SUP

Oil or wax on knife blades?

17 minutes ago, SUP said:

@chuck123wapati. That's nice! It is so satisfying to use things that have been around for a long time, knowing it will not be wasted. 

lol here's one of those old things not be wasted, Knowledge!!!  1935 edition 

book of formulas.jpg

That looks very interesting! What recipes, formulae and secret methods does it contain, if I might ask?

I always look for such old books at estate sales and flea markets. Never found anything but old recipe books.. 

35 minutes ago, SUP said:

That looks very interesting! What recipes, formulae and secret methods does it contain, if I might ask?

I always look for such old books at estate sales and flea markets. Never found anything but old recipe books.. 

it has a ton of recipes for almost every thing , from art like jappaning . cleaning , metals, paints and varnishes, glass, laundry soaps and household stuff a section called home chemists guide lol.. Really a cool little book. I love collecting and reading books about making stuff. There is so much lost knowledge out there in books that will be forever lost to the www.

here is an on topic subject for you. 

book of formulas1.jpg

2 hours ago, SUP said:

Join a local group who gather paper for re-cycling,   ;)  :lol:  Many years ago my wifey did some volunteering with such a groups and right from the start she said she told them she would be keeping old interesting books - but putting some money in to the coffers for them. We got several dozen old books that way. My favourites are 4 old 'magazine books from 1802 to 1816

A most excellent book there chuck. But be careful using those recipes which need lead!

@chuck123wapati japanning! Not heard that term for a while. Interesting recipes. Do we get the raw the ingredients these days? Need to find my magnifying glass to read them. 

@fredk that's a good idea. With so little paper being used, it is all probably being got rid of anyway.

Not that the recipe books are not good. I mean, the ones I found from church groups and women's clubs have recipes like "Susan's apple pie" and "Maureen's ribs".  The towns must have been so small with so few people at the time of publishing that the purchasers would know whose recipe each was! It's delightful!

Edited by SUP

14 hours ago, fredk said:

Join a local group who gather paper for re-cycling,   ;)  :lol:  Many years ago my wifey did some volunteering with such a groups and right from the start she said she told them she would be keeping old interesting books - but putting some money in to the coffers for them. We got several dozen old books that way. My favourites are 4 old 'magazine books from 1802 to 1816

A most excellent book there chuck. But be careful using those recipes which need lead!

yea you will find personal safety missing in most of the old books. how ever i did find a warning about fumes of mercury in the amalgamation of gold recipe lol. a guy needs to take proper precautions and some of this stuff may not even be possible to buy.

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol here's one of those old things not be wasted, Knowledge!!!  1935 edition 

book of formulas.jpg

That's a new old book.  I bet its packed full of useful information.

6 minutes ago, Littlef said:

lol yea the section on making your own fireworks could come in handy, seriously though there is a lot of good info that is still relevant. Some of it is just fun to read. What i find interesting is people used to be treated like they were smart enough to take care of themselves now a days we need an "expert" to tell us what to do.

18 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

What i find interesting is people used to be treated like they were smart enough to take care of themselves now a days we need an "expert" to tell us what to do.

Exactly! People were expected to have common sense and they did. These days, they have experts telling us everything - I mean, we have popcornologists and 'clutter consultants'.

and 'internet influencers'

My fav cook book is an American/Canadian (two writers, one from each country) book from about 1955. I can look up and try to cook or make foods I was brung up on

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol yea the section on making your own fireworks could come in handy, seriously though there is a lot of good info that is still relevant. Some of it is just fun to read. What i find interesting is people used to be treated like they were smart enough to take care of themselves now a days we need an "expert" to tell us what to do.

Absolutely.  I have a 1943 book that's entitled "A comprehensive small arms manual."  Its written for a homeland militia in the event if we were invaded during WWII.  It gives a very brief overview on how to use various common military weapons.  Its very dated, and some of the explanations are almost comical, but it was written to give people an idea of how to take care of themselves if WWII came to the US.  Today its not overly useful, but its an interesting little snapshot of the time.  

5 hours ago, Littlef said:

How do I get that book????

1 hour ago, Doc Reaper said:

How do I get that book????

Look on ebay. There's several out there right now.