BadKarma

Howdy from the SW Missouri Ozarks!

How y'all doing? Thought I might introduce myself. I'm a 60 years old Navy Battleship sailor, 81-85. I recommissioned the USE New Jersey BB62 and served aboard her until 1985. I was born and raised here in the Ozarks. How I ended up a Navy sailor I'll never understand! I'm August 2020 I spent 10 days in ICU and the hospital! Diagnosis: total kidney failure and a gastric bleed! I was automatically declared, disabled, so I now have a huge amount of time on my hands. I've always had a big interest in mountain man crafts and leather is very appealing to me. At the moment the little things and knife sheaths are my focus. I already have most of what I need, I did a lot of crafting when I shot a longbow.

Well, I just thought I'd say Hi!

BadKarma

(Lee)

Welcome!  I'm in Villa Ridge and travel regularly to Springfield Leather to pick out hides that were tanned in Saint Louis (Hermann Leather Co).  We have some great local resources for crafters.  Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have and wishing you well.  Look forward to seeing some of your sheaths.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Welcome!  I'm in Villa Ridge and travel regularly to Springfield Leather to pick out hides that were tanned in Saint Louis (Hermann Leather Co).  We have some great local resources for crafters.  Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have and wishing you well.  Look forward to seeing some of your sheaths.

Well, hello neighbor! I'm down just East of Branson. I've been to Springfield Leather many times. I'm planning on heading up there next month to pick up a bag of remnants to learn on. Travel is a bit of a pain right now. I have dialysis 3 days a week. Thanks for the reply!

Welcome BadKarma from a fellow Missourian!  I'm in the St. Louis area myself.  Born and raised here as they say.  

Springfield Leather is one of my favorite places to visit, period.  Three of my children went to college at MO State in Springfield, so I had lots of opportunities to visit.  I love the place.

Don't pass by that large box of leather remnants that they sell by the pound.  There are some amazingly nice scraps in there that are perfect for making small items.  And some surprisingly large pieces at times that you can even make a decent sized bag out of.  You grab it, they weigh it and when you pay, you go "that's all?".  

Sorry to learn about your health challenges.  As a cancer survivor myself and currently suffering from Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostisis, I understand.  DISH sucks!

There is a pastor who also lives not far from you who frequents this place.  I'm sure he'll be along to say hi.  He's a good man.

Howdy!!

Yo Badkarma, I'm a jarhead that was at Lejeune and yes - I drank the water. Sorry that you have health problems, are they service related? I have a thing for leather as well. 
The first few things you build are going to teach you many things. Like how to pay attention. Build things out of heavy weight paper to see how it fits together. Then use that as a pattern for your leather build. If you can build your own tools (I use galvanized pipe nipples to cut strap ends that are rounded - 1/2 inch up to 1 inch, to keep from my bad cutting) I use a razor knife to cut. I have made vinagaroon to dye leather black because chemical dye is expensive. If you have questions any one of us are more than happy to to give answers. 

Thanks guys!! 

My disability isn't service related, as far as I know. Diabetes and covid did the trick. I got sick in 2020, but 2018 I was riding a bicycle over 100miles in a day! Now I can barely walk 200 yards.

Any way, I've been binging leather craft videos for over a week and almost all of my tools will arrive today!! 

Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I have a nice shed, but it's trashed and about 100 yards away, so my big goal for when the temps get back to same kevels, is to walk out there and get it in proper order!

Hi Lee, I guessing your not for from Springfield? If you have time & want to explore this leather thing more in depth stop by Springfield Leather Company. Everyone there is always helpful & they've never tried to sell me anything i didn't want