327fed

What Needle to Use

I hate to hand sew but I have some work my Consew 225 won’t handle. I need to sew 2 layers of veg tan, 10-11 oz plus a thin pigskin liner. All I have and can seem to find is what they call “doll needles”. These come as a set of  3 or 4 sizes of 2 each, most too small, plus a curved set. I would like to find an online source that would have a pack the same size. Thanks. 

What size thread do you want to use?

10 hours ago, 327fed said:

All I have and can seem to find is what they call “doll needles”.

I don't hand stitch so I can't help with sizes but if you search for "stitching needles" or "harness needles" you should come up with a few options from places like Tandy and Weaver ( https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/collections/needles ).

kgg

According to the conversion chart I've seen 11 oz leather is 4,4mm thick; let's say the pigskin is 0,8mm thick, so the total thickness would be 4,4 + 4,4 + 0,8 + 0,8 = 10,4mm

I'd use John James Saddler's Harness Needles item code L3912 size 002 and 0,6mm diameter synthetic thread or size 18/3 or 432 linen thread

Beware - JJ needle sizing is confusing - make sure you buy size 002 and not 2/0

Rocky Mountain Leather Supplies  have these needles & thread, but there may be others

Most stitching chisels will not completely go through this thickness of leather so you will also need a saddler's awl aka diamond awl 

.030 waxed thread. I have the awls and the chisels. Just not motivated. If not for a good friend I would say forget it.

2 hours ago, 327fed said:

.030 waxed thread.. . . 

is that 0.030 of an inch? if so, I convert that to 0.76mm (I work in mm) or roughly 0.8mm. I think a saddlers harness needle of 0.8mm or 1mm should do. That would a JJ size 4 (50 x 0.86mm) or a 001/002/003 (which are all identical sizes of 55mm x 1.02mm)

Edited by fredk

Yes that is 0.030 inch. Thanks. 

JJ L3912 needles have small eyes and can only accommodate thread up to about 0,6mm dia

For thicker thread I use Tandy needles item code 1195-00 ; they are cheap enough at $2-99 for a pack of 10