panchoskywalker

Leather edge paint smells really bad?

Hello, I applied edge paint on a leather watch band I made and it smells really bad. I did not know these things had a expiry date.

Will the smell go away or not?

26 minutes ago, panchoskywalker said:

Hello, I applied edge paint on a leather watch band I made and it smells really bad. I did not know these things had a expiry date.

Will the smell go away or not?

What type of edge paint was it?  And the brand?

All chemical materials have an expiration date.  I have some Fiebing's Edge Paint that smells terrible in the bottle, but after it is applied, the odor seems to dissipate.  I actually have two, one black, one brown and only one smells bad.

As someone who has had a career of selling chemicals, and products comprised of various chemicals, I do not find it unusual that some products develop bad odors over time.  Many products, especially water-based, can harbor biologic growth, i.e., mold, mildew, fungus, algae, etc., etc. which can smell ripe.  Some products have inhibitors added to stem the grown of biologics, but many don't, and they don't work forever either.  

If I were you, I'd purchase the smallest practical size of paint and understand that it will indeed "go bad" at some point.  

18 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

What type of edge paint was it?  And the brand?

I live in Chile and bought it locally, it is made here and sold as "color shoes" brand. I am pretty sure it is not exported.

12 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

All chemical materials have an expiration date.  I have some Fiebing's Edge Paint that smells terrible in the bottle, but after it is applied, the odor seems to dissipate.  I actually have two, one black, one brown and only one smells bad.

As someone who has had a career of selling chemicals, and products comprised of various chemicals, I do not find it unusual that some products develop bad odors over time.  Many products, especially water-based, can harbor biologic growth, i.e., mold, mildew, fungus, algae, etc., etc. which can smell ripe.  Some products have inhibitors added to stem the grown of biologics, but many don't, and they don't work forever either.  

If I were you, I'd purchase the smallest practical size of paint and understand that it will indeed "go bad" at some point.  

I am thinking about sanding it and redo it with a new bottle as it smell so bad I doubt it will go away.

The smallest bottle available locally is 250ml and it cost US$4,5. It is pretty cheap but I will only use it once in while, and as it expired, I might spend a bit more for smaller quantity as it will probably end up in the trash can. Just thinking.

Two possibilities: Try airing the watch band for a while (outside of direct sunlight). You could also put it in baking soda (if you can get it cheaply) or alum.

Regarding edge paint in general, do you absolutely need it? Do you use any other dyes? You could try dyeing the edge (possibly with vinegaroon, that doesn't smell good either,  but once dry it's okay) and waxing it.

9 hours ago, Klara said:

Two possibilities: Try airing the watch band for a while (outside of direct sunlight). You could also put it in baking soda (if you can get it cheaply) or alum.

Regarding edge paint in general, do you absolutely need it? Do you use any other dyes? You could try dyeing the edge (possibly with vinegaroon, that doesn't smell good either,  but once dry it's okay) and waxing it.

I've sand all the edge paint out but the smell is still there, I can try the baking soda thing, for how long do you suggest to leave it?

Till the smell is gone or can't stand waiting any longer. I've never tried it myself, it's just something I've read.

I sand out the edge paint, left it overnight in baking soda but the bad smell was still there so I soak it in vinegar and it almost went away now.

Now I can use it.

bbb.jpg