JoeFresh

Singer 29K51 - Request

Hello! Hope everyone is doing well.

I recently found a 29K51 at a local auction and let me tell ya! It needs some loving. But hey, I figured I like tinkering and have a good mechanical background maybe I can restore this beauty. That being said, I browsed the forums for some documentation (manuals, parts books, part suppliers etc.). With little luck on some good solid information. I'm assuming this is just because the machine is so old and a lot of the documentation or parts suppliers are now gone.

If anyone has a pdf for the 29K51 operation manual, or a good restoration forum guide I'd love to read them. As well as a parts supplier as I definitely broke a couple pieces trying to remove stuck pins.

I have tried to attached photos of the 29K51 but the file sizes were too big - Right now it has been completely disassembled and I am in the process of cleaning all the little bits and pieces up in preparation for a reassembly.

Hey Joe , I am sorry to inform you that parts are no longer available for the 51 and have not been for well over 60 years . However a lot of parts are interchangeable with the 29K73. The parts that will cause you sleepless nights are the bottom end where the bobbin goes in . There are 3 small gears and a rake that are hard to find but you can rob them from a donor machine. I posted a few photos of some restoration machines that i have done but i cant remember on which post so i will re load them here for you . Before and after .

Having restored 6 29k's  I have learned a few things . Stripping them down and reassembling them is not really that hard but you do need a few crucial tools . To remove the pins use a correct size punch and to remove the main balance wheel use a pulley remover . Take good photos of everything for reference especially the bottom end bobbin section and the alignment of the bobbin rotation in relation to the needle and rake . when you disassemble a section put the parts into a ziplock bag and label them . There really is no need to remove the main shaft and the cam gear inside the head .My first restoration took 40 hours but i have got it down to 16.

There are PDF manuals online but the diagrams are of bad quality however the parts are listed with their numbers .

As long as the machine has all the parts then you are good . If all the machine needs is a clean up and you are satisfied with that then go for it . If you need help or advice let me know and i will do what i can for you . I take great satisfaction in resurrecting a dead machine . There is a video on you tube somewhere of a guy cleaning up a 51  from memory it is a 3 part video . I go a lot further than he does simply because i can and i suspect i might have a touch of OCD .lol

Regards 

Tas

rusty.JPG

bronzie.JPG

aqua 29k.JPG

1 hour ago, JoeFresh said:

I have tried to attached photos of the 29K51 but the file sizes were too big 

Read this post to learn how to resize your photos so they are under our limits. You can also try emailing the photos to yourself. Many mail servers are are set to reduce image sizes during delivery, including Gmail. Failing that, you can try compressing the photos by zipping them inside a zip file, using 7Zip, or Winzip. But, if you can access a graphics program that allows you to save at a lesser quality, and/or overall dimensions, use it. Check your camera, or phone camera to see what the smallest resolution is and retake the photos at that resolution. My Samsung A53 allows me to shoot as low as 1:1, or 3x4. These produce very small file sizes in comparison to 9x16 or full screen.

The 29K51 has a lot in common with the later 29K71 but the gear box is completely different and the pinions are no longer available. The 29K51 has a "drop out" gear box.

The 29K71 manual and parts list is very helpful but as said it has a different gear box.

I also have a German language Manual if you want it let me know

22 hours ago, Tastech said:

Hey Joe , I am sorry to inform you that parts are no longer available for the 51 and have not been for well over 60 years . However a lot of parts are interchangeable with the 29K73. The parts that will cause you sleepless nights are the bottom end where the bobbin goes in . There are 3 small gears and a rake that are hard to find but you can rob them from a donor machine. I posted a few photos of some restoration machines that i have done but i cant remember on which post so i will re load them here for you . Before and after .

Having restored 6 29k's  I have learned a few things . Stripping them down and reassembling them is not really that hard but you do need a few crucial tools . To remove the pins use a correct size punch and to remove the main balance wheel use a pulley remover . Take good photos of everything for reference especially the bottom end bobbin section and the alignment of the bobbin rotation in relation to the needle and rake . when you disassemble a section put the parts into a ziplock bag and label them . There really is no need to remove the main shaft and the cam gear inside the head .My first restoration took 40 hours but i have got it down to 16.

There are PDF manuals online but the diagrams are of bad quality however the parts are listed with their numbers .

As long as the machine has all the parts then you are good . If all the machine needs is a clean up and you are satisfied with that then go for it . If you need help or advice let me know and i will do what i can for you . I take great satisfaction in resurrecting a dead machine . There is a video on you tube somewhere of a guy cleaning up a 51  from memory it is a 3 part video . I go a lot further than he does simply because i can and i suspect i might have a touch of OCD .lol

Regards 

Tas

rusty.JPG

bronzie.JPG

aqua 29k.JPG

Great job on those restorations!!

