DianeH

Soldering chain for vest chains

Im making vest chains and using a purchased one for my guide.  Everything goes well until I need to solder/weld the chains.  My chain is stainless steel.  Soldering isn’t adhering to it.  Can anyone tell me what I should use to accomplish this?  Different chain? Different method? All help is appreciated.  Thanks

a quick google search yielded this results.  Looks like good info on soldering stainless steel. (possible, but more difficult.)

https://bssa.org.uk/bssa_articles/soldering-stainless-steels/

Welding stainless steel needs an extremely hot weld. I used to have to turn my MiG welder full up just to get a small tack weld  on a car exhaust

Can you buy the chains ready made up?

Silver solder will do the trick but it requires careful surface prep and high heat.  It's been a long, long time but I did some fittings on a boiler I made.

I keep a box of firebricks for when I need to heat up steel.  Heat dissipates quick and it can be hard to get steel hot enough.  I just stack the bricks to make small enclosed insulated space just big enough to hold whatever I'm working on, and it helps retain heat.   - Might be helpful to get that stainless steel hot enough.  

1884981149_firebrickIMG_2305.jpg.04227ac98f083f0dfe7b1e0ffedfa9cc.jpg

Thank you all. I was afraid of that. Perhaps I’ll buy good chain that isn’t stainless steel!  
I could buy the chains but I really like making things myself. 

There's a lot of different chain repair links on the market, stainless too. you might find one that wouldn't look too out of place or kind of hide it in your work piece.