Fraulein

Graduation Photo Album

Just finished this graduation photo album! Really happy with how it came out. 4-5 oz veg, pigskin lining and pockets.

Critiques accepted

Also, apologies for having to block out last name on cover. The young lady I made it for requested I not post it with her full name on it.

Thanks for looking y'all!

IMG_20230421_135954497_HDR~2 (1).jpg

IMG_20230421_135930681_HDR.jpg

Nice! Love the finishing!

Nice.  I like how you used the technique to make it look like multiple layers on the front.  The only thing that you might want to do differently is in the stitching along the top and bottom edges, don't run the stitching over the false layer edge.  The stitching along the top "layer" should continue around the corner, and the stitching along the bottom "layer" should stop before the false edge.  Other than that it looks fantastic.

/dwight

Looks nice :thumbsup:

Not sure what the 'thing' is at the point of the center piece (?) and I would myself maybe try one size smaller needle (might work, might not depending on the thread used).  "solid" stitching, without 'spaces' between.  The TYPE of needle sometimes a factor though. 

... not about your project, but generally...

• I think the "S" and "D" needles make the wrong hole... gives a stitch which looks "broken" with spaces.  they're very popular, just not my choice.
  • the "LR" point gives a very angled looking stitch.  Some folk really like it, though I tend to put it most only on projects for the girls.  Looks a bit "lacey" to me :blush:
  • and the "LL" point is by far what I personally prefer.  Stitching is very straight line, with no 'spaces' or 'gaps' in the stitchin'.

BACK TO YOUR project, since you didn't actually ask for all of this. :rolleyes:  this young lady will appreciate that for a long time ;)

lll.jpg

24 needle, LL point

277 thread, 6 per inch

Untitled-3.jpgcontrast LL and LR needles

I used dark thread so it would stand out clearly, but nothing else

was changed. the direction of sewing is the same

in both (parts fed into machine just the way you see), same size thread, same

number of stitches per inch.

The LR "looks" longer and has that staggered effect (like edge braiding lace).

The LL pulls a bit deeper, but fills the hole left by the needle.  Very straight line.

Oh, yeah - thread from Cowboy Bob on this site ;)

12 hours ago, DwightT said:

Nice.  I like how you used the technique to make it look like multiple layers on the front.  The only thing that you might want to do differently is in the stitching along the top and bottom edges, don't run the stitching over the false layer edge.  The stitching along the top "layer" should continue around the corner, and the stitching along the bottom "layer" should stop before the false edge.  Other than that it looks fantastic.

/dwight

Actually it is multiple layers on the front. Made the exterior in three pieces (top, bottom, spine) and put it together. I did the stitching over the layer because I thought it would help prevent those corners from coming up any over time

21 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Well done. 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, mikesherman said:

Nice! Love the finishing!

Thank you! Finish is Fiebings leather balm with atom wax

@JLSleather thank you so much for all that info about needles!! Never knew there were so many options, and was never happy with how gaping my needle holes were. This helps so much though! Also, not entirely sure what 'thing' you're referring to, unless maybe it's that little spot where I went over with contact cement when I put the pieces together. If so, that spot rubbed off easily later when I noticed it. Thank you!

Edited by Fraulein

9 hours ago, Fraulein said:

that little spot where I went over with contact cement when I put the pieces together. If so, that spot rubbed off easily later when I noticed it.

exactly what I thought.  down the road, I would recommend rub that off BEFORE the pics.  We here KNOW that look, but potential customers may not ;)

Again, I LIKE this :thumbsup:

And I saw it as separate pieces, but - and this is really just preference - I generally DONT sew over the step down :dunno:

13 hours ago, Fraulein said:

Actually it is multiple layers on the front. Made the exterior in three pieces (top, bottom, spine) and put it together. I did the stitching over the layer because I thought it would help prevent those corners from coming up any over time

Then your edging is really nice. The transition between the two layers is so smooth it looked like a single piece of leather to me.  Nice job.

/dwight