So I'm stuck in the hospital for like a week, bummer. I started to read and Watch videos on making shoes and boots. I'm thinking of the air Jordan's and blundstones boots. I have found some lasts on esty for like 40.i figure that's not bad as they can be used over and over, idk neverade these before. I have the Chinese leather shoe patches machine so that's a help. 

So I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting last? I'm almost thinking of making my own out of a block of wood. 

Any tips trick or advice would be awesome! 

I haven't tried shoe making yet, but I'm thinking about it!  From what I can tell, lasts can be used for quite awhile at least until they get enough nail holes in them to make them unusable.  Lisa Sorrell has a limited selection of new lasts at https://sorrellnotionsandfindings.com/product-category/shoe-lasts/ .  You can make your own, but I'm planning on purchased lasts as I'm no good at wood carving!  Harry Rogers has a few videos about learning to make lasts and shoemaking on his YouTube, and has also written a book on the subject.

- Bill

Funny enough I'm watching his videos right now. I found a could other good. Ones. If you google making air Jordan's. There are alot of good videos. Even if you don't want basketball sneakers the videos are full of good info and products as well. 

I'll be following this, too. I thought about making shoes for a few reasons but the last itself is the challenge.  Buying a last only to find it's not quite right for my foot would be a $50 or $60 mistake that I'm not willing to risk.

Funny enough I'm watching his videos right now. I found a could other good. Ones. If you google making air Jordan's. There are alot of good videos. Even if you don't want basketball sneakers the videos are full of good info and products as well. 

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1307330170/plastic-boot-last-shoe-mold-for-custom

Https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1069594352/shoe-plastic-lasts

If you don’t want to go to the expense of lasts, or are worried that you won’t be able to find ones that suit your foot, you can always make footwear without using lasts. Cling wrap (or cling film), masking tape or duct tape, an indelible pen, and thin card are all you need to make a pattern.

Years ago, a friend in the medieval presentation group I was in wanted to try to make shoes. Being on a tight budget but being clever he obtained a pair of boot style shoes about one size smaller than his regular fit. Then he removed some of the insole and poured in thick cement. almost concrete. When that had set he cut away the cheap shoe, covered the cement cast with scraps of thick-ish leather, obtained from me. Extra thick layers of leather on the sole area.

He made several pairs of medieval shoes on those cement/concrete lasts. His report was that the next time he would go down 2 sizes for the cast and cover the cast with strips of wood then cover that in leather. I don't know if he ever did that. Only real downside was that the cement casts were very heavy. 

Oh, btw, as the cement hardened he inserted an iron bar, about 12 inches long, so about 8 inches stuck out the ankle bit. With this he could hold the last in any vice of his choosing. And the cement cost him nowt as he was working on a building site and the boss allowed him to have some. After this my friend got the nickname 'the gangster' as he was making Chicago style concrete boots!

I sometimes have thought of copying his idea

Look up the Shoemakers Academy. Wade has everything you need to get started and he is also a wealth of knowledge.

Hello All,

I have about 1000 pairs of lasts from Dads shop. If you let me know which size you need I will bear you in mind when I start sorting them out, its on my very long to do list.

Regards,

Pauline 

1 hour ago, PaulineSul said:

Hello All,

I have about 1000 pairs of lasts from Dads shop. If you let me know which size you need I will bear you in mind when I start sorting them out, its on my very long to do list.

Regards,

Pauline 

I'm interested in lasts but I'm in the US and I bet the shipping would be a killer.  10.5 EEEE for me, if it somehow works out.

I'm following your adventure in the other thread with all the machines and kind of envious ... :)

Hello

It has seemed like such a mountain to climb, I wanted to honour Dad and all of his hard work but felt a little lost until I found this lovely group of wonderful, helpful people.

I am now on an adventure and hope to find new homes for items that will love Dads old machines 

I will keep an eye out for a pair of 10.5 e and we can look at postage once I have found them, there are literally a thousand so bear with me :)

btw; something to watch out for; UK shoe sizes are quite different to US shoe sizes; eg In the UK I buy a size 10 wide but in the US I'm an 11 regular, and size 10 UK is covered by 3 different EU sizes

Your father's lasts will probably be all standard UK sizes, no EU or US ones

edited to add in this guide

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/chart.php

Edited by fredk

Thank you @fredk I will bear that in mind

I have recently learnt you can follow members (when someone followed me), which is most useful. Any idea how I follow people?

I have posted in the machine forum, my find from yesterday and it was all with the thanks of this group as I had no clue what it was before. I now know its a skiver/strimmer and I have a different type too, not sure on which make but at least I had a vague clue.........before I just used to stand and stare and think what the heck ha ha I even oiled and cleaned it and made it work, my hands were a filthy mess but it was a change from office work..............

This group is fabulous!

Compress_20230611_124135_5513.jpg

Compress_20230611_124144_4810.jpg

Compress_20230611_124139_9606.jpg

Compress_20230611_124143_3023.jpg

Compress_20230611_124141_1422.jpg

Oh, my. What a very cool old machine. I think many members here would swap their second born for a chance to own it.

Following people - click on their user name and you'll see a "Follow Member" button towards the top. Click it and you're instantly a stalker!  I believe there's an option to not let people follow you, so you may not get the follow button.

@AlZilla I think Dad has preserved the cobbler heritage for half of the UK

I have a huge stock pile and such little knowledge that I need to be a stalker of all things leather and machine related

Today I unearthed these, Its like a full time job but now I have a little more insight I get quite excited

Thanks as always 

Compress_20230610_185059_9586.jpg

Compress_20230610_184927_7410.jpg

Brooklyn shoe supply has lots of different sneaker lasts

The machine looks like a take on a Landis 5in1. It's welt roller, a sole cutter, a heel trimmer, an edge beveller, and a skiver all in one. It cuts rubber and plastic very easily.

The sole presses look like they could use a real good cleaning, but should clean up well.  I just watched someone doing a YouTube restoration video on one. It was nicely done.  Definitely worth a watch.

Thank you for replying, I have so much machinery I am at a loss with it all and I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge. I would like it to go to a good home where it can be enjoyed and used.

Kind Regards,

Pauline