Tjohnson

Building a leather inventory to maximize efficiency and variety

I am ramping up to produce small leather goods (wallets, card holders, key tags, etc.) with several colors (usually two) in each item, both of leather and thread (usually one color of contrasting thread) for local farmers markets that I've been going to for the past two years. I like to be able to try out different color combos, so having a variety is good. Also, depending on the project I need different thicknesses of leather and thread. Obviously, it is cheapest to buy a 1/2 or full hide, but once I multiply the hides by colors and then weight (probably 3 different weights ranging from 1.2mm to 1.8mm), things start getting super pricey. An alternative is to buy full thickness and then split, but it looks like I'd have to spend at least $1500 on a hand cranked splitter to do the sizes I'd need. That $1500 would buy a lot of leather.

Any suggestions on how to best manage this? I can also dye and have quite a few dyes and natural veg-tan, buy that adds a lot of steps and time to a project. I also don't know how to dye and get the type of look that you see with Badalassi Carlo Pueblo leather.

Since I will be selling the goods, efficiency and quality of end product are key. Many will be branded to our coffee shop/roastery. I don't mind investing in equipment if it pays for itself over time; however, I also don't expect a very high volume since its just me working on the side.

What are people actually buying? What do your two years of experience tell you? What we think is fairly irrelevant, important is what people spend their money on. 

make stuff that uses the same thickness leather. you can do that easily enough with wallets, tags and such. you specd variations of less than one mm. pick the mid thickness and go with it.

15 hours ago, Tjohnson said:

I am ramping up to produce small leather goods (wallets, card holders, key tags, etc.) with several colors (usually two) in each item, both of leather and thread (usually one color of contrasting thread) for local farmers markets that I've been going to for the past two years. I like to be able to try out different color combos, so having a variety is good. Also, depending on the project I need different thicknesses of leather and thread. Obviously, it is cheapest to buy a 1/2 or full hide, but once I multiply the hides by colors and then weight (probably 3 different weights ranging from 1.2mm to 1.8mm), things start getting super pricey. An alternative is to buy full thickness and then split, but it looks like I'd have to spend at least $1500 on a hand cranked splitter to do the sizes I'd need. That $1500 would buy a lot of leather.

Any suggestions on how to best manage this? I can also dye and have quite a few dyes and natural veg-tan, buy that adds a lot of steps and time to a project. I also don't know how to dye and get the type of look that you see with Badalassi Carlo Pueblo leather.

. . . 

I keep a triple entry bookkeeping system. Because I need to be organised

1. several spread sheets on computer

2. 2 note books

On the computer spreadsheets I keep inventory of all leathers I buy; colour, square footage bought, thickness, type (veg or chrome tan) and then a rough price of per sqft (I take off a small & for the squiggly bits of a hide which can't be used) and which box they're in and where that box is. I need to up-date my spreadsheets as I keep forgetting to mark off which hides have been used up or have very little left

Another spreadsheet lists every project I make. It lists the leather(s) used, how much and the price, it lists the hardware, lace, a small amount for glue and dye and anything else, such as pens I supply in some pen cases. With this I can look and see how much each Item costs me to make and which thickness of leather I've used et cetera

Notebooks; One main one lists the same as that last spreadsheet. but its a working note book in which as I make an item I use the info in it and might change the info as I work on the project

A second  note book; I keep a note of how I make the item, rough notes usually. Changing the steps of construction as I go, to make the item better, or to put in fresh ideas on making an item, eg as I was making some pen cases I found that the stamps I was using could almost cut through the thin leather, so I noted down to glue in a thin piece of fabric over the stamps on the inside. Later I decided to try putting strap loops on the back of the pen cases; note on size and positioning of the loops was noted down

hth

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

make stuff that uses the same thickness leather. you can do that easily enough with wallets, tags and such. you specd variations of less than one mm. pick the mid thickness and go with it.

That's what I thought at first but then I wondered whether one doesn't need thicker leather for the outside of the wallet and thinner for dividers inside? I've never made one so I don't know...

@Tjohnson  That would mean two thicknesses, which should be doable.  

3 hours ago, Klara said:

That's what I thought at first but then I wondered whether one doesn't need thicker leather for the outside of the wallet and thinner for dividers inside? I've never made one so I don't know...

@Tjohnson  That would mean two thicknesses, which should be doable.  

yes some patterns do but usually not that close in thicknesses. some liners aren't even leather. he needs a definite idea of the pattern he intends to make first off.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:48 PM, Tjohnson said:

t looks like I'd have to spend at least $1500 on a hand cranked splitter to do the sizes I'd need. That $1500 would buy a lot of leather.

But simplifies your leather inventory, makes you less reliant on supply chain and gives you the ability to do other things going forward. And probably gives you a tax write off.

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up ordering a five 1/2 and one whole hide of the Badalassi Carlo Pueblo from Rocky Mountain leather, all in different colors, but all split to 1.2-1.4mm, since that will do for most of what I plan to make now. I couldn't see the point of getting smaller panels given the price per sq foot difference. I have cheap natural veg tan Tandy leather for prototypes. And yes, as @alzilla says, I will likely invest in a hand cranked splitter in the future since it can written off and will likely pay for itself fairly quickly with simplified inventory. Right now between my coffee business, farm business, and leather goods (mostly a tie-in with the coffee), I've got enough tax write offs.