like to design bags and realise my designs.

IMG_5031.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

The Pfaff 335 was made in a few sub-versions, ending with the letter H and a number. H4 is the heaviest duty version that can actually handle a #24 needle and 207 thread. But, you might need to drill out the hole in the inside foot, throat plate and feed dog.

Depending on the H version, you might be able to use #92 thread and a #19 needle in it. But, if it lacks the standard four motion feed dog drive, and you have to purchase Pfaff parts to get it to feed on the bottom, you'll be spending almost as much as you would on a good used Consew 227 type walking foot cylinder arm machine.

I wouldn't recommend investing in that machine if it is one of the light duty versions made strictly for synchronized binding.

Thank you!  That is a lot of information to digest!  I have to start googling some words that you mentioned in your reply.

I have an old-model 335 that was used as a binder when I bought it. I bought a set of "normal" feet, needle plate and feed dog to convert it to a non-binder unit, although as Wiz said the feed dog still only moved back and forth. I managed to get it sewing with #138 thread but it wasn't really happy with it. The limiting factor with these machines is clearance under the feet, it's normally 8mm/5/16", I increased mine but had to readjust the needle bar and disable the thread release when the foot is lifted. It was an interesting exercise but not worth the effort, I've since restored it to a binder as that is what it was designed for.

If it's cheap enough then it might be handy to have, but if you want to use it as a conventional cylinder arm machine you will find it pretty limited.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

I have an old-model 335 that was used as a binder when I bought it. I bought a set of "normal" feet, needle plate and feed dog to convert it to a non-binder unit, although as Wiz said the feed dog still only moved back and forth. I managed to get it sewing with #138 thread but it wasn't really happy with it. The limiting factor with these machines is clearance under the feet, it's normally 8mm/5/16", I increased mine but had to readjust the needle bar and disable the thread release when the foot is lifted. It was an interesting exercise but not worth the effort, I've since restored it to a binder as that is what it was designed for.

If it's cheap enough then it might be handy to have, but if you want to use it as a conventional cylinder arm machine you will find it pretty limited.

Thank you for sharing, so I guess the difference between 335 for  binding and for leather sewing is large enough to cause a problem.

The deal is pretty good, $900 for a very new machine (paint intact etc.) vs. $1800 for a well used (paintwork worn) 335 dedicated for leather works.

Just curious how much would it cost to change out parts so that it will suit the work that I intended it for?  Even if I have to spend another $900 I think it would still be a better deal than the other run down 335 asking for $1800?

Edited by NEWAY

4 hours ago, NEWAY said:

I have seen on YouTube that it sew with 160 needle and 10# thread.  It is probably the upper limit?

I used the specifications for the PFAFF 335 from the pfaff industrial website which is for the newer model ( pfaff-industrial.com/en/portfolio/sewing-machines/cylinder-arm/pfaff335 ) which lists the needle system as 134-35LR and needle size from 80-100. Be careful with what you see as you need to know how thick and what type of leather as well as what modifications were made to the machine. Like @Wizcrafts said a used Consew 227R would be better. Another consideration would be a Class 341/1341 machine like a Juki 341 or 1341 or a clone.

kgg 

I concur, if you don't want the 335 to use as a binder then you will be better off buying a "conventional" cylinder arm machine, one with reasonable clearance (at least 3/8") under the feet. In the long run it will be more versatile and a better investment.

18 hours ago, NEWAY said:

Just curious how much would it cost to change out parts so that it will suit the work that I intended it for?  Even if I have to spend another $900 I think it would still be a better deal than the other run down 335 asking for $1800?

No matter what parts you swap out, you will not be able to get a 4 motion feed dog on this binder machine. The feed dog only moves forward and backward on this machine, which was designed to sew bias tape binding onto the edges. That means that the feed dog may actually fight the feed as it slides forward directly against the bottom of the leather.

If you plan to apply edge binding, this is a great machine. Otherwise, if you want it for normal sewing operations, you'll need a 4 motion feed dog, aka: a drop feed machine.

17 hours ago, kgg said:

I used the specifications for the PFAFF 335 from the pfaff industrial website which is for the newer model ( pfaff-industrial.com/en/portfolio/sewing-machines/cylinder-arm/pfaff335 ) which lists the needle system as 134-35LR and needle size from 80-100. Be careful with what you see as you need to know how thick and what type of leather as well as what modifications were made to the machine. Like @Wizcrafts said a used Consew 227R would be better. Another consideration would be a Class 341/1341 machine like a Juki 341 or 1341 or a clone.

kgg 

Good point, I didn’t think that there could be such big differences between different variants of 335.

Haven’t seen any Consew on my part of the globe.  Guess I will have to wait.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, dikman said:

I concur, if you don't want the 335 to use as a binder then you will be better off buying a "conventional" cylinder arm machine, one with reasonable clearance (at least 3/8") under the feet. In the long run it will be more versatile and a better investment.

Yup!  I didn’t realise that there are such big differences between different variants of 335, so the wait continues.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

No matter what parts you swap out, you will not be able to get a 4 motion feed dog on this binder machine. The feed dog only moves forward and backward on this machine, which was designed to sew bias tape binding onto the edges. That means that the feed dog may actually fight the feed as it slides forward directly against the bottom of the leather.

If you plan to apply edge binding, this is a great machine. Otherwise, if you want it for normal sewing operations, you'll need a 4 motion feed dog, aka: a drop feed machine.

Very well explained!  Thank you!  So the wait continues…

5 hours ago, NEWAY said:

Haven’t seen any Consew on my part of the globe.

Where are you located so other machine options that are more common in your area can be suggested.

kgg

On 4/28/2023 at 12:53 PM, kgg said:

Where are you located so other machine options that are more common in your area can be suggested.

kgg

I am based in Austria.  Just picked up a Adler 49-1 for price of a decent dinner.  May not meet my needs but it is a good start for me to familiarise myself with the machine and prepare me for the next purchase.IMG_6682.thumb.jpeg.2e3e801a53438571c7701a1c27c2c246.jpeg

30 minutes ago, NEWAY said:

Just picked up a Adler 49-1 for price of a decent dinner.  

Looks in great shape and a right handed machine to boot, very unusual these days.

kgg

6 hours ago, dikman said:

That is a great-looking machine! I love the exposed mechanics.

Just found out that it is similar (or possibly identical triplets) with the Singer 18 and Pfaff 24.

9 hours ago, kgg said:

Looks in great shape and a right handed machine to boot, very unusual these days.

kgg

It is indeed after spending half a day dousing it with sewing machine oil and managed to free it from its frozen state.

It appears that it has only been lightly used (from commercial machines perspective)

everything move smoothly except it is not feeding, the feeddog is slight worn but it moves, roller is free, perhaps roller need special set up?

11 minutes ago, NEWAY said:

Just found out that it is similar (or possibly identical triplets) with the Singer 18 and Pfaff 24.

IMG_6697.jpeg

When the roller is down is it resting on the feed-dog? Does it have any downward pressure to hold the material against the feed-dog?

6 hours ago, NEWAY said:

It appears that it has only been lightly used (from commercial machines perspective)

Very nice setup for the right handed user.

kgg