Frodo

Or picking up bobbin

Rex 26-188

I sewed 3 then reversed to sew 3 when the needle stoped like it was bent

i checked to see if all was clear it appeared to be

using my hand on the Pully. I forced the needle to go down

sewed Approx 6” the machine was not acting  right,  I found a rats nest along the stitch line

so I checked bobbin timing  and tension

after threading the machine it will pick up the bobbin thread, but look at this video 

this is what it is doing when I sew

I am concerned that I broke/ bent something when I forced the wheel to turn

35 minutes ago, Frodo said:

this is what it is doing when I sew

I looked at your first video as the second video seems to be not working. A couple of points I see:

i) you are not holding the bobbin thread and the top thread you seem to be holding it forward

ii) the top thread should go through the last guide just before going to the eye of the needle. Suggest checking your top thread path.

What size of thread and needle combination are you using. I'm assuming you are using the same size thread in the bobbin as for the top thread.

kgg

It is the same result if I hold the top thread to the back , side, or not hold it at all

yes the top and bottom thread are the same size

i m in the middle of a project and have been using the same needle thread combo all day with no problems at all 

the trouble started when I back stitched then forced the needle  when it hit a knot or a thread

image of tight stitch

image.thumb.jpg.f76bae2a602214d13af7f88ebc92af9e.jpg

image of stitch line that is affected

image.thumb.jpg.320665808381402e9cd17bd12fc868fa.jpg

8 hours ago, Frodo said:

i m in the middle of a project and have been using the same needle thread combo all day with no problems at all 

the trouble started when I back stitched then forced the needle  when it hit a knot or a thread

In the video at 09 to 14 sec you can see there is no tension on the top thread. The top thread is not in the round guide at the top of the needle on the needle bar.

Did you thread this guide with the same result?

Did you replace the needle with a new one after the original problem happened?

kgg

Where is the bobbin thread in these pictures? At the end of the video, it looks like a broken chunk of it is hanging in one stitch, then the static picture lower down, that tangle of thread all looks like top thread, too.

I'm guessing the thread nest in the lower pic is because you pulled those 2 layers apart?

May I assume you rolled the machine over by hand and observed the hook going around and grabbing the needle thread?

I'm really curious what's happening here.  Could there be a nest of crap under the hook/bobbin case area causing it to drag?

As soon as I read "I forced the needle to go down" in your second sentence, I cringed ...

11 hours ago, Frodo said:

Just to add here is a good video of threading the Rex 26-188: Note the video at 2:11for threading just before the threading the eye of the needle verses how your video shows it threaded at 09 sec.

32 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

I'm really curious what's happening here. 

kgg

I know @kgg is looking hard at that missed thread guide, but the raggedy/torn look of (I think) that chunk of bobbin thread at the end of the video is nagging at me.

I wonder, @Frodo - when you forced the needle down, did you maybe gouge the crap out of something that's eating the bobbin thread? How about that needle guard on the hook? Could it be way out of shape and tangling with the bobbin thread?

Will it pick up the bobbin thread, if you start from scratch?

17 hours ago, Frodo said:

I am concerned that I broke/ bent something when I forced the wheel to turn

When there’s a problem don’t forget to change to a new needle in case a slight bend is causing fits.

I couldn’t get the video to run for some reason, but it’s on my end I think - one video that did play seemed to show a needle with the tip broke off, but for the life of me nothing could get it to play again so I’m not even sure that was your video.

Sometimes a needle can bend and stab something with the point leaving a rough divot, that can fray thread.  If the point of the hook contacted the needle the very tip of it could be damaged causing frayed thread as the hook gets behind the upper thread, but frays it or even jambs up or breaks the thread.

I’m curious to see what you find out.

1 hour ago, AlZilla said:

I know @kgg is looking hard at that missed thread guide, but the raggedy/torn look of (I think) that chunk of bobbin thread at the end of the video is nagging at me.

I assumed the ragged thread was just that the end raveled out for an unrelated reason. At the 20 sec mark you can see the needle plate has received a few strikes over the years for one reason or another. Were any as a result of this incident who knows. If the top thread is allowed to flap out from the needle like in the video any top tension the top thread may have had is lost. Since bird nesting is usually an indicator of inadequate top thread tension I think it would be my first place to start. So I would replace the needle, re-thread the top thread from the thread spool to the eye of the needle, examine all the guides and tensioners. It appears to be V138 thread maybe V207 but it is hard to tell the size from the video so I thinking a #23 or # 24 for V138 or #24 or #25 for V207 depending on leather thickness.

I would also replace the bobbin with a fresh bobbin just to make sure it was installed, tensioned properly and inspect for any old thread.

kgg

Edited by kgg