YinTx

Second set of rolled handles ever done. Tote Bag Repairs

So, had a request to replace the "leather" pieces off of a tote bag.  As you can see, they were not really all leather, more like plastic coated split sections, with broken filler in the handle.  So I cobbled up some replacement parts, and did a set of rolled handles.  Not the best, but only the second set of rolled handles I have ever done.  Think if I have to do another set, I have ideas for improvement, but should be functional for this purpose!

1979691831_HelloKitty1LR.thumb.jpeg.30b7ffa216b755154af2cddc5fdf2444.jpeg

110025071_HelloKitty4LRLarge.thumb.jpeg.014f16220ddceb1ab3f10c5a1069bd37.jpeg

1612974803_HelloKitty2LR.thumb.jpeg.fab9970286c29d4d9d6c9c79c50e4d81.jpeg

1758259686_HelloKitty7LR.thumb.jpeg.e768c7ebbcb406716a15effd08d6bb97.jpeg

HelloKitty9LR.thumb.jpeg.52b3b11e0f290718f86ed47eb374c066.jpeg

Looks good.

kgg

Yeah, rolled handles are on my short-list wanna do, too. Those worked out nicely

But ... umm ... I'm a little shocked that you appear to have a "Hello Kitty" stamp in your arsenal.  :)

Turned out great! Always wanted to try rolled handles but haven't got around to it yet. 

22 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Yeah, rolled handles are on my short-list wanna do, too. Those worked out nicely

But ... umm ... I'm a little shocked that you appear to have a "Hello Kitty" stamp in your arsenal.  :)

Agree about the hello kitty stamp lol :lol:

43 minutes ago, kgg said:

Looks good.

kgg

Appreciate it!

22 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Thanks!... and uhm, yah. you saw that. lol.  Had to get one special made just for this.  Might not ever use it again, don't know tho!

1 minute ago, Fraulein said:

Turned out great! Always wanted to try rolled handles but haven't got around to it yet. 

Thank you much.  They are a bit of a challenge with some idiosyncrasies, I think after a couple it is easier.  for sure the second handle was easier and came out better than the first.  Still left a lot of room for improvement.

The handles look very nice. I use Stohlman’s method for handle #17 in Case Making v. 2 for a rolled throatlatch on horse halters. Might be too stiff for a bag. 

4 hours ago, TomE said:

The handles look very nice. I use Stohlman’s method for handle #17 in Case Making v. 2 for a rolled throatlatch on horse halters. Might be too stiff for a bag. 

I have that book, I'll check out the technique.  I think I referenced that book for the first set of handles I made, might be the same.  For some reason my vol. 2 is not hanging out with vol's 1 and 3 right now...

1 hour ago, SeaCitadel said:

Very nice.  Now the handles will outlast the bag in stead of the other way around.

Heh, yea thats probable!  At least I hope they do!

8 hours ago, YinTx said:

I have that book, I'll check out the technique.  I think I referenced that book for the first set of handles I made, might be the same.  For some reason my vol. 2 is not hanging out with vol's 1 and 3 right now...

I posted a writeup on halter making in the saddles and tack accessories forum.

Very neat work. I always look at the stitching first and yours is worth looking at. What core material did you use?

Those are some very nice handles. That really looks great.

In applications where that type of handle can be rigid, I like to bury the stitching completely. It makes for a more comfortable handle. I wet the seam then mold the leather both ways over the stitch line with a hammer. The photos were taken after that tote had been used for over 10 years.

DXCj4Nv.jpg

dJeTXXh.jpg

Edited by MarshalWill