Sign in to follow this  
steve mason

pair of dove wing spur straps

IMGP23461a.jpgHowdy;

After looking through the TCAA catalogs, I was inspired to make a pair of dove wing spur straps. I wouldn't mind some critiquing of the strap pattern or the carving so don't be shy, you won't offend me.

thanks Much

Steve

post-1787-1195149821_thumb.jpg

Hey Steve,

smooth work with some nice carving... did you pattern those after Chuck's? I didn't realize you were in High River or I would have given you a call... I just spent two nights at the Heritage Inn there about a week ago. Was visiting Millarville for three days and wound up having dinner with Glenn and Jan in Claresholm.

Darc

ps. are you going to try and get a saddle in the show in Kamloops next March?

Very nice looking straps Steve. I also didn't know you were in High River, I lived there from 1988 to 1996.

Darc, which show is that in Kamloops?

Ken

Beautiful! I wish I wore spurs

Darc;

Yep, the basic strap pattern is based on the photos of chucks straps, but the carving pattern is mine. Lately I just feel like I need a tune up with my carving, I have been building to many ruff outs the last few years so I have not had a lot of opportunity to carve. A couple of my orders coming up have quite a bit of carving on them and I want to get back in tune with flower carving before I start them, so all input is appreciated from anyone. I am thinking I need a sit down with a good carver.

To bad about you being in town, you were about 10 minutes from my shop. Where you out to see chuck?

Steve,

I was out visiting Chuck.. trying to streamline a few process' and learn some new ways of doing things... it was an excellent trip! If I make it out that way again I'll be sure to give you a call. As for the carving, I know what you mean... I recently carved a gullet cover which is the first carving I've done in about a month... I can't bring myself to glue it down and I still have to carve the rest of the saddle. I know when I haven't carved for a while my work suffers in three areas in particular; the swivel knife work, the bevelling, and the backgrounding. Probably in a few other areas as well, but those are the areas that really stand out to me.

Beaverslayer,

the show is the Kamloops Cowboy Festival which is probably the largest show of it's kind in Canada. They've had a trade show for quite a number of years which has gone the way of most trade shows attached to poetry gathering; more crafts and tourist type trinkets than horse gear. Last year they add a sponsored western art show which was set up like a gallery but they only allowed flat work (paintings and such) to be displayed. This year they've added saddles to the show and are making it a juried show meaning examples of your work have to be submitted to a panel of judges who will deem whether or not it is good enough to be in the show. They are only allowing six entrants to display work so hopefully they will end up with some fine saddles on display. Chuck Stormes will be the final judge of the show (I forgot to try and grease his palms while I was out that way) and there will be a few prizes awarded. I'm hoping some good saddlemakers make an effort to submit work so the show has a chance to survive... Canada doesn't really have any gear shows of this kind, so it'd be nice to see it work out. Info about the show can be found at: http://www.bcchs.com/art.html

Darc

Edited by D.A. Kabatoff

Hi steve the spurs look great, not nit picking but i wear and make spur straps and was puzeled to see that you put the adjusting slots at that angle rather than away from the tension direction....erm do you understad what i mean, i normally make them so the slots are facing back away from the button, Don

Steve those are nice. finaly got my computer working again. Don by putting the adjusting slots at an angle you can place the adjustments closer together. This is how they were generaly done here in North America. Greg