Did you find a stencil for the logos?

Or how did you get those back on after painting?

I was thinking I needed to powder coat the body did you just use spray paint?

Lots of questions! haha. But really nice job. Inspiring!

I believe I only managed to break these two parts. Until I get everything cleaned up I may be looking for more.

730771873_PartsNeeded.PNG.9cef5444fe2a575f2afc177d0efae9ce.PNG1505605947_PartsNeeded(2).PNG.1acf689c6b63434cbb8e0eb8135e46fa.PNG

I am also open to the idea of selling the machine if anyone is interested. I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of using it to make awesome things so it may end up as a display piece in my shop for the rest of its life.

I am currently on the "wire wheel" every piece of the puzzle phase after disassembly and giving everything a good wash. Once I get all the bits and pieces cleaned up I'll share some photos of a spread of all the parts. Including the damaged ones for reference. Looks like I'm lucky that the gearbox was complete on my machine.

1791107342_29K51GearboxPhoto.thumb.PNG.badab9b4cf14a49966364d1b5f601bf1.PNG

Also thank you for the resizing tips! Worked!

17 hours ago, Constabulary said:

The 29K51 has a lot in common with the later 29K71 but the gear box is completely different and the pinions are no longer available. The 29K51 has a "drop out" gear box.

The 29K71 manual and parts list is very helpful but as said it has a different gear box.

I also have a German language Manual if you want it let me know

Would you happen to be able to send me that German Manual?! My Father in law is Old German. I would love to see his face if I showed him the manual!

Joe , No such thing as stupid questions only stupid people ,lol

I found some water decals on Etsy from a small business in Brisbane Australia ,However they don't really stick that well to hammer tone powder coat  . I found a retired sign writer who took a photo of the originals and some measurements and cut me some beautiful decals in various colors and sizes .  Even the sticker type don't really like the hammer tone . 

The bronze machine was powder coated , Although i love the color i would probably not powder coat again for a few reasons . You have to mask up really well and the special tape is expensive  . There is something about cast iron that makes the coat pop with pinholes . I think the cast iron is porous and the baking process expands the cavities and you can get a funny effect in some places . I knew this so opted for a hammer tone to try and mask these flaws . I can live with what i got but would not do it again . The treadle frame on the other hand come out fine . I have found that a good quality engine enamel and primer are the best combination . You may also nee to do some fine bog work which is not compatible with powder coating .

My standard process is as follows .

Spray the machine with penetrating oil to make disassembly easy

Degrease all parts 

Remove any loose  rust and crap with a wire brush or wire wheel in a grinder 

paint strip the main body and all painted parts 

In a tub large enough mix 1 part phosphoric acid with 10 parts water . you can go stronger . The acid will only dissolve the rust and only mildly etch the metal . Phosphoric acid sound dangerous and hard to get . It will burn the skin so wear gloves and eye protection and have a plan in case you spill some on you .Just be careful . Its is available from cleaning chemical suppliers or wholesalers and is about $80 a gallon . Mix a large tub for the main body and wheel and a smaller bucket for all the other bits and screws . 12- 24 hours is what it takes . once done wash off the acid with a hose and some soapy water and let dry . The metal will oxidize very quickly so act fast and go over everything with a wire cup wheel on a grinder and it will shine nice .this also buys you some time ti get the painting done. Paint all the parts you are going to pain and while the paint is curing you can work on polishing the bits .

To polish the bits is an art but also just a basic step by step process .  for this you need a bench grinder with a stainless wire wheel on one end and a woven polishing wheel on the other . you will also need a grey cutting compound . I also use a series of scotch brite belts and pads for the polishing of the arm and screw heads . You may or may not have these but are worth getting even for your motorbike work . The art is knowing where and how to hold the pieces when polishing because the can go flying and end up down the street . I use a cordless drill for the screw heads and vice grips for other parts . The parts can get a bit hot to the touch so wear gloves . Take photos over every part before you disassemble and label the parts so you don't have grief later. Take special note of the positioning of the gear box and how the bottom positioning relates to the bobbin carriage above it .

Parts 

The cammed balance wheel can be retro fitted from a current machine or a 29k 71,72,73   

The other parts can also be retro fitted from later machines also ,Search Ebay singer 29K and some parts will come up .

If the machine is missing parts and not working then it is not of much value but only a donor machine for parts , So before you invest time and money make sure you are onto a winner .

