kgg

Steel Rule for Clicker Dies

I am looking for a supplier of steel rule either Centre Face, Single Bevel or Centre Face, Double Bevel preferably in Ontario, Canada. I am looking for small lengths rather then the large coils.

kgg

AmeriKen has stores all over USA.  They have large selection of clearance items with pricing, location, and description.

maybe you could get a good price to help pay for importing.

2 hours ago, kgg said:

I am looking for a supplier of steel rule either Centre Face, Single Bevel or Centre Face, Double Bevel preferably in Ontario, Canada. I am looking for small lengths rather then the large coils.

kgg

Here in the UK there's a company called Partwell I think. They sell in boxes of 1 meter lengths. Don't know if they have anything over there.

Can I ask how you process the rule steel?

30 minutes ago, toxo said:

They sell in boxes of 1 meter lengths.

For my needs the 1 meter lengths would be ideal. I plan on making my own dies probably using something similar to a Ring Bender ( www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0BV5NSW8G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LM4S0G8N062T&psc=1 ) or a DIY bender.

1 hour ago, ljk said:

AmeriKen has stores all over USA.

Thanks, if I can't find a supplier in Canada I just might have to import some.

kgg

8 hours ago, kgg said:

Thanks, if I can't find a supplier in Canada I just might have to import some.

kgg

That's similar to the one I use. Paid a lot more for mine. I started out using two steel rods in a strong vice. That stuff he's bending in that video is very thin. Rule steel is hard, 3 point will be hard to DIY so make sure you get 2 point. Forgive me if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs but if you like I can dig out some pics.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Forgive me if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs but if you like I can dig out some pics.

I would definitely like to see some pics / video's. I agree the video in the advertisement is really thin probably soft metal as the original purpose is for the jewelry craft. I came across a video by Harry Rogers using this style of inexpensive bender ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3HjGaSs2dY) but see he has since upgraded to a more robust bender (  www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquWzzaQSZg&t=16s).

kgg

2 hours ago, kgg said:

I would definitely like to see some pics / video's. I agree the video in the advertisement is really thin probably soft metal as the original purpose is for the jewelry craft. I came across a video by Harry Rogers using this style of inexpensive bender ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3HjGaSs2dY) but see he has since upgraded to a more robust bender (  www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquWzzaQSZg&t=16s).

kgg

I remember the H Rogers vid. I envy the guy his money, he seems to just buy whatever he needs for his next video. He is a likeable guy though and he tries to inform. That second bender was really expensive IIRC. Here's mine, not the best but it works with some effort. I sometimes (carefully) put a tube over the arm for more leverage even with 2pt r/steel and they are limited. 

IMG_20230503_134337_edit_1968362537839749.jpg

This bit will need to go in a vice if you haven't got it bolted down.

IMG_20230503_134320_edit_1968388409095474.jpg

This next bit needs some thinking about. If you have the means to hold it together accurately whilst you weld it that's one way to go. I don't

A cnc router type set up that cuts the channel in wood/resin for the r/steel to sit in is even better. I don't have that either.

I've found the best way for a poor boy to accurately do this stuff is to use wooden formers. You can trace the pattern onto the wood and accurately cut it out (slightly undersize). Bend your r/steel exactly to the pattern and fix it around the outside using screws.

The thickness of the wood (decent ply is best) will depend on the size of your r/steel and of course the thickness of the leather you need to cut.

R/steel is hard and although you can drill your screw holes, it's not easy and it's time consuming. I use one of these (not cheap but worth it). Even with 2pt steel you need strong hands.

IMG_20230503_134009_edit_1968414737439220.jpg

At the end of the day you can end up with something that makes it all worthwhile. These are some of my dies.

IMG_20230503_135124_edit_1968334654982982.jpg

And they make things like these.

P1010832 (2).JPG

IMG_20220509_215950.jpg

Good luck.

14 minutes ago, toxo said:

Here's mine, not the best but it works with some effort.

What brand etc. is your bender looks a lot better then the one I referenced? Are those Aluminum forming forms, plastic or PLA or ???.

14 minutes ago, toxo said:

I use one of these (not cheap but worth it).

Also what brand of punch etc? Looks at lot more convenient then trying to drill once the steel rule has been bent into shape.

Thank you and the end result seems very good. Also as you need a new clicker die you can make it at your own leisure.

For your press what are you using? I am thinking about using a hydraulic jack press probably like this one for $304 CA (  www.princessauto.com/en/12-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-shop-press/product/PA0009081597) as clicker presses are just too expensive.

kgg

4 hours ago, kgg said:

What brand etc. is your bender looks a lot better then the one I referenced? Are those Aluminum forming forms, plastic or PLA or ???.

Durston

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Durston-Metal-Bending-Set-prcode-999-7162?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL7CgejZ_gIVUu7tCh3lPAVCEAYYASABEgJaJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also what brand of punch etc? Looks at lot more convenient then trying to drill once the steel rule has been bent into shape.

Kennedy

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/punches-wad-and-hole/hand-operated-hole-punch-kit/p/ZT1001882X?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla%2B|%2BHand Tools&utm_term=ZT1001882X&utm_medium=pla_css_2&targetid=pla-394844308538&loc_physical_ms=9045025&dev=c&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1tPSqujZ_gIVSeDtCh3teQ2XEAYYASABEgIVJvD_BwE

Thank you and the end result seems very good. Also as you need a new clicker die you can make it at your own leisure.

Absolutely!

For your press what are you using? I am thinking about using a hydraulic jack press probably like this one for $304 CA (  www.princessauto.com/en/12-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-shop-press/product/PA0009081597) as clicker presses are just too expensive.

Up until now I've just used my 1 ton Arbor press. Because the wooden form is level with the edge of the r/steel it's easy to put a steel plate under the ram of the Arbor press and walk the bigger dies bit by bit. I use a 10mm plate about 6x4 inches. You just need to be careful and slide the die and the leather rather than lift. It's easy I promise you.

Having said that, I've been lazy lately so bought myself a swing arm clicker press to force myself to up my game. I messed up slightly. I'd intended to take up paypal's offer of pay in 3 to spread the load but after I received a proforma invoice, I learned that pay in 3 can only be used online. So it's depleted the finances a bit but it's ok. Can't wait for it to get here now.

https://www.alpress.co.uk/new-products.html

kgg

Thank you @toxo great information.

kgg

2 hours ago, kgg said:

Thank you @toxo great information.

kgg

You're more than welcome. Anything else, you know where I am.

I forgot to mention that I replaced the arm on the arbor press for a longer one and make sure it's bolted down. The arbor press is much nicer to use if you put a spring on the end of the arm so it's self releasing, even a bunch of rubber bands will do the job. Be sure to keep us up to date with your progress and of course, all the leather craft that comes from it.

6 hours ago, 1hp said:

bought some from these guys:

Thank you.

kgg