Bazza

Stitching thin material

Hi guys,

This is not about leather but about sewing fabric with my lockstitch machine. When I sew thin fabric the machine does not feed properly and the stitches are tiny..It seems to be making little jumps"

On thicker fabric its fine.

I have adjusted the pressure all the way both directions but that does not seem to be the cause. Also played around with feed dog height.

Any suggestions.?

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Hi guys,

This is not about leather but about sewing fabric with my lockstitch machine. When I sew thin fabric the machine does not feed properly and the stitches are tiny..It seems to be making little jumps"

On thicker fabric its fine.

I have adjusted the pressure all the way both directions but that does not seem to be the cause. Also played around with feed dog height.

Any suggestions.?

You might want to put a piece of paper under the foot & see if it pressure from the feet,if not you need to adjust your machine so the foot comes all the way down.If you need more help post make & model#.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:41 PM, CowboyBob said:

You might want to put a piece of paper under the foot & see if it pressure from the feet,if not you need to adjust your machine so the foot comes all the way down.If you need more help post make & model#.

Hi,thx for the reply. I just need to understand one thing..(well a couple things really). But mainly regarding this test.should the feed dogs be up or down?

I did the test with the dgos up and i cannot pull out the paper using the teflon thicker feet..However it comes out when I use the steel thinner feet.

With the dogs in the down position the paper is almost completely free when using the steel feet. A small amount of grip when using the teflon feet.

How can this adjustment be done.? 

26 minutes ago, Bazza said:

How can this adjustment be done.? 

What machine do you have, name and model number?

kgg

12 hours ago, kgg said:

What machine do you have, name and model number?

kgg

Hi thnx for replying..Its a standard straight stitch machine.

Would you know how to make this adjustment?

20230727_115509 (1).jpg

20230727_115518 (1).jpg

You might want to check the feet again with the feed dog down only this time tilt the machine back in the table,it's possible on this type of machine for the knee lifter to need adjusting,if it's still not going all the way down you'll have to take the end cover off.Take the foot off,loosen the clamp on the pressure foot bar & push the pressure bar down a few mm,re-tighten the clamp screw,put the foot on & check with the paper again.

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

You might want to check the feet again with the feed dog down only this time tilt the machine back in the table,it's possible on this type of machine for the knee lifter to need adjusting,if it's still not going all the way down you'll have to take the end cover off.Take the foot off,loosen the clamp on the pressure foot bar & push the pressure bar down a few mm,re-tighten the clamp screw,put the foot on & check with the paper again.

Ah ok...So just so I understand,,with the feeddogs down a piece of paper should still NOT slide out?

48 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Ah ok...So just so I understand,,with the feeddogs down a piece of paper should still NOT slide out?

That's correct.

Ye its perfect now.

The issue was the knee lifter not seated correctly and therefore the foot was not lowering to the lowest point.

You guys are the best

You’ll notice many of the feet commonly available today are different heights - sewing thin material it can be a little frustrating - luckily feet are cheap.