If you decide not to proceed with the restoration and decide to sell it for parts i want first dibs on the bobbin gear box and rake . I have a restored machine that needs the main bobbin gear and then its back on the road for another 100 years   

Attached is a 29k ready for painting 

I hope i got my sizing right or Wizcrafts the pixel nazi will be after me .lol

bare 29k.JPG

bare 2.JPG

Edited by Tastech
insert another photo

Hello Tastech,

Thank you so much for all the great information! I'll keep this pinned so I can reference it in the future. I was going to powder coat the body but I'm now thinking otherwise haha.

I'm leaning towards rebuilding the machine as a "Display piece" and not a functioning machine - With this in mind if you'd like parts for the machine let me know and I can get them cleaned up and we can work something out. 

I can email you some better photos of the parts you'd want and such as well. I also have the original cast iron base that the sewing machine was mounted too with the foot pedal. 

Regards,
Joe

Edited by JoeFresh

15 hours ago, JoeFresh said:

Hello Tastech,

Thank you so much for all the great information! I'll keep this pinned so I can reference it in the future. I was going to powder coat the body but I'm now thinking otherwise haha.

I'm leaning towards rebuilding the machine as a "Display piece" and not a functioning machine - With this in mind if you'd like parts for the machine let me know and I can get them cleaned up and we can work something out. 

I can email you some better photos of the parts you'd want and such as well. I also have the original cast iron base that the sewing machine was mounted too with the foot pedal. 

Regards,
Joe

Hey Joe ,Do you have a color in mind? I love the old school engineering and quality of workmanship of these old machine yet i am not a traditionalist when it comes to color . The way i see it is that there are 1000,s of standard black machines in the world and will be for a long time so when it comes to a new paint job i try to think outside the square and choose a color to please myself . In many cases i work backwards and discover a color i like  then find a machine to paint in that color. I have already chosen a color for my next machine but do not have the machine yet . The color is a metallic orange called burnt orange . I have seen a few pick up trucks with this color and i love it . If your machine is going to be just a looker then go all the way or 'Fully Sick'  as we say in Australia  Consider automotive paints and their vast palate of colors . I am excited for you because i know it will give you great satisfaction when the job is done . The philosophy of my restorations is i want the person looking at the machine to get the urge to lick it because it looks so good .lol  

I have sent you a Private message with my email and some instruction so check you messages 

Cheers 

Tas

Some 100 year old shoe makers hammers restored from rusty junk to back at working making shoes 

They are both George barnsley's  

george barnsley mammers.JPG

I'm thinking to go with some sort of Harley Gold with Black accent. To match the color pallet of my favorite Harley paint combo. (Attached is the inspiration) I also have the original base that the machine came on so maybe I'll get carried away and hit it with some chrome haha!

Beautiful hammers! What type of shoes do you make? Do you have a link I can check out? 

6e69086214c92063339ffc80f8437e55_ad11ee08de139a34.jpg

Also - Attached URLs for the 29K51 when I first brought it home.

https://ibb.co/Sx7S3c5
https://ibb.co/cCGZKSX
https://ibb.co/zhnVJwy
https://ibb.co/HY62YNy
https://ibb.co/W6GC4KM
https://ibb.co/3RdY4pj
https://ibb.co/sRsQLWx
https://ibb.co/Gtkn9TM
https://ibb.co/GCCNW16
https://ibb.co/f2YM3Mt
https://ibb.co/ch6Qt0F
https://ibb.co/J3cPgrL
https://ibb.co/7Jzrzvm
https://ibb.co/HTFJc25
https://ibb.co/P4HmnmN

Thats a nice color , Really nice . I see the machine like this . Main body and rocker arm in the bike color , Balance wheel and hand wheel in black . Treadle frame in black with the singer logo in the body color  maybe even the belt wheel in body color . All the knobs , screws and shafts and cover plates in high polish metal .  The make or break is balanced proportions . Too much of one thing is boring . What makes the bike attractive is the balance of color  not the color itself . 

The treadle frame has it own problems with color as well  because it is cast iron made in a mold it has flaws that cant be ground out and they will always catch your eye and annoy the crap out of you . Therefore i suggest a powder coated hammer tone which makes the flaws invisible . The frame needs a bit of grinder work to smooth out some burrs but not really that much . Break down the frame , get it sand blasted and under coated then hammer tone black  . I have attached a photo of a frame i did which is hammer toned in a black/silver . It should be available in your neck of the woods .I believe it is a dulux color . the main body of the machine will also need some body filler to smooth out the casting flaws . That is easily done by yourself 

To show you what i mean about color balance i will post another photo of the aqua machine in full aqua , compare it to one of my previous photos and which looks so much sexier 

Chroming the parts would be expensive and over kill . Follow my acid tips and go the polishing process  .  I can explain the process and the materials you need on a later post . Anything you learn or have to spend would always come in handy for moto-bike restoration or detailing anyway so think of it as an investment .

Don't worry if you balls things up , think of it as a practice machine for the next one that comes along . There will be another .lol You don't find the machines but they seem to find you . You are then obliged to the sewing machine gods to restore the machine or you will be forever tormented . Just one of those things .lol

That poor old machine was just screaming out "Please love me ". looks like a few generations of spiders have been calling it home for quite a few years . Where did you find it ? whats the back story ? A good back story is just as good as the machine so always ask .

full aqua.JPG

hammer tone black-silver.JPG

hammer color.JPG

Gorgeous rebuilds!    very very nice.   Hammertone paint?

glenn

11 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Gorgeous rebuilds!    very very nice.   Hammertone paint?

glenn

Hey Glen. Yes its called a hammer tone finish . There is a hardware store type enamel but it is not as nice as the powder coat . The hardware store enamel has a bigger color range but lacks the depth or texture of the powder coat . Brush painting the enamel is more effective than spray painting though . If you are aware of what you are looking at you will notice quite a lot of machinery is painted in hammer -tone. I love the stuff especially on cast iron or metal that has flaws . There is also another similar type paint that is called "ripple effect" its usually available in auto shops but has a limited color range . The ripple is in a spray can and goes on like a normal paint it starts to ripple as it dries . Shake the can well for a long time or it may not ripple consistently as i found out once . I will attach a photo of the ripple effect so you can get the jist of it  . Singer did a 29k71 in black ripple effect back in the 50's . You will see it on the rocker covers on engines built around the 60's-70's. I have only ever seen it in black .

I just consulted my color chart and the Hammer tone silver/black is officially called Dulux " surreal effect" Aztec silver. 

There is an equivalent made by Interpon ( which is the one i had done on the frame ) called "interpon ripple Hammer mystique "

If you have a powder coater near by go and grab some swatches , you will be inspired for sure .

Ripple.JPG

I have used it before.  Nice stuff

Tas..... How you know so much about these machines is inspiring!

Necessity is the mother of all invention . Growing up with a tight arse old man ,If you wanted something you either saved up to buy it or you stole it . To save up was a lot of work for a kid and it taught me to think laterally ,be creative ,to believe in myself and just have a go . Once i got something i looked after it well . In the process you learn a few things and i think it shapes your thought process in the long term . I am sure just about everyone on this forum can relate . This is why we make things after all . The idea is conceived in the mind then broken down into components . The process becomes apparent and you have to do what you have to do with whatever means you have to make it happen .  From fixing my own push bike to working odd jobs as a kid to doing my own mechanical repairs on my first car i learned things along the way . As i mentioned that my old man was a tight arse , I did not own a new pair of shoes till i was 16 . hand me down shoes , hand me down clothes , hand me down toys ,you name it . My first pair of shoes i had made for me in a style i designed . I paid for them by selling newspapers on a street corner after school . My second new pair of shoes i made myself under the instruction of the old guy who made me my first pair . Because i was footwear challenged as a kid i was attracted to the trade . With making shoes there is a lot of machinery that tends to break down and in my part of the world no one to fix them . So i would have a look ,find the problem and come up with a plan. The hardest part is finding parts . I love an old machine and can appreciative the work it has done and the money it has made over the years . I would not go as far as to say they have a soul but there is an essence to them . From the design and function to the people who made it to the people who use it . Keep in mind these machines were conceived with a thought , drawn on paper with a slide rule and pen . The measurements were calculated in someones brain and written down. The drawings presented to a foundry and machinist and everything was done by hand and brain .No CNC machining and robotics back then . When i see i tired old machine it gets into my head . I can see what it was , what it now is and what i can make it become .  The machine possesses me and if i don't know what to do, the machine reveals its secrets and what needs to be done soon becomes apparent . The machine wants to be resurrected and i have no say in it . I am just the hands and the wallet that makes it happen .Along the journey you learn things about the machine and about yourself . The end result is very satisfying but what you always remember is the journey. Whether its a sewing machine , a motorbike ,a car or what ever  . I try to apply every skill i have and then some . I like beautiful things so i try to make things beautiful ,not for anyone else but for me . Some how the machine finds its way to me and together we go on the journey . Its the state of mind i get into that is like a meditation and as a result is soul redeeming  . Or maybe i just have a mental illness . LOL

Reading what i just wrote i got a little philosophic there  but i am not deleting .

In short do what you love and love what you